Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'77 American Skier Start trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mcolliga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcolliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '77 American Skier Start trouble
    Posted: May-05-2011 at 4:46pm
New batter and battery terminals, as well as a new solenoid. When ignition is turned the starter just clicks. The negative cable to the starter could use replacing but other than that I guess it's down to NSS or starter. Any other ideas?
MotorBoatin'SOB
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 4:56pm
Replace that cable. Welcome to CCF. Post pics of your boat. Etc.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 5:11pm
What type of battery? Hopefully its not a marine (deep cycle) battery. Does it have a full charge?

Besides just the terminals, there could be internal corrosion on the cables themselves (corrosion = resistance = voltage drop). It also isnt a bad idea to clean the mating surface of the starter to the bellhousing as well as the bolts. The cable running to the starter is positive, it relies on the mechanical connection for its path to ground.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 5:45pm
It's not a NSS. If it's not closed (trans in neutral), you will not get power to the start relay (solenoid).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mcolliga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcolliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 1:09pm
It is in fact a marine deep cycle battery. Is this undesireable?
MotorBoatin'SOB
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 1:18pm
Yes you want a regular starting battery with good CCA.

The last time I had issues starting I went to napa got a battery and she started right up. That batt is 3 years old now, kept it on the trickle all winter and the boat fired right up after the winter sleep.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by mcolliga mcolliga wrote:

It is in fact a marine deep cycle battery. Is this undesireable?

Not given,
A deep cycle is for low amp draws over long times like for an electric trolling motor. Starting a engine requires the opposite - high amp draw for a very short time. Whomever told you or however you ended up with the deep cycle is a problem. The deep cycle doesn't like the high amp draw and you will see quite a voltage drop. How did you end up with the deep cycle?

I still feel you have connection and cable issues. You mention new terminals - were the cable ends green with corrosion? How did you clean them up? Even with new terminals, you still need to clean them and the battery posts with a wire type terminal cleaner. Was that done? Have you checked the voltage to the starter when the start relay (solenoid) is energized?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 3:31pm
A marine starting battery is essentially a severe duty battery designed to tolerate the boat bouncing around while keeping the acid in each cell. I've used both regular automotive, and marine starting (that's what I have in now). Which one do the experts recommend? And by experts, I mean everyone on CCF.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by charger496 charger496 wrote:

A marine starting battery is essentially a severe duty battery designed to tolerate the boat bouncing around while keeping the acid in each cell. I've used both regular automotive, and marine starting (that's what I have in now). Which one do the experts recommend? And by experts, I mean everyone on CCF.

David,
You may have been listening to to much advertising hype about marine duty batteries! They are the same internally as automotive starting. They add the studs with wing nuts (for the boats that use them), the nice handle and then add the $$$$. Go with a auto starting and you'll be fine. I have never used anything but a automotive in all the years and never had a problem. The worst case is my flat bottomed X55. It rides real rough and that battery is at least 7 years old!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 8:34pm
Ya know, that's kinda what I figured! In my haste to get one test-run last November, I bought the "marine sales-pitch". Kinda felt like I was getting screwed out of an extra $20 that I could have put elsewhere. Live and learn. At least now I have a handy handle, so it'll be easy to pull out when the battery dies in 10 years.
chrisheile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisheile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 5:00pm
Mccolliga: this is a great forum for learning. I come here a lot. There is an American Skier forum at www.amskierboats.com .   Dan and Ron Tannis both belong and contribute regularly.   You should join us there as well.

Chris Heile
2002 American Skier Pro
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 10:29pm
Chris,
Are you sure he wasn't talking about this boat? You may have your AS's mixed up!

1977 CC American Skier:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
chrisheile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisheile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 11:58pm
Hmm, you are probably right. Sorry.
2002 American Skier Pro
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 12:49am
Hey Pete,check that out,exhaust flaps standard equiptment.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic