Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glastron Inboard

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Inboard Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inboard Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glastron Inboard
    Posted: June-03-2011 at 12:32am
I had posted in the engine repair section about a 185 Interceptor engine that I am rebuilding/restoring and I received some requests about the boat it came out of, of which is also being completely restored back to the original factory specs. The boat is a 1963 Glastron Saberflite, a 17 footer that was designed to compete with the CC Mustangs of the period. I have always had a soft spot for inboards especially the mustangs but I came across this project a couple years ago and after tons of research found it to be extremely rare.

First of all, a little history lesson. Glastron was started in a rented storage garage in Ft. Worth, TX. back in 1956 by Bob Hammond. This was a time when fiberglass was new technology and he capitalized on it. All of the Glastrons produced in the first 2 years were outboard models, but in 1958 they came out with their first inboard simply named "The Glastron Inboard", shown in the pic below:

This was the only year they would produce an inboard at the actual Glastron facility, which by now had been built in Austin, TX.
In 1959 Bob Hammond needed to outsource the production of his fiberglass hardtops that were being used on his outboards so he joined forces with Adventurer boats in Austin. He also used Adventurer as a test ground for new designs and that is when, in 1960, the Saberflite inboard was born. It carried only the Adventurer mark until 1962 when he took his design and actually put the Glastron name to it.

Here is the factory brochure picture of my '63 Saberflite:

And here is how I found the boat 2 years ago:

Since aquiring it I stripped it down completely to figure out exactly what parts were either going to have to be repaired and/or replaced. There has been countless hours of research to determine what was original and what was not due to a partial rebuild on the boat back in the 80's when they changed a few items to update it. All the gauges had been replaced along with the steering wheel/helm and the engine cover to accomadate the downdraft carb that had been placed. The original bucket seats were also gone but I was able to finally find a set from a donor boat, not a Saberflite, as all 1963 models offered these seats as an option that year. Just that search in itself took 1-1/2 years of constantly monitoring ebay and craigslist and they are still the only set I have ever seen, as well as anyone else I know of, here they are, unrestored.

Most of the parts I have located, there are still 2 items I lack, the first is the correct helm, I have an original wheel but not helm.
The last item I need is the original center console that was standard. This item has proven to be the most difficult of all to find. I have posted on Craiglist all over the country in all major cities for 2 years now asking if anyone has one or knows where I could find it, to no avail.

Anyway, that is my story up to date, currently the hull is undergoing repairs at a local shop and the almost completed engine is sitting at my warehouse, hopefully will be starting that up for the first time in a week or two. Sorry if I was long winded here but hopefully you enjoyed the history lesson. I will post more as I progress.

Jeff
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 1:58am
No apologies needed Jeff,very interesting story.I understand where your comming from on the hard to find parts,I too was missing the center console on my Mustang.Seems like at one time removing them was the thing to do.Just hang in there,if your lucky when you least expect it one will turn up.Is yours the Tahitian Coral? The seats fiberglass? What does the correct helm look like? Neat project,thanks for sharing.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 12:59pm
Very Cool project.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 1:07pm
G
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 1:18pm
Great stuff. The boat looks heavy, what does it weigh?

Have you ever had it on the water, just wondering what the handling/wake characteristics are like
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 6:22pm
Wow, very rare indeed.
Transom resembles a 1960 Ford Sunliner.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 11:18pm
Jeff,
You are truly a person that enjoys and appreciates keeping things original!! Fantastic!!    Keep us posted on the progress.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Inboard Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inboard Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 12:59am
Thanks for all the great/positive comments.

Gary S.

The color is shown in the factory pic from '63, gold and white, this was only color the Saberflite was produced in for that year. The helm was a teleflex rotary mechanical type with a tighter triangular bolt pattern through the dash than is used today and as far back as the mid to late 60's. I am confident about locating the helm as all the models above 17' that year had the same mechanical system rather than the becket cable style. There is a huge boat graveyard in Austin that seems to have a very large number of 60's Glastrons, I have been there a couple times but not looking for that item. I'm almost sure I will find one there. The front bucket seats are fiberglass, I'm guessing the reason they were so hard to come by is that they did not hold up well. I will be adding support to them to try and aleviate that problem.

Skutsch-

In the pic below it shows the weight including driveline to be 1715 lbs.
The boat is very light and I have never had it on the water, I would guess that it handles much like the Mustangs of the time, (at least I hope so!).

Dr CC/Pete-

Thanks again for the comments, I will post more soon.

Jeff
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 11:43am
agreed on this being a cool project. i spent a lot of time skiing behind a Glastron I/O and always had a soft spot for the brand. Had no clue they ever made an inboard.

Please continue to post pictures and details. I'm sure most if not all on the site will appreciate your effort.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 3:47pm
I remember those boats really well. As a kid I grew up on a lake at my grandmothers and there was a black and white one next door. I learned to slalom behind a red and white, A guy I piumped gas for had another red and white and the guy who towed me home after running over the wakeboard handle once had an aqua and white one. If I remember they need some room to turn but were classy looking.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 3:41am
My family ran a good sized Glasstron dealership for many years (beginning before my time)... No one from our place has ever heard of this boat. Very Very intersting find. Thanks for sharing ~

I'm also interested in how it handles compared to the other boats of its day.

Unfortunatly all of my family primarly skiied Outboards or In/outs. No inboard knowledge or history (except for that 78 Ski Supreeme).
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 12:18pm
glad I stopped by CCF this morning!....

I would drive the yellow Saberflite in a minute!!!

Time to bring this to the top of the posts!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:58pm
another reason why I love our site...the old boats have some incredable stories

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 7:00am
Very good!!
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic