Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muffler size fro a bigblock

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffler size fro a bigblock
    Posted: August-24-2010 at 12:03am
Help! Sprung a leak in one of my mufflers, guy crushed it when he replaced the floor! I know SkiDIM has them in stock but it's raining here in Maine and rather dark and instead of getting wet in the driveway I'm hoping someone can tell me for sure what size inlets my 1985 Ski Nautique 2001 w/ 454 PCM engine has I'd really appreciate it!
I know I can measure it but I want to get a new one ordered tomorrow so I can possibly get the boat back in the water for this weekend.
I'm thinking it's 3.5" but am hoping someone can confirm this.
thanks
Bill
2006 BMW R1200RT
1970-ish Chang Jiang Sidecar rig
1989 Kawasaki EX500 Track bike
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 12:16am
YOU ARE CORRECT..........
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 12:22am
Thanks , you wouldn't know if SKIDIM carries a 3.5" muffler would you? I checked their website and saw only the 3"
Hoping to find one online and order it in the am.
regards
Bill
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:34am
Call the boat nurse and see if she can get you one asap. I am assuming, that she has one seems how the boat doc answered you. Just a guess on my part though.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 2:21am
Yes she can @ Mycorrectcraftparts.com

They are a site sponser too......
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 2:55am
the majic words here are 'site sponsers'...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 11:48am
Whomever you call you better go check that 3.5" dimension yourself, I do not believe it is correct. I have not seen a 2001 boat other than an 89 with a vernay muffler with any bigger than 3 inch exhaust and mufflers. I checked with Eric last night as I knew he had recently removed a cracked muffler and replaced them with stainless pipes on his 86 2001 with a 454 and he confirmed the exhaust is all 3" on his boat. Someone else might know the 85 to be different.. but I would go measure myself at this point.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:00pm
I know in my 85 with the 351 we have 3" there is no room for anything bigger in between the main and secondary stringers.

-Phil
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:25pm
Without going to look, I'm pretty sure mine is 3.5" off the riser to an elbow/reducer to 3".

Edit-I went for a look; the elbow is 4" to 3" ID.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Without going to look, I'm pretty sure mine is 3.5" off the riser to an elbow/reducer to 3".

Exactly. All the 2001 boats I've seen have 3" exhaust no matter what the engine. It'd be pretty obvious at the outlets if it wasn't.

SBF SN & BBC BFN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:49pm
Yep, what he said...3" from the elbow to the thru tips.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 3:09pm
Hollywood, is that your motor in the picture?

Never mind. I just saw BFN's in my elec. distributor thread.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 3:32pm
Probably unneccesary at this point, but I can confirm that most big blocks used 3" outlets. Our '79 OMC was 3" front to back (mufflers included). Allegedly some of the HO 454's (which I have never seen with my own eyes) had dual 4" outlets, though its not clear if that was a factory or dealer install. Not sure what size the Pythons used- but wouldnt be surprised if they were 4" as well. All single exhaust (89+) CC's used 4". Ive never seen a 3.5" outlet on a CC.
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 11:10pm
Thanks to everyone that responded. I ordered a new muffler today from Richard at SKI DIM as this correct craft parts place never returned my phone call. I left a message stating I had gotten their information from this site along with my work phone number (twice) perhaps it was my thick Maine (with a heavy dose of Mass.) accent they couldn't understand but frankly I feel like I got blown off by them.

I have done business with Ski DIM in the past with Richard specifically and have always been treated great.
Now hopefully my part will find it's way to Maine by Friday as we're supposed to have yet another gorgeous summer weekend!
Again many thanks to those who responded! I truly appreciate your time and comments.
I'll be asking about wiring harnesses this Winter!
cheers
Bill
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic