FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PSS Packless Shaft Seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSS Packless Shaft Seal
    Posted: July-26-2005 at 1:28pm
As many of you know, I recently purchased a replacement for my '79 Mustang. My new boat came with lots of extras and recent upgrades including a PSS Packless Shaft Seal. This completely water tight, maintenance-free shaft seal might and be one of the greatest inventions for the inboard boat owner.

Read my complete review
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Rodney Brown View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodney Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 5:44pm
Dripless packing are a great innovation. There is a problem with them however. If your boat has to be towed, the shaft and prop have to be secured to prevent them from spinning. If the shaft and prop spin without cooling water, the packing will be ruined.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 7:26pm
Actually, the PSS Shaft Seal doesn't need additional water when operating below 12 knots (14 mph). At slow speeds, the water pressure is enough to lubricate the shaft. Since you are typically towed at only about 5 mph, there would be no issue.

In addition, I have heard of many people using the PSS Shaft Seal without hooking up the additional water supply at all. They use them for years a high speeds with no issues.

-Keith

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 7:42am
Glen L Marine sells them only with a double seal and thye have to be water fed. Singles seals are no longer aviable.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 1:00am
Does anyone know anything about the Johnson Propellor's OJ Dripless Shaft Seal? It's $50 less than the PSS shaft seal. Are they really comparable products?
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2005 at 3:21pm
I installed one on mine this year and have had no issues and love not having to run the bilge all of the time. Well worth the 100 bucks I spent to get it.
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I installed one on mine this year and have had no issues and love not having to run the bilge all of the time. Well worth the 100 bucks I spent to get it.
Did you get the PSS, or the other one that is $50 less?
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 12:37pm
I would have to look at the instructions again to see who the actual manufacturer is. Mine is what every Rinker Boats use as a supplier. It look's exactly like the PSS but with a different colored rubber tube. Most of the parts I buy are through them, my neighbor is in charge of all purchasing activities so i get them at cost plus tax. For instance both battery cables cost my 20 bucks total, yes marine grade. an ACME prop was 250, the shaft sell was 100
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2005 at 12:14pm
It seems like the GFO packing has made this upgrade obsolete. Or is there still an advantage to changing the whole thing out?
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 12:45am
What's the GFO packing? Is that for the newer boats?
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 12:39pm
its supposed to replace the regualar packing but can be tightened to dripless without overheating, I think there are a few treads about it.

I just changed mine but the local shop only had teflon packing so I used that, I'll try the GFO next time.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2005 at 2:51pm
This is my first post just wanted to say that this is an amazing site. I could not believe it when i found the Engine manuals for my boat.

What size packing do I need for an 82 3/16 or 1/4?
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2005 at 5:00pm
jon4pres,
When I replaced mine, I measured clearance and it seemed closest to 1/4" - so that's what I ordered. My supplier sent 3/16", so I used it anyway. The 3/16" was still a pain to cram in the cap and it sealed GREAT! I recommend the 3/16".
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Tim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2005 at 5:26pm
Are these dripless packing seals very hard to install on a v-drive? I have an SV-211 that leaks, and it seems almost impossible to get to the packing gland.
hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 8:52am
It is quite a bit more difficult to install packing on V-Drives.

If I were doing the V-drive i'd first measure the amount of available drive shaft you have to work with.

I know the OJ shaft seal is not as long as the PSS and is easier to install on the V-Drive, as there tends to be a tunnel the prop shaft goes through on its way forwards, the OJ gives you more clearance.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6759

give this link a try
dchatagnon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchatagnon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2006 at 3:49pm
hello, I have just installed one also.
Before to go on the water, I would like to be sure that everything is correct.
Can you please let me know how much did you compress the below? PSS installation guide says 0,8'' for a 1'' diameter...
but, after compressed the below for 0,9'' I can still move the carbon flange from the rotor backward with my hands. Is this normal?
Hope no water will enter the bilge...

thanks in advance for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic