Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose center pole

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kimrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose center pole
    Posted: August-25-2010 at 8:41pm
I have a 1996 ski nautique 176 with a loose center pole from the add on "fly high pole". The nuts on the U bolts are tight, but its loose on the bottom of the floor. Is there an angle plate that is fiberglassed in or any ideas on how to repair this?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 9:26pm
Are you referring to the bolts down near the hull which you need a yoga position to get too?
Tim D
Kimrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 12:25am
Bolts on the U clamp top and bottom are tight. The entire thing moves at the hull about 1/2 inch and yes you are in the yoga position
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 1:41am
check the alluminum frame onto the where the u clamps are bolted...it might need some welding...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 11:49am
Kap, I ski occasionally behind a 93 and last time out we heard a pop in the pylon area while pulling a skier. We found the pylon is now moving front to back about 1/4" . Same as above poster the u bolts are tight. We found the small through bolt at the hull was in place and tight but the pylon in shifting in the hull mounting cup again front to back on that bolt. We checked the frame for weld cracks but found nothing out of the ordinary.

We figure we'll pull it apart over the winter and see whats going on but if anyone has any ideas on this we'd appreciate any input.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 1:02pm
I think Kap is right on the money. If even one of those u-bolts is tight (let alone both), that pylon isnt going anywhere... that is, unless the cradle is broken. I would inspect it closely. The cup in the hull doesnt need to be tight or provide much support since its at the bottom of the torque arm.

One of the cradles that came from the 92-95 Ski Nautiques that were parted out came to me with a broken weld where the cross member attached to the side, so they do break. We had it rewelded and will be using it in our BFN.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 1:08pm
Thanks Tim, we'll have to take another look at it. That is a hard area to really see so our inspection was by hand just feeling all the welds and we didn't find anything. I was skiing at the time so I didn't hear it but it was a loud enough snap that they stopped the boat to inspect.

Looks like we'll be cleaning another bilge this winter!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic