Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wiring help needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MAJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wiring help needed
    Posted: September-02-2010 at 1:48pm
I'm still not getting any spark I read through the manuels with little help. I've replaced the solenoid and the coil(the positive post was cracked and would not tighten).
My question: The main power wire coming from the dash buss bar should it be hooked to the same terminal that the positive battery cable is on? or to the small terminal? Also there is a purple wire in the harness does it get connected to the solenoid or does it get hooked to the (+) side of the coil where the purple wire from the distributor goes?
I checkd the (+) wire coming to the buss bar and it doesn't have power thats why I figured maybe it hooks directly to the same terminal as the battery cable. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks Mark
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:29pm
If your not getting any power to the engine from the dash try reseting the 40 amp breaker on the back of the engine.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

MAJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:41pm
I've done that. The main wire coming from the buss bar to the solenid is hooked to small terminal. I don't know if it's right or not. There's no other wire going to the buss bar to feed it power thats what's confusing. if I take the wire from the buss bar and hook it to the (+) terminal then I can't turn the engine over. I'm not good with all this electrical stuff, I'm affraid of burning something up, should've drawn a diaghram live and learn. FYI the wire coming from the buss bar that is hooked to the solenoid has a small terminal end on it that was on it when I took it apart. Thats my reasoning for not putting it on the (+) terminal in the first place.
MAJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:46pm
I forgot to mention that I have a push button for the starter but also a toggle switch that needs power to it, it has a red light underneath it to let me know it has power. So far...... no power to toggle switch. I can turn the engine over I'm just not getting spark.
MAJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 4:39pm
After some head scratching and some deliberation I finally got it figured out!!!!! Will try starting it later today or in the morning after I put some gas in it
WaxhawBoater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaxhawBoater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 11:40am
MAJ; I presume Gas was your issue. I have been trying to start a rebuilt for the last two weekends; replaced coil, condensor, points, regulator, plug wires etc and gave up last night. Don't know what else to do. Finally decided it's going to be looked at by a professional now.
WaxhawBoater
Waxhaw, NC
"1970 Skier"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 11:55am
Maj, can you take a pic? im trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish, typically the purple goes to the plus side of the coil from the ballast resister, the black wire from the distributor goes to the negative....with key on you should be getting voltage at the plus on the coil
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic