Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans wont hold oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans wont hold oil
    Posted: September-20-2010 at 1:25pm
i know i must be that guy that just asks way too many questions but money is tight and i love my SN and want to learn to fix things myself. I recently sent my trans off to eric to get rebuilt and after a long time of having in sit in my garage waiting to get installed, i finally put it in and sent it off for an allignment. But when i recieved the trans i noticed a good amount of ATF in the box with the trans. i just assumed it was a loose cap on one of the oil line holes. So i replaced the lost fluid with fresh AFT. After my first run i was suprised to see that it was slipping and HARD. So first i checked the fluid level and it was very very low. So i got more dextron and refilled it, checked all my fittings for leaks and it was good. so i tried it again and literally within seconds it slipped again and would not engage in any gear. checked the oil and its completely gone. so i got towed in to the dock and now im scratching my head wondering what happened to my trans that was a fresh rebuild. any ideas guys? i want to try to put oil in and see where it comes out but dont want to damage the trans. i know its not my fittings or oil cooler (oil shows up in the bilge)so where else could it be besides the shaft seal? but with an allignment and no vibration how could this happen?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 1:37pm
John,
Since the ATF was gone in "seconds", you would have 1 to 2 quarts in the bilge and the leak would be very obvious. I suspect the cooler and I'd say pull it and pressure test it. I have confidence in Eric to send you a good rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 1:40pm
yes there was more like 3-4 quarts in there because i refilled and tried to limp back to the dock with no luck. are oil coolers know to break on the outside allowing the oil to sstay in the boat? and there was no sign of oil splatter or anything on the engine/engine cover or anywhere besides the bottom of the boat.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 7:39pm
sounds like you have a major leak. Loose hose or bad cooler. They do go bad. I would check all the hose connections and try to find where the source is, by following the wet spot!
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 7:54pm
Why did the tranny fail in the first place?

jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 9:56pm
From what I was told it failed just due to age. Reverse just randomly stopped working. No breaking or noise just simply quit one day.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by jcow0714 jcow0714 wrote:

From what I was told it failed just due to age. Reverse just randomly stopped working. No breaking or noise just simply quit one day.

Told?

It probably failed due to water getting in it. How many hours on the boat?

My velvet drive in my old boat made it to 1500 hours.

Tim

jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 11:12pm
I called eric and he said they fail just due to age. There was no water in the trans oil, of this im sure. my boat has 1300 hours and he said it was due for a rebuild either way so just send it in to him.
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 12:50am

yes there was more like 3-4 quarts in there because i refilled and tried to limp back to the dock with no luck. are oil coolers know to break on the outside allowing the oil to sstay in the boat? and there was no sign of oil splatter or anything on the engine/engine cover or anywhere besides the bottom of the boat.

3 - 4 quarts in where? In the tranny or in the bilge? What do you mean by "staying in the boat?" If the oil is in the bilge, then forget about checking the cooler and start looking at your shaft seals, front and back.
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 2:11am
Ya it was in the bilge. It's cong from the front of the trans so I'm assuming it's that seal. Hopefully the warranty he gave me holds up.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 10:05am
when you say oil in the box, do you mean the shipping box? did you install a new damper also?
"the things you own will start to own you"
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 3:32pm
There was ATF in the shipping crate it came back in. I just assumed it was sat on it's side or something and somehow leaked a little bit. I didn't look into it but I wish I would have. Yes the new damped was installed. I purchased that from you as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 5:54pm
what exactly happened after that? did you install and go?
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 6:04pm
Why is this being discussed in a thread? I would think the OP would call Eric to try and solve this by speaking to eachother. Sometimes typing doesnt come across quite the same as you intended. Just my thoughts. Unless there is more to this story.....
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:37pm
Because instead of wasting a businesses time I thought if ask around to see if anyone has come across this before. Why chime in if you have no info to add to the topic? And guess what I found the info I was looking for and I called Eric. Don't you think it's better to know what the problem is before you call someone and waste time?
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 12:08am
Well, What was it. I have been hangin' on this thread like it is a soap opera. My guess is a faulty seal.
bj
hasbeenskier
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 12:49am

Don't you think it's better to know what the problem is before you call someone and waste time?

Personally, I would have called Eric as soon as I opened the crate and saw oil all over the place. That would have been clue #1 that something was not right. Looks like the only time wasted was your own by installing it.   
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:04am
Ya that and the time wasted reading your post. but thanks to everyone else that had good info for me I really appreciate it.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 12:52pm
Well, I did try and give you some advice several posts earlier. When I saw Eric chime in, I thought you guys could work this out easier by actually talking (more advice). I guess I am just old-fashioned and rely on actual verbal communication to try and solve problems. Plus, I know Eric to be very easy to talk to and share info. I would want one of my customers to give me the courtesy of giving me a shot at fixing a problem, before hearing about it in a post. You seem to know it all, and have it all figured out, so why not share with us what the problem is/was? So we can learn from you!
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 4:50pm
I don't understand why people like you need to chime in.. I got my info checked a couple things out then called Eric yesterday. How about this.. I do what I want and if you don't like it don't read or respond. I thought this was a forum to help fellow SN owners but I guess not.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 6:11pm
Lighten up Francis...Hey, share some info with us? What was the problem? Here is your chance to contribute.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Lighten up Francis...Hey, share some info with us? What was the problem? Here is your chance to contribute.

Agreed!

Yes John, fill us in on what's going on. Do I need to give Eric a phone call to find out what's up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 10:12pm
Haha I know you guys are somewhat messing with me but im just going insane with this boat. I called Eric on Tuesday and he said once I get it out to call him and we can diagnose the problem from there. I appologize ab the aggression but I'm a member on tons of forums for my atvs and trucks and it just pushes my buttons when
a person comments with zero info. I'm just trying to fix my boat. But when I get it out and get info
il let you guys know. And I don't know if any of you remember my question
on how to get the trans out and the reason I has to take me exhaust off... But il
upload some pics of that and the boat too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 10:13am
what i gathered is one of the plastic plugs were broke in the shipping box? and leaked test oil in the box, and possibly the front seal is pushed out of the pump. wont know until the trans is pulled back. either the front bearing will be pushed out against the inner gear or the gears will be heat smeared, to be continued
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic