Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust ports pitted?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust ports pitted?
    Posted: March-07-2004 at 8:46pm
I have a 351 Ford Commander.. (1984 Nautique) I had some exhaust leaking into the engine compartment...reason being, the exhaust gaskets were old and needed to be replaced. When I pulled off the pipes, the exhaust, old gaskets, the exhaust manifolds had some pits in them also... hence, this is why the gaskets went to heck... so my question is, can i just put in some kind of filler, gasket sealer or something to smooth it all out? because if the surface is not flat, the gasket will just leak again and burn a hole in the gasket, etc.

Thanks much!

tc
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2004 at 11:08pm
you could take it to a machine shop and have them deck it if the flanges are thick.

i don't think any type of putty could hold up to that kind of heat. i would try a fresh gasket, torque it to specs and see if she holds.

check the 4 ports with a straight edge (metal yardsick or a metal level) and see if the manifold has warped. you could make a 4' sander out of an old level if the pits are not to deep.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2004 at 10:45am
I would question if they are still worth using? If the flange is that pitted then the inside sould be just as bad and I would replace them.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2004 at 1:56pm
good idea one the yard stick to see if they are warped or not. I have heard of that. I was trying to make the exhaust system last one more year before replacing it with a new PCM system.. (looks ugly, but oh well.) Any gasket? I picked up some at Kragen Auto parts store the other day, but I noticed the one i took off had a wire mesh in it... strong I assume.

Thanks!
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2004 at 3:22pm
marine gaskets are specific. if you have the time, get a 'kit' from skidim. the stock gaskets have a perforated foil coating.

set

use a torque wrench in sequence and never sieze on the threads. re-torque after a heat cycle. don't let the weight of the manifold crush the new gasket. i use studs to help get everything started.

i have a marine fel-pro book and a napa book, but they are being elusive right now. i thought ceramic coating the internals would be cool, but i don't think jet-hot is rated over 1300 degrees. it might be cheaper than new manifolds and give you a stock look.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2004 at 3:30pm
Who would I go to get it ceramic coated? never heard of that

The Kragen autoparts crap I bought was part number #235 gasket Ford 351.... I could call SkiDim and I am sure I could find the replacement for marine apps....    

this board rocks.. thank the nautique gods for replacing nautiquefan.com with this.... I have been lost for years since that went down...
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2004 at 3:53pm
jet-hot in passagoula (sp) miss. there are other places that might be cheaper.

when vince and richard know you by the sound of your voice, you have a real problem. their forum was short lived when skidim updated/upgraded their computer system. i needed an odd ball engine oil cooler line one time and they hooked me up.

i like fel-pro stuff, but opinions are like......................you might dig it up on the fel-pro site and see if your local guy can reference the number.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2004 at 12:22pm
About 20 years ago I repaired a "flow" cut block on a 49 Willys with JB Weld. The cut was between cylinder walls, but I gouged out the cut so the "goop" would have something to stick to and then filed it off and it worked.

Cheap and it matched well with all the heli-coils, bailing wire and duct tape.

Depends on you Budget!

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2004 at 7:00pm
you will find commander used header gaskets for there manifolds. check with a speed shop in your area look for mr gasket brand they hold up the longest. if the pitts are on the flange these gaskets will seal them. we have found that the pcm gasket will blow out very quickley. hope this helps.
woodyelc
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2004 at 7:43pm
Thanks Woody!!! I will look for Mr Gasket... I replaced one last year and of course it blew out at about 30 hours...

882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2004 at 8:28pm
where, oh where can i find these magical mr gasket gaskets?
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2004 at 5:55pm
call summit racing 1-800-230-3030 part number mrg-5930 $14.88 plus shipping
hope this helps.
woodyelc
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2004 at 1:00am
sorry woody i thought we were talking about the gasket between the manifold and the riser.
can you recomend one of those. i have a pcm 6 waterport holes
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0002&variation=&aitem=9&mitem=16
is this one good?
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2004 at 1:09am
well, now I am confused. I just ordered what Woody thought I needed.. or is that correct. The picture at Summit looked correct. The gasket between the manifold and commander exhaust pipe...

Fordly confused.
Thanks!
tc
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2004 at 11:47am
there are manifold gaskets and riser gaskets. the 'mr gasket' is a manifold gasket.

the riser gasket has a specific placement on the pcm riser to keep the top of the riser cool. not sure about the commander riser/manifold gasket set up.

you can always make your own. hylomar keeps the gaskets from sticking, but should not be used at the head to manifold joint.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2004 at 7:34pm
So i received an email from SkiDim on the gaskets they have...

One side is a felt material the other side is metallic.

The felt side goes towards the manifold.

are there any difference in the Ultra Mr Gaskets and these?

Thanks!
Tommer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic