Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W Rev. Rot Cam Specs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W Rev. Rot Cam Specs
    Posted: March-05-2004 at 11:27am
Could someone tell me the original cam specs for a '79 PCM 351W Rev. Rot?

What would be a good cam for a rebuild? I'm thinking about using GT40 or GT40P heads and a Edelbrock Performer intake.

Thanks!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2004 at 1:25pm
I just got a long block for mine. Give Comp Cams a call and they can custom grind a mild upgrade from stock if you want. With the heads and intake it would help.

What I have is @.050" lift
dur 218 in
    224 ex

lift .476 in
     .481 ex

112 separation

Mines balanced and produces 300+hp verses a 240hp stock

tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2004 at 2:35pm
the pcm book lists the lift at the cam at 0.26 , so with 1.61 rockersthe total lift is .4186.

no other specs given.

if you can pick up some 69-70 351 heads, they have comparable flow to the gt-40's unless you get the 'p' heads. here is a nice head flow comparison chart.head comparison. if you do go gt-40's, i think the explorer ones are the 'p's. make sure you won't have issues with pulling the plugs if you start playing 'head' games.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2004 at 3:18pm
If you can pick-up the D0OE heads from 69-70 they do work better than late model GT-40's. Check around some of the mustang and ford peformance engine sites and read up a little. They say they flow better and you can use larger valves without getting it to thin between the valve seats.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2004 at 3:35pm
hey man. are you being redundant? used heads for cheap.

the aussie stuff looks interesting also. i have some cleveland heards i would like to modify and use someday before gas is 3 dollars a gallon.
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2004 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by tryan tryan wrote:

i have some cleveland heards i would like to modify and use someday before gas is 3 dollars a gallon.

Okay Tom, I've been around engines quite a while, trashed a few and rebuilt a few, but I've never seen a 'herd of Clevelands'. Would they be Indians, Browns, Cavs, or those strange things down by the lake?
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2004 at 7:09pm
they are just 2v's, so yes they would be considered part of the herd. i lived on lake erie in bay village for a couple years as a kid, so i'm qualified.
ReidP View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReidP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 12:02am
BC, what heads came on your new long block?

The chart tyran Tom scrounged up is great. In stock form the GT40P head, which is available out there in somewhat plentiful numbers on e-bay and other sources, and now at really good prices, can't be touched for a stock head even compared to the 69-70 351W heads which I've got on my '70 Mustang. Unfortunately though, GT40P's didn't make my 1998 Explorer do wheelstands, but it is still running strong at 230,000 miles. I've seen new 40P heads for as little as $300.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 1:59am
I really don't know I would have to call and ask if they recorded the casting numbers. I'm not going to unbolt the heads and flip it over to find out. I posted a link on skiboathelp listing a pair of DOOE with large valves on ebay. From what I have seen and read with the DOOE heads you can install larger valves and the combustion chamber is a little smaller than the GT-40's. With the 40's when you increase the valves the web between gets to thin and cracks.

Now be easy on tryan he's just a good old tennesee boy they do thinks different down there. My step-dad was from livingston and would translate for me, so tyran I understood every word.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 2:24am
here's the link to ebay for anyone that wants something better than GT-40's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33617&item=2464836077

I'd be all over these if I had a rebuildable block.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 5:37pm
Darn, those 351 heads just sold. His pictures he had posted however were of 302 and 289's and not the 351's, except for maybe those painted blue, but regardless, the ones he was selling were nice and worth every bit of the $600 they sold for.
BC, Do your new heads have the older 18mm, 13/16" plugs or the smaller plugs. I'm older so it's taxing my memory but when they went to the smaller plug in about '75-'76 they also went to back to the smaller 302 size valves. So if Jasper was duplicating a '79 model engine you probably have small valve heads, so you might want to invest a few extra bucks in the heads to take advantage of that cam and extra compression. And if anyone wants a used set of D0OE heads, I've got two pairs which need servicing which I'll let go right.

In case any members or guests aren't familiar with these Ford model/casting numbers, the D0OE breaks down as follows: The letter "D" represents the 1970 decade, a "C" is from the 1960's, "E" the '80's etc. The next digit is Zero, which is the actual year within that decade; D0OE heads are thus from 1970. The last two letters are the particular model/casting number.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Jameen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jameen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 11:57pm
I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that will custom grind me a roller cam for a 1980 351W with the reverse rotation dist. grind. I have the current cam specs from PCM, but am looking to upgrade to a roller cam.

J. Ameen
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2004 at 1:32am
Jameen,
As BC noted, Comp Cams apparently will grind you a RR cam, but as for the roller spec I don't know. I came across a company called Shadbolt cams, "shadboltcams.com", who will grind you just about anything. I spoke at length on the phone to the owner, Barry, who gave me more info on cams in 1 hour than I had learned in the last 30 years, and quoted me verbatum cam specs from the last 40 years. He's going to be grinding me a slightly agressive bumpstick for a new/old RR 413 Chrysler destined for a 60's vintage Nautique- stay tuned. Anyone having problems locating a camshaft to their liking, or in need of a recommendation, should make a call to this senior gentleman and you'll take pleasure in vastly enlightening your camshaft knowledge.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2004 at 10:28am
reidp,
It should be the 13/16 older style heads. Nornally jasper uses what was used for the year, make and model and will not use newwer or older style components unless you send yours in. I tryed talking them into using GT-40 heads and since I would not be sending in the same type of head for core they would not do it. The block is still bolted to the skid and wrapped in plastic. I'll call them monday and see if I can get the casting numbers for everything.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2004 at 10:31am
On the heads there where two different auctions one just included shipping. I would contact the seller and I would bet they could still set you up with a pair. Looked like it was a machine shop selling them and that they specialized in ford.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2004 at 4:23pm
this is like a steal if you want to swap direction. 1998 gt-40 long block with p heads and no thermo port.
money-pit
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2004 at 10:49am
reidp
I talked to my guy at jasper yesterday and found out what heads are on the long block. They do a sudo flow test on all the heads they get and put back the ones that flow the best for there class II engines. They only use
D70E-AB or D8OE-DE heads with stock valve specs they do replace the seats and everything else but do not increase valve diameters or port and polish. So I would say these sould be as good or better than the GT-40's based upon the OE model disigmation.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2004 at 12:07pm
Heads, heads. Bc, you may want to pull out a Ford head book showing all of the model year/ casting spec'ns to verify it, but I'm fairly sure that the later 70's on, up until the release of the GT-40, all 351 heads were of the smaller valve variety, and used on the 240-260 HP range of engines, plus they have/had open, 69cc combustion chambers. The heads themselves of the ProBoss and GT-40 engines were a big part of the HP increase, and I believe along with a cam change as well (Help us out here Woody) that set it apart from the standard 351. And of course fuel injection on the GT-40 engine. Still, you'll be making some horsepower.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2004 at 10:25am
ReidP,
The Gt 40 heads did make a great HP increase You are right,App 20-25, with the exhaust system they use.They can produce more with open exhaust. The cams however are still of the industral grind, nothing spectular, like 194 204.They use a dual pattern and 112 lobe seperation to mantain high vacumm and good idle Remember the newer boats use reduction transmissions 1.23.1 and need the low torque to turn the big dia props and pitch they use.. Torque and HP cross at 5250 on all engines and they turn their Fords app 4400- 4800 RPM. However the newer 6 and 8 point Chev offer much more They maintain there torque with the manifold style. Fuel injection is a connivence not particular an HP maker, if that were true Busch and Nextell cars would be useing them. Although they are trying to make that change. If you want I have a Dyno 2000 and if you want call me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2004 at 10:47am
reidp One thing I did not mention was that the heads are decked and have a smaller combustion chamber than the 69cc
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2004 at 10:44am
Reidp,
I am told that the reason,is that there are no availble cam blanks for RR roller cams. The hydraulic are cast and are plentiful. The roller blanks are a different process and Crane makes that type blank, and no longer do so as they would have to set up a new line. The call for roller RR cam are nil and stopped makeing them.
Crane shopped the country to make a experminental cam for mine to no avail and ended up with a flat tappet. However flat tappet are plentiful, just that Crane doesn't do them any longer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic