Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leaking exhaust Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaking exhaust Manifold
    Posted: June-20-2005 at 3:58pm
I have a 81 Nautique, has a pin hole leak in one of the exhaust manifolds. Is it very hard to change? Afraid the bolts will break and have to redrill holes in the heads. Can it be patched with anything? so we can get the rest of the summer to use the boat.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 6:12pm
Hopefully the last person to bolt the manifold up used anti-sieze on the bolts and hence you will not have a problem. Even so, I would bet it comes off just fine.

If the hole/leak is small and to the outside only, you will do no harm just using it the way it is this summer and fix it this winter.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 9:42pm
David, was it you that posted an earlier fix for cracked manifolds? Someone (maybe you?) had the great idea to drill a series of holes along a crack, sized to tap threads into, screw a screw into the hole, gind off the head, and drill and tap a hole right next to the screw that you just inserted. Repeat until the whole crack is filled. I think they said to begin by drilling a hole at each end of the crack so the crack will not spread.

Now if the problem is a leaky gasket - that's another story altogether.

As far as frozen bolts go, if you are real good with an acetylene torch you can expand a bolt by turning the head cherry red with a lot of heat so as to do it quickly and minimize heat transfer into surronding parts, have a water squirter ready so as soon as you remove the torch squirt a lot of water on the cherry red bolt head to cool it quickly, before the surrounding parts have a chance to cool. I usually pour water on the bolt head until it almost stops giving off steam.

Immediatly follow the water squirt with your wrench. If the part is on your bench you can pour water from a can or bottle instead of squirting it. The idea is to cool the bolt quickly and not the surrounding area. Try not to let the water run onto the area surrounding the bolt. If done properly the bolt will easily unscrew. If you find it does not unscrew walk away from it unti it completly cools down and try again with more heat and more water. I have used this technique a lot over the last 40 years. Don't set your boat on fire. Flaming plastic is hard to extinguish.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2005 at 2:38am
See my post here: http://www.the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=52

If the manifold is cracked but in otherwise good shape, you could try something like this:

http://www.locknstitch.com/

DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 2:35am
hey buddy if its just a crack or pin hole and you dont wanna take out the manifold grind it down with a air tool with a metal grinding bit and then get some quick steal from a parts store and mix up some in your finger tip then press in where you grinded the hole and wait for it to dry 30 minutes and have fun you can sand it down a bit and paint to match manifolds this is what i done so i wouldnt have to buy new ones this year works great put 30 hours on it so far and no problems hope it helps
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 10:11pm
Hey man, I have the same problem on the same boat. Well... my exhaust risers are the cracked ones. We did replaced the manifold right after we got the boat though b/c they were cracked...

But anyway, a quick solution I'm using for this summer is red hi-temp cilicone. Since the manifolds are cast iron it's really hard to fix them any other way than just replacing them, but the hi-temp cilicone seems to be working great for now.

Good luck.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2005 at 2:48am
Just wanted to update, I took the advice of using Quick steel as temporary fix of my leaking exhaust manifold on my 81 SN. Put some over the hole and it has worked fine now for the whole summer. Will try to change the manifold this winter. I tried some other products but they all burnt up and the hole was still there. Quick steel works great!
Scott
Our 94 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic