NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet Cleaning Advice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scottsims1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsims1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet Cleaning Advice
    Posted: April-09-2011 at 11:08pm
Any best practices on what to use for carpet cleaning? Just the typical shampoo, no stains or anything. I was thinking about mixing oxyclean and some tide and gently pressure spraying it out. Any advice??
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 11:33pm
When I want a real workout, I go to the local equipment rental store, and rent a heavy duty carpet cleaner and do the whole house. I pour HOT water in the cleanwater port mixed with the std soap they sell. If there is a spot, I use the hd spotter they sell too. It does a great job, and really gets the carpets clean, plus it saves a ton of money vs. having a cleaning service do it. But, you are shot at the end of the day.

Sorry, no advice on any special cleaners or mixtures though. I guess you could come up with your own special concoction, but, the soap and spotter they sell does a pretty good job.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 11:44pm
Woops! I thought you were talking about house carpet, then I realized your post was in BOAT maintenance. NEVER MIND

But, if you ever do your house carpet, you got some good advice.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 2:53am
I think house carpet would have been in the off topic section. your slipping Dave.

I tried just pressure washing mine (1400 psi electric), I was not to impressed, next time I will use the soap setting to suck up some laundry detergent and let it soak.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 11:29am
The key is to suck the dirty water out of the carpet completely with a wet-dry vac, regardless of your cleaning method. I go with pressure washer + wet/dry vac, no soap.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 3:28pm
I just cleaned mine the other week. I have an old Bissel machine. I just poured the normal carpet cleaning solution in it and went to town. It worked awesome. The dirt i pulled out of the carpet was incredible. You could probably rent a carpent cleaner if you don't have one. Just make sure to get the hand held eqipment for doing it on your hand and knees. Not standing up. You could do it with a shop vac but it would be a paint. Use hot water. Bones.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 10:36pm
Did mine a couple of days ago and turned out great. Rented a rug doctor, standard width, from the hardware store and boy am glad I did. I must have filled 1/4 of the tank with sand and dirt since it has never been cleaned like that before. I was able to use the upright position but then used the hand held. Highly recommend it
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 10:45am
We used a rug doctor with spinning head brushes in my dad's boat and my buddies Malibu. Both got a ton of dirt out and brought the carpet back to life a bit. In the hard to reach places I just pour a liberal amount of the provided solution and go to town old school with a scrub brush and shop vac.

Good tip, suck it as dry as possible with the shop vac or rug doctor.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

We used a rug doctor with spinning head brushes in my dad's boat and my buddies Malibu. Both got a ton of dirt out and brought the carpet back to life a bit. In the hard to reach places I just pour a liberal amount of the provided solution and go to town old school with a scrub brush and shop vac.

Good tip, suck it as dry as possible with the shop vac or rug doctor.

+1

Tried iit myself after hearing you talk about it and it worked great in an orginal 30 year old carpet!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 11:35am
Good deal!
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 12:51am
Proper way is to spray your spots or heavy traffic areas with cleaner than extract(extractor or shop vac) with water only. Cleaners leave a residue that attracts dirt and is than less likely to be easily vac'd up.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 3:17am
Wow. Never thought I would be giving carpet advice on this forum but here goes.
I'm a carpet installer.....and the one thing I tell anyone who asks about cleaning and using store rental machines is this. The small machines don't have the same suction power that the machines in the trucks have. This means you are likely leaving more moisture in your flooring than you should. This can lead to mildew growth in the backing. Also, they don't tell you that when you clean carpet, you remove the factory applied stain guard. This need to be reapplied by spray after you clean, or the carpets get dirty ten times faster next time.
I compared the cost of hiring a service to come clean my carpets and re stain guard them to what it was going to cost me to rent a machine and buy the solutions at it was not much of an overall savings.

I hope that info helps some of you fine folks.

Corey.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 4:33pm
Worst. Spam. Ever.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Gump Gump wrote:

Proper way is to spray your spots or heavy traffic areas with cleaner than extract(extractor or shop vac) with water only. Cleaners leave a residue that attracts dirt and is than less likely to be easily vac'd up.

You saying not to use a cleaner - only water?

d.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 10:25am
Pre-spray with a cleaner if u need, but the final going over should be with water only to rinse out the carpet.
babla55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babla55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 1:40pm
Cleaning Services is essential for your life. Every one wants to make a perfect home for living. That's why Eco Clean MillCreek provides home improvement cleaning services.

padalo5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote padalo5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2013 at 10:45am
Looking for the best services of carpet repair in Mill Creek? Then make sure to visit at Eco Clean, The best way of carpet repairing.
deboah sami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deboah sami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 9:35am
Thanks for the help but we have here yacht upholstery cleaning fort lauderdale that can always be there for help with carpets and upholstery related issues.Their team is very professional and be on time always when called.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic