NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Joe - evap coil expert!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joe - evap coil expert!!
    Posted: August-08-2011 at 9:24pm
Joe or Charlie,
I've got a problem on one of our older buildings. It was built with a Modutrol zoned system controlling a hot deck/cold deck. The 40 year old remote condensing unit on the roof is finally giving up. It's the semi that sounds like a "bucket of bolts" and it keeps tripping out on high head temp. I Have two HVAC contractors working on quoting the repair. This is a 20 ton unit but Carrier only makes R22 remote condensers starting at 25 HP and up. The one HVAC contractor says it's fine to run the 25 on the old 20 evap coil. The other, wants to convert over to the 411A with a new remote unit but says a new evap coil is needed due to the 411 running at higher pressures!! The biggest issue is this unit serves our corporate offices and man, can those guys complain!! A new coil is going to be a big expense!! I already went through a custom built steam coil last fall!!!

Now, I'm leaning towards just a compressor. But, I'm not to sure about the controls in this damn thing. The old mechanical timers were replaced with a solid state and a time delay was added to by pass the low pressure switch during pump down. Man, I don't need those corporate guys yelling at me every 10 minutes!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 10:49pm
Pete is that 410 a or 411 a and in the smaller homeowner units a txv valve helps the conversion is that also true on the 15 ton and over?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 12:06am
Pete,

It sucks but there is no way i would put a nice new condenser on that old evaporator. I agree switching to 410a would be good for future. it does run at higher psi. R-22 runs at about 70 psi and around a 40 degree coil as to a 410a system runs around 115-120 to get a 40 degree coil. Temp*press. chart will be exact. also i would get rid of the old modutrol, automated DDC would be the nice way to go. If you do decide on just changing the cond. make sure they flush the line set good with r-11 and nitrogen.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 12:51am
Other countries use a refine propane instead of freon. A co-worker of mine is switching his unit to propane, he said it has a lower head pressure and that makes it use less electricity.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 12:41pm
Well, after talking with two of my HVAC companies and finding out that a complete remote condensor change and a new custom sized coil would approach 35K both have recommended and quoted the easy fix. That's just putting in a new 20 ton compressor that still runs R22!! This spring to get it going, we did plenty of other repairs (and $$$!) to that remote condensor. Two of the three condensor fans and motors were replaced, the "mother" board updated, contactors, and compressor head gasket! Those OEM 480 volt condensor fan motors are not cheap!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 12:58pm
Sorry didn't see it but I agree with the compressor change out.. you would not have liked the 25 ton unit with the 20 ton evap.. newer units typically are running higher evap temps (bigger coils/more air) than the old ones to begin with.. you could have had coil freezing issues to go along with your increased energy consumption.

A correctly sized 410A unit wouldnt have been the worst idea, yes the 410 pressures are higher.. but on the lowside it is generally not a deal breaker. You would want to make that call without more info on the evap design though.   

Had a pretty nice pair of customer return compressors come in this week from systems that ignore the Low pressure switch for the first 20 seconds.. depending on the compressor design that can be plenty of time to draw a deep vacuum if the expansion valve is closed or blocked and will cause some arching and possible mechancal damage. They lost two brand new 25T scrolls.. and no warranty coming due to the running them repeatedly in a vacuum.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 10:52pm
Joe,
Thanks for the input. The replacement 20 ton unit and the crane to get the old one out and the new one in is on it's way Friday. I love it when the damn things are in the middle of a 200' wide building!! Those long reaches kill you with the size of crane needed!! BTW, I went with a good known rebuilder. The OEM Carrier compressor was almost 4K more!!!! (the project is almost 9K, so the 4K is a big difference!!)

After all is said and done, we'll see if they thing still trips out. All the opinions say if it does, get rid of the new "board/controls and replace it with some old time, old fashion mechanical's. They worked for many years and still do to this day!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 7:21pm
Well, the compressor went in yesterday and was cranked up this morning. Bad compressor!! Evidently the re builder screwed up someplace. The motor ran but the crank, connecting rods and pistons didn't!! There must be some kind of coupling between the motor and the crank on a semi that wasn't connected! So, now my HVAC guy has got to get the crane back and drop in another compressor!! I feel sorry for him but theses things do happen. I went with a rebuild since the OEM (Carrier) compressor was 4K more!!! Thankfully for us, this was a hard quoted job!

BTW, that crane made it to within 6" of the centerline/lifting point of the 450lb compressor. The guys were able to pull sideways enough to get the old out and the new bad one in. This is without the crane operator having to rig the extension arm on the end of his boom. Good since that's an extra charge!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic