Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringers
    Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:49pm
I am going to look at a couple of boats next week, how do you check stringers?

This will be the first boat I buy so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Dakota
2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 7:42pm
If the owner wont let you screw a bolt out of the motor or tranny mounts, put your fingers on either side of the tranny mount against the stringer, have someone put the boat in gear and see if you feel movement. Another way to tell if the motor is moving is inspect the inside of the dog box, see if the pulleys have been rubbing the inside and check the drive shaft near the strut to see if you see a small shiny area just ahead of the strut.
Tim D
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 9:38pm
If the owner wont let you screw a bolt out of the motor or tranny mounts, put your fingers on either side of the tranny mount against the stringer, have someone put the boat in gear and see if you feel movement.

This may sound stupid, I would imagine the motor has to be running for this test right?
2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 12:11am
Yes, running.
Tim D
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 11:46pm
Weigh it too.

That can tell how many extra pounds of water you are carrying in your foam.

My 'new to me' 1986 SN 2001 with more than 3/4 tank of fuel, a radio, amp, and 4 speakers, and full fluids in the engine on the trailer came in at 3820 pounds. The trailer itself (original CC trailer) came in at 940 pounds.

3820 - 940 = 2880.

2880 - fuel, fluids, battery = 2637

Factory dry weight = 2400 pounds.

Factor in the stereo, amp, speakers and deluxe seating, and my boat MAYBE has, at the very most, 100 pounds of saturation. Very minimal for a 25 year old boat.

Being that you are looking at a new (well...old) CC, check out this thread where I show my ignorance many times over. Lots of good info:

Linky!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic