Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My first time

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first time
    Posted: July-17-2011 at 1:23am
Leaving the boat tied up at a frinds dock on the lake over night.

Anything special to watch out for? Any horror stories / thing I should avoid.      
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 12:55pm
Was that last nite or tonite?   If it's tonite, There are two things I would hope for.   1. Hope it don't leak.   2. Hope you will be able to sleep.

Years ago, (early 90's)   A friend bought an old Turbocraft. He owned a Glastron/Carlson, but liked the looks of old straight inboards like my '66-Mustang. So, he thought he was getting the best of both worlds. Inboard looks with a jetdrive for his shallow water further up the lake.

We launched from my ramp and went out riding around, having a good ol' time. Came back, tied up, said he'd be back the next day to haul out and take it home.

The next morning I went down to the lake to pull mine out of the water.
When I got to the bottom of the hill, I noticed seat cushions floating around by the ramp. I just thought some kid had tossed out his cushions. Then I looked over toward the dock and noticed his dock lines were pointing straight down into the water. So, I thought maybe he'd already been here, hauled out and left, and was pissed-off because he was now sober and realized he bought a Turbocraft and decided it needed new upholstery and dock lines.

I walked over to the dock to further my highly-trained investigation. Where upon I detected a slight hint of a white Turbocraft shaped object sitting on the bottom of the lake right next to the dock.   It was at that point when I discovered that old Hamilton jet pumps must really like to leak.
So, I guess the moral of the story would be: Don't assume your buddy is going to check your boat for leaks before bedtime.
Sweet Dreams.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 3:08pm
left mine tied up overnight. for two weeks the only problem i have was when it decided to rain out of now where boat filled up with wata popping off the transmission fill cap filling the ol tranny with wata. couple hours of pumping out fluid and water then refill and pump and refill and pump we were running again soooooo moral of this story check the radar.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 4:38pm
That makes me SAD,
Sweet, that boat had never slept outside more than a couple of nites, and then it was covered on the trailer. Tell me you did not leave it in the water for two weeks,if so, was that new cover not installed correctly ......

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 4:40pm
Aren't mooring covers wonderful.

Keeps out rain and kids lookin' to toss seat cushions.

Had I put my canvas on, one night in 2004, I probably wouldn't be missing a one of a kind Correct Craft paddle and a Drop Ski.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

That makes me SAD,
Sweet, that boat had never slept outside more than a couple of nites, and then it was covered on the trailer. Tell me you did not leave it in the water for two weeks,if so, was that new cover not installed correctly ......

the cover was on it but the rear pole was not installed soo thus the big sag in the back with the hole in it but all is well the trans needed a seal anyway boat was dried out moisture soakers put in the bilge and the water was only in there about 30 minutes before it was pumped out. Now it is in good hands. Woody is servicing the boat now. trans seal,alignment, we put about 30 hours on it so it was do. it also had a crack in the plate between the carb and the intake. so shes getting a tune up. shes got to be ready for the SJRR
its only 8 months away!!!!!!!!
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 2:00am
You haven't been picking at the shifter, have you?

What are you gonna do if Woody says:

"I Have No Faith In These Gaskets!!!"
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 5:05am
Last night ~ eeek

After restless sleep on pins and needles + wind had picked up this morning to 12-15, I got some relief when my friend checked it at 7am before church. By 1pm when I arrived the boat had been in the water 25 hrs. Only about 16oz or less of water in the bilge (packing glands are finally close to dialed in right). By night fall we had plenty of water from kids skiing and swimming ~ But no more then normal. Saved 30 miles of towing + driving around to the ramp 2x.

My new Sunbrella cover from Angola Canvas arrived Friday evening ~ but I didn't bring it to the lake because I've always keept the boat at the house. Luckily no rain!           
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 12:50pm
My cover came with a button towards the rear for a pole, but not a pole. I was able to pick up a pole at West Marine that buttons in. I had to shorten it a bit.

My father rigged up a railing support, with a tennis ball on top. We then fastoon that with lettuce ties to the ski pilon. With the two high points, it keeps the cover from taking on water.

Additonally, I took 4 old gallon sized HI-C containers with plastic handles and filled them with sand/gravel. Then I connect them at four points (two on each side) to the cover with bungee cords. The weight of them keeps the cover tight so any rain will shed more quickly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic