Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worn Removable Platform Brackets

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worn Removable Platform Brackets
    Posted: June-22-2011 at 5:47pm
The removable brackets on my 1997 SN are worn to the point that there is a considerable amount of play. With the bottom pins in place I would say there is about 1/2 -3/4" vertical movement in the platform. Short of replacing the brackets, does anyone have a recommendation on how to get it a little tighter?
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 8:56pm
Guess you could use some clear/brown packing tape and build up the thickness of the male brackets till you get a tight fit but not sure how long it would last.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Guess you could use some clear/brown packing tape and build up the thickness of the male brackets till you get a tight fit but not sure how long it would last.
I was thinking of building up the worn area with JB or some "steel epoxy" product but not sure how it would hold.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 8:46am
I store my boat in back of metal fabrication business. When I mentioned this issue to the owner, who also rebuilds old cars, he said he could mill a plastic sleeve that would slip over the boat side bracket and take up the space caused by the wear. He showed me a rod of semihard plastic that would serve as the stock.

Ultimately, I installed new brackets, which is working out fine. If you want any details on this, let me know.
Jim
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 10:56am
If you're gonna go the epoxy route I'd rough up the metal with some 80 grit sandpaper to give the epoxy something to adhere to. Also a little trick if you do is to wet your finger with water or alcohol or acetone and smooth out your epoxy for a nice smooth contour. Hopefully it minimize any sanding you have to do later.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 12:34pm
Thanks for all the advice guys.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 12:42pm
Redrill the holes for the pins higher removing the vertical play or get ready made bushings. They are available in plastic or bronze.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 1:12pm
I posted to redrill new pin holes too but didn't really know what it all looks like down there.
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Redrill the holes for the pins higher removing the vertical play or get ready made bushings. They are available in plastic or bronze.

Thanks Pete. Where would you recommend I look for the bushings?
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 3:23pm
I bet I know what Pete's gonna say - McMaster Carr

A local hardware would likely carry these as well.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I bet I know what Pete's gonna say - McMaster Carr

A local hardware would likely carry these as well.

Robb,
You beat me too it!!

The picture is off McMaster's site. They would most likely has plastic and in thinner walls whereas the hardware would have bronze in heavier wall thicknesses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic