Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lead Substitute

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lead Substitute
    Posted: June-30-2011 at 5:43pm
Hey guys,

My '74 Nautique of course calls for leaded gasoline. I used to buy a Concentrated lead substitute from walmart, it would mix about 1 oz. per 10 gallons of gas. I can't find this anymore. They stopped carrying it, and no other store has it. I hhave enough left for about half this season, and i dont wanna run on un-leaded fuel. What are you folks using?
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 5:47pm
NOTHING!!! You've been scammed and have been waisting your money. Hopefully you don't use Fram oil filters too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 5:59pm
haha, I use Napa when I can, otherwise I use the Motorcraft FL-1A.
74SkiNautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 6:17pm
We always put lead in our 90 (1400 hrs). Family friends with their '88 never added lead and it's still running very well with 1800 hrs.

It seems like it's your freedom.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

We always put lead in our 90 (1400 hrs). Family friends with their '88 never added lead and it's still running very well with 1800 hrs.

It seems like it's your freedom.

I dont think anyone is implying it will do any harm... but its not doing any good either. Its your money- do with it as you wish!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 8:02pm
I use lead additive. But unlike Tim and Pete, I still have lead in my pencil also.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Mick88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

I use lead additive. But unlike Tim and Pete, I still have lead in my pencil also.

It finding someone to write to thats the trick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Steve!! I'm not that old like some of our other members here!! I can name a few and one usually comes onto the site later in the evening!!!
Tim on the other hand is young and I'll make sure I'll ask Melisa at GL to find out more details for you!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 9:16pm
The bottom line is there is NO substitute for lead!! When the time comes for a top end job, then if you want to spend the extra, you go for hardened seats and SS valves. Some have not and gone with regular valve jobs!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 11:52pm
so, running un-leaded gasoline will not shorten the life of my valves, and seats?
74SkiNautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2011 at 12:40am
It will but not by very much. The point is that the additive will not pay for itself.

Am I too late??
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2011 at 9:20am
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

so, running un-leaded gasoline will not shorten the life of my valves, and seats?

Chris above is correct. "not by very much"

Don't believe everything you read on the package or container!

BTW, you're probably too young to remember the days when "white" gas was sold for marine use. It's still around as a camp stove/lantern fuel. White gas is straight run gas with absolutely no additives in it. The old engines ran great on it for years and years!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 10:43am
I came across this the other day......I wonder if it would work in a boat engine too can't see why not, the 95 is our low gas rating you guys use a different system to rate gas.

It could also be a con... but I like the simple way its done.

This is there big one they also make smaller ones too.

Fuel Catalyst Link
lets have a go 2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 11:21pm
Roger,
You've got love the engineering skills in the UK!!! Weird? Maybe!! Creative? Definitively!! It sure worked with the allied effort in WW II!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2011 at 11:32am
JC Whitney used to sell a magnet that you could clamp on the fuel line. It would align fuel molecules so they would burn more efficiently. Big oil must have bought up the patent, because it never caught on.   
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2011 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger,
You've got love the engineering skills in the UK!!! Weird? Maybe!! Creative? Definitively!! It sure worked with the allied effort in WW II!

Pete, we are all a bit strange here comes from living on a Island, asked my dad about this he said probably as he was putting moth balls in his gas to give it more power(they had naphtha in them) and his friend had a side valve Harley with twin gas tanks so he put his ration of gas in one and the other filled with paraffin you always knew where he had been by following the smoke
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2011 at 8:03pm
I can get Lead substitute from Redline, everyone swears by it, people who race hotrods with older engines that required Leaded gas. The ones who ran unleaded, now are sorry. im not taking that chance, not with a boat as nice as mine. :) It's about $10 for a 12oz bottle. and it mixes 1oz to 10 gallons. at our fuel usage, we'd be covered for about 3 seasons. pretty cheap if u ask me.
74SkiNautique
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2011 at 8:17pm
Question: Can the marine formula Ethanol Treatment such as the Sta-Bil also act as a Lead substitute?

Steve
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2011 at 8:23pm

im not taking that chance, not with a boat as nice as mine. :)

Your are absolutely correct. I do not consider my 1954, my 1964 or my 1977 boats to be very nice. It's funny but NO one I have ever talked to in the ACBS group I've belonged to for over 35 years recommends the junk. Of course none of them have nice boats ether. Oh, I forgot about my Universal 1927 Flexifour. None of the junk is in that engine ether.
The Hot Rod and race group must be smarter on the old engines that the boat group.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2011 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Behl Behl wrote:

Question: Can the marine formula Ethanol Treatment such as the Sta-Bil also act as a Lead substitute?

Steve

Steve,

The bottom line is there is NO substitute for lead!! When the time comes for a top end job, then if you want to spend the extra, you go for hardened seats and SS valves. Some have not and gone with regular valve jobs!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2011 at 9:05pm
Lead substitute allllll the way for me. Even if it did nothing, and i burned a valve, I could say i tried. I consider my SN to be worth every penny i spend on maint. for it.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2011 at 9:10pm
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=78&pcid=12    this is the stuff.
74SkiNautique
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 2:16am

Lead substitute allllll the way for me. Even if it did nothing, and i burned a valve, I could say i tried. I consider my SN to be worth every penny i spend on maint. for it.

74SN,
Do you understand the actual mechanics of how a burnt valve occurs?    

[QUOTE=74SkiNautique]
BTW, you're probably too young to remember the days when "white" gas was sold for marine use. It's still around as a camp stove/lantern fuel. White gas is straight run gas with absolutely no additives in it. The old engines ran great on it for years and years!!!

Pete,
Were these old enignes 1/2 the compression of todays? Studying lantern fuel further, I read that it is around 40-50 octane and subject to spark knock on most of todays enignes. I'm looking for a lawn and garden equipment fuel alternative.
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 3:04am
Yes, and there is a reason lead was added. The EPA has since changed that, so they came out with the hardened valves and seats to be ok without lead. How ever, older engines still require it. So for less than $0.10 a gallon. Ill add the substitute to my gas
74SkiNautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 4:40am
74 - if you're really worried about it, all the local air ports sell 80 octane and 100 octane LL.   you'll probably pay more than the 10C per gallon in sur-charge, but your engine will run as it should.    I have had several air cooled VW's over the years I've never put enough miles on one to have an issue.... If you feel better about addative, I say .10 c per gallon is small, consider how many gallons you'll need to use to buy a common 351w head and you'll have a good base line for comparison....
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 4:56am

[QUOTE=Bri892001] Actually, when did boat motors stop needing led?

First you need to know that lead was never meant to be a lubricant for internal parts of your typical engine. Lead was added as a octane booster to gas but it was found to also be beneficial to lubricating valve guides and cushioning valve seats. When the EPA banned the lead from the gas, the chemical companies marketing guys took over and created a lead "substitute" and sold it to the public!!! There is no such thing as a lead substitute and the stuff in the bottle doesn't do any good.

High mark up/profit for the retailer at the store or at the gas pump dock!!

Some of my dirt bike friends run the local airport fuel exclusively. It is good stuff and does not foul the carb like today's DOT junk.     
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Whitfield Whitfield wrote:

Pete,
Were these old enignes 1/2 the compression of todays? Studying lantern fuel further, I read that it is around 40-50 octane and subject to spark knock on most of todays enignes. I'm looking for a lawn and garden equipment fuel alternative.

Yes the old engines are real low compression but the point I was trying to make is they ran fine without any lead.

You don't want to run White gas in todays engines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic