NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velvet drive 1:1 slipping during right turn

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: velvet drive 1:1 slipping during right turn
    Posted: April-15-2011 at 9:24pm
Eric/all,
My velvet drive seems to slip every so slightly during hard right/starboard turns. I think it is slipping as I cant believe the prop is cavitating. Fluid is fresh and proper level. Otherwise, it engages f&R great. slight rattle at idle, but not more than it always has had for the last 250 hrs. Tranny is original 82. Am I heading for a rebuild soon? Engine has 570 hrs, tranny has more....how much? dont know probably 1000.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 11:03am
to get into the dynamics of a transmission, under higher RPM's, the centrifical force of the fluid in the forward drum will create pressure and should hold the clutch pack and not slip, unless you have hard or galled rubber seals and the pack may leak and allow a slip, on the turns they do take into account that you may pull air thru the screen and allow the pump to cavitate and intermittantly you would think the clutch pack would let loose. any time a pack slips you create flash heat on the plates and they will lose the co-efficiency of friction (ability to hold). I wouldnt say its time for a rebuild yet. but seeing the age of the trans it may need a facelift...it seems that the average lifespan of these Borgs is around 25 years, if maintained properly
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 11:06am
but a better understanding, the oil pressure in the pack has to overcome the return spring pressure, there is always oil in the forward pack and at times with weak return springs when you rev the engine the pack will momentarily apply because of a weak spring and the pressure created by the centrifical force

btw, when i babble, do you guy's understand this stuff?
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 11:55am
Thanks Eric, maybe I can get one more season. I may recheck the fluid level, just to be sure.
That was a bit more info than I needed, but I get your point.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I understand the part where you put it in a milkcrate and send it to Ohio.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

It's not babble as long as the subject is boats.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 2:48pm
confuse, conquer, milkcrate lol
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 5:55pm
Oil level shoud be checked inmediately after engine shut off so you want to see full mark on the dipstick with the hoses and oil cooler filled with oil.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 12:19pm
eric,i love your babling.i'll take it over stereo install questions any day.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 10:46am
pcm came up with a pretty nice v-drive unit, the way they are supposed to be designed, cast iron case, heavy Timken tapered bearings and helical cut gears, 2 moving parts, splash lubricated, and supposedly maintanance free. supposedly from the pencil caddy PE's they say you cant rebuild them But...its in my thoughts already on how to rebuild, i have to sleeve a bore and dial in where the old bearing was.
i got to hand it to them, its a stout, simple, rugged unit
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 9:47pm
Eric, is the PCM v-drive unit a ZF one? is it the same as Indmar's Ski vee?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 9:53am
I believe they bolt it to the pcm trans and it is referred to as the ski-vee. the only tag on it says Pleasure Craft Marine. this one is out of an 08 cc, so i would assume it is a ski-vee. looking at it from my perspective it does seem as a its a ZF child by design. I'll snap a couple pics today and post for future reference. it is water case cooled,
I would say since that indmar is a big customer of the ZF transmissions that it is a ZF ski-vee crossing over to the PCM line. surely this hunk of iron beats out the u-jointed, circ pumped competition
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 11:53am
Eric, after some investigation, I found PCM calls it's unit "Power plus Vee" while Indmar's is "Ski Vee"

They look pretty similar, but i think you can take the shaft coupling is different in the units.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 3:13pm
its stamped "made in the USA"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 3:20pm
My 1200 hr velvet drive does this as well in the cold spring/fall water. Keep the fluid absolutely full.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 12:48pm
Caddyshack....I couldnt reply to your email, as it isnt showing in your profile. I think my problem is carb related, and not the tranny. When I really feel the "slip" it seems more choking or fuel starving than a slip. I think the float may need adjusting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic