Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering wheel removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
arnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering wheel removal
    Posted: January-02-2011 at 10:06pm
Hi, I just bought the 57 Atom Skier from this site. My question is how to remove steering wheel. I can not get the throttle off to get at nut. Any help will be apprieciated! Thanx! Arnie
Arnie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 8:18pm
Arnie,
On a 57, you should still have the "Sheerer" wheel and gearbox. They were automotive surplus that most of the boat builders used. The throtle lever (actually the spark advance when used on a car) is fastened to a shaft that runs all the way down the center of the collum. You need to remove the linkage at the bottom of this rod first and then the lever and rod will slide up and out.

Which Atom did you get? What are your plans for the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
arnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 10:22am
Thanx! I got the one from Madison(merle Bailey) we are replacing deck, Re-painting outside & using it! Arnie
Arnie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 1:13pm
Arnie,
I forgot to welcome you to CCfan! You have found the spot for Correct Craft's but by now you should know that.

Make sure you get photo's posted of the project and of course keep it original!! Are you planing on removing any of the non original items Merle put on the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
arnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 9:43pm
The only non original item I know of is the spedo. Merle did nothing with boat while he owned it.(other tan a new prop & cutlass brg) Cindy has plans for the spedo. Should be Kool~! Tom
Arnie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 9:59pm
Arnie,
From the only picture that Merle posted, I can tell you the windshiels is off a Chris Craft and CC never put cutwaters on the Atoms.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
arnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 10:03pm
I thought the windshield sucked! I am replacing it. What do you think I should do about the cutwaters? They look o.k. Arnie
Arnie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 8:55am
Arnie,
What you do with the cutwater really depends on what you find under it and to what extent the hull was restored. If whomever did the work did a carefull job then it will just unscrew. However, if the cutwater was put on to cover up/secure the hull sides due to problems with the stem or damage, then removing it will force you to address the problem. CC used a linseed oil and talc bedding compound between all their wood joints and laminations. This dries out in time and you are left with a hull held together with screws and in some cases like their laminations (stem, spray rails, etc.) nails!!! Some may feel the cutwater looks good but others like myself feel it looks out of place on a CC Atom. In a judged ACBS show, it would be one of the first non original items spotted.

What is the condition of the hull? Have you taken a close look at all the seams? Any signs of epoxy simply used to fill bad seams? Any signs of fiberglass on the bottom? Did Merle tell you anything about the work done and who did it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
arnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 8:57am
I removed the cutwater to work on deck. All looks fine, no fiberglass, loose bords or rot. I am not doing this for judging, just want a good looking wooden ski boat! Are the emblems available? Thanx! Arnie
Arnie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 4:13pm
Arnie,
Your emblems would have been the die cast/chrome plated and are not available. Some do come up on places like Ebay but watch out for the price!! In good condition, they can be around $300.

It's good to hear that the cutwater wasn't hiding any damage or at least damage that you can see from the outside. How long were the screws used to attach it?     

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic