Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abandoned Mustang Project - Need Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 4:42am
Just like Star Wars:

You can use 'the force' and keep the boat all original; or you can go to the 'dark side' and install a tower.

I went to the dark side
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 7:07pm
Well, as it turns out, the boat doesn't even have a pylon on it anymore. I think someone stole it. So, since it's already missing... I might have to join the dark side, and put a tower on it.

I wonder if it would be possible to put fins on the hull so it wouldn't pull?
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 12:30am
The boat does a pretty good job on tracking. I know slalom skiing or kneeboarding with a 225 lb. person has no problem. The fiberglass keel that runs from the front to the rear does a good job except at real slow speeds. The nose doesnt want to stay put.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 1:58am
Dave , You could find a pylon for your boat thru this site ? If not catch some huge air on the Dark Side !!
Mike
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 3:14am
Fins? Yes it can be done...After you take it out on the lake and ski behind it ,you can make that call.
I agree with jeff...my mustang tracks well enough too...and besides, without the fins you can spin a wirlybird like a crazy MoFo!
When it's up and runnin...try this....Go about 40 mph , quickly drop it in nuetral and turn hard! You should spin and dip the bow to the windshield!!!
Scares the snot out of ya the first time.After that...ask yourself "Do I really want to add fins?"
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 11:01am
I'm definitely not adding fins until I try the spins! Sorry, the rhyme was accidental... I'm 260 pounds, so I'm curious to see whether or not I will pull the boat when I cut on my board.

I know, I'll probably replace the pylon no matter what, just because it wouldn't be right to not have a pylon in a boat like that. If I put a tower on it, I definitely won't be putting the same ugly tower I got from a guy in Canada. I'll make sure that it looks good, at the least.

Maybe I could find someone who would loan me an extended pylon I could try? If it works as well as a tower, I can live with no place to put the board...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 1:17pm
Think twice before adding tracking fins (skegs) for the following reasons:

1) The keel does not have a recess to accept the base plate of the fins and thus the fins will create drag and disrupt the smooth flow of water under the boat.
2) The keel is not reinforced to handle the added stress that the fins will put on the keel.

What you will notice by not having the fins is that the boat slides in turns. My Martinique does not have the fins and it has never really been a problem with skiing.

Great buy on the boat! Have fun fixing it up and I agree...replace the pylon. You might want to reinforce the floor area prior to replacing since you will be adding an extension.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 1:20pm
I think I'm going to pass on the fins. Spins sound like too much fun...

I'm going to replace the floor anyway, so I'll put some extra glass, etc, in the pylon area.

It's going to be a good winter!
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 2:00am
I have a Ski Nautique 2001 and I can tell you that, with a tower, a rider can easily roll the boat over a lot. Even when it's rolled over, however, as long as the rudder is straight, the boat goes straight. This was absolutely not true of the considerably larger I/O that I used to have. If the boat rolled, I had to make steering corrections. I have assumed that the three tracking fins account for this directional stability.

Note: the tower is not even very tall. It's a CC Flight Control Tower that was narrowed to fit the boat. It's still super easy to roll the boat over and while I don't know this for a fact, I believe that significant steering corrections would be required if the fins weren't there.

Anyway, that said, I still wouldn't add tracking fins to the Mustang. In fact, I probably wouldn't even add a tower. That old 17-footer is just too cool as is. If it were me and I wanted a better wakeboarding boat, I'd probably either flip it now or fix it up a bit and sell it for even more. Then, I'd take the profits and buy a slightly larger boat with fins (like a 2001) and throw a tower on there.

Of course, this line of thought could go on and on. Maybe you skip the 2001 and go straight for a Sport. Or maybe skip ahead more and go for a Super Sport... I guess you have to decide where you want to stop but I know that sometimes people get carried away with modifications when they should have just started with a different boat (or car) in the first place (not implying that this is true of your situation).
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by S.T. S.T. wrote:

I still wouldn't add tracking fins to the Mustang. In fact, I probably wouldn't even add a tower. That old 17-footer is just too cool as is. If it were me and I wanted a better wakeboarding boat, I'd probably either flip it now or fix it up a bit and sell it for even more. Then, I'd take the profits and buy a slightly larger boat with fins (like a 2001) and throw a tower on there.

Okay, here's my thinking, now that I've had about a week to stew on it. I'm initially going to treat this is as a restoration project. The boat is cool the way it is, and I don't really want to mess it up. I'll put a pylon back in it, then get an extended pylon for boarding. That should keep me happy.

That's what I'm going to do this winter. Then, I'll board with it next summer and see what I think. After that, I might decide I can't live without a tower and tracking fins. If so, I'll start looking for a 2001.

I know boat upgrades can go on forever, but the 2001 is my dream boat. I'm pretty sure I can stop there.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 1:47am
Yeah a 2001 is a nice boat, but I bet when you get the mustang in, all shined up, you will be hesitant on selling it. Its a head turner! What A deal, I still cant believe you pulled that off that good. Maybe I need to get some pointers from you!!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2005 at 11:32am
I'm going to pick up the boat today and bring it home. Now the real fun begins! Thanks everyone for your advice on this deal!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2005 at 11:03pm
I've got lots of pictures, etc at my web site. Don't worry, I'll still be updating this site with questions, etc.
James C View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 9:10pm
As Dave's older brother, I can attest that this is a typical modus operandi for our family. We have bought sailboats, cars, and have tried buying houses by looking for something that looks abandoned, and then hunting down the owner. Sometimes you spend a lot of time talking to county tax agents, with no results, but with persistance, it has paid off for us several times.

Congrats Dave, look forward to boarding next summer!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2005 at 1:46am
I took it out to the lake this afternoon, after I got it running (had the spark plug wires in reverse order). It was an awesome ride. And the wake was great. Crisp and tall, no washout. Best toy I ever had!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic