Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trailer problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer problems
    Posted: June-26-2005 at 11:25am
Hello all. I recently purchased my first boat, an '88 Ski Nautique 2001. It has the original single axle trailer w/hydraulic drum brakes. Are there any resources for information (schematics/diagrams) or parts references for the trailer? The brakes are not functioning at all. Here is a rundown:

1. The brake lights don't work (all other lights function fine).
2. The tongue flops up and down when braking/accelerating (I'm guessing there is no hydraulic pressure to act against).
3. If the cap on top of the tongue is the reservior for brake fluid the master cylinder will need to be replaced (looks more like bearing grease in there).
4. There also appears to be some type of small shock absorber next to the master cylinder which I'm sure it shot as well and will need to be replaced.

This is my first time dealing with trailer brakes so any advice from veterans will be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, any online resources for the parts?

TIA

-Ryan
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 2:51pm
ahh, never mind. I see now...you just replace the whole assembly. The fluid in the master is so old its become solid, hopefully I won't have to replace all the other lines, slaves etc.

Still can't figure out why the trailer lights go out when the brakes are pressed though.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 4:34pm
If lights go out when the brakes are on, the common is incorrectly wired or the trailer is floating and not tied to chassi ground.

Likely,when this occurs, both filaments will be glowing when the running lights are on,
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 6:36pm
Put a test light between the trailer chassis and the vehicle chassis. Turn on the hazzard lights or have someone push the brakes and if the test light glows, then you have a groung issue between the trailer and vehicle.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2005 at 1:44pm
Ryan:

It appears that you described an Attwood hydraulic brake coupler. Rebuild parts are availble and I just reassembled mine last night. The PO welded my couple to the trailer tongue, so I had to go the rebuild route. Rebuilding is cheaper than replacement for the couplers and not very hard to do.

1. Remove the through bolt at the tongue pivot (bottom bolt).
2. Remove the cover at the back of the coupler, if present. May be pop riveted in place.
3. Remove the nut and washer at the shock absorber rod. push the rod out of the mounting hole.
4. Disconnect the brake line from the master cylinder. Remove the four bolts holding the master cylinder to the coupler. remove the master cylinder.
5. Remove the shock absorber and spring assembly (break away device).
6. Remove the plastic fluid fill cap.

I suggest you buy the following parts: master cylinder, fluid fill cap, Piston boot. Inspect the shock absorber. If the piston/rod moves easily or catches, replace the shock absorber. They tend to last a long time and may not need replacement...mine did not.

All the new parts come with an exploded view showing reassembly.

I sugest you unbolt the brake assembly and through it away. Buy the entire assembly new (backing plate, shoes, cylinder, etc.) and bolt it on. I suggest the free backing type.

Using alcohol, flush the brake lines before reconnecting. then fill and bleed and you are done. To bleed, mount the ball hitch in the coupler and use it as a lever to pump up the master cylinder while a buddy opens and closes the bleed screws.

One last thing: I suggest silicon brake fluid so as to eliminate the fluids tendency to absorb water. You can use silicon fluid since all hydraulic parts will be replace and there is no chance of mixing conventional fluid with the silicon fluid.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 10:06am
Thanks for all the replies. We figured the lights were most likely a ground problem....the PO recently painted the trailer. We've checked a few grounds to no avail but I guess we just need to keep searching.

David, thanks for the detailed post. Yes, its the Attwood. The whole unit is like $140 and since it doesn't look as if its ever been serviced I think I'll probably opt to replace everything....actuator, drum assemblies, bearings, etc and be done with it. I'm pretty sure that once I get into it, everything is going to be junk.

Also, thanks for the tip on bleeding, I was wondering how I was going to do that.....since I don't have a vaccum bleeder. I'm going to think about the silicone fluid....I know if there ever was an application for it this would be it (since its non-hygroscopic), but I have tons of dot 4 and 5.1 (synthetic) fluid at my disposal so I may just use it and bleed the system every year or two.

Thanks again everyone....its nice to know there are so many helpful people on this board. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I repair/restore the old boat.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 12:17pm
Your welcome. I probably would have replaced the entire coupler as well, but like I mentioned mine was welded to the trailer tongue.

Forgot to mention the other benefit to silicon brake fluid...it does not attack paint like conventional fluid.
AUskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2006 at 9:12pm
David (or anyone else who wants to chime in)

You mentioned using alcohol to flush your brake lines and I was curious about how you did that. Did you use your actuator to push the alcohol through? I am ready to assemble my brake system and everything will be brand new except the brake lines which are from the original brakes. I plan to go to Dot 5 brake fluid so I know flushing the lines would be good so any pointers on how to do this would be great.

Rob
-AUskier-

Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Ryan:

Using alcohol, flush the brake lines before reconnecting. then fill and bleed and you are done. To bleed, mount the ball hitch in the coupler and use it as a lever to pump up the master cylinder while a buddy opens and closes the bleed screws.

One last thing: I suggest silicon brake fluid so as to eliminate the fluids tendency to absorb water. You can use silicon fluid since all hydraulic parts will be replace and there is no chance of mixing conventional fluid with the silicon fluid.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 8:12am
Well, starting at the actuator end of things, I simply poured in a bit of alcohol using a tukey baster. I then used my compressor to blow the alcohol through. I repeated this process until clear alcohol came out the other end of the lines. FWIW, my compressor has a drier fitted, so I was not concerned about introducing moisture that could condense inside the lines...but if you do not have a drier fitted, the alcohol should evaporate off any moisture anyway.

Remember to inspect the rubber brake line where the rigid line transfers to the axle(s).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic