Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

318 heat exchanger

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 318 heat exchanger
    Posted: March-18-2004 at 7:57pm
I want to add a heat exchanger to my 318 . Can anyone send pictures or help me figure flow pattern etc? Thanks
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2004 at 1:15am
What is it for? You have one for the tranny already. If you need another I might just order another tranny exchanger and hang it on the down side of the Tranny exchanger.Don't put it before as the tranny needs water directly from the pump as it puts out alot of heat.
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2004 at 9:40am
It's for the engine. I don't want salt water in my engine.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2004 at 2:42pm
what you are needing is a closed cooling system. chrysler had stopped building motors some time ago. i don't know where you could find a new one. i'll try to check with some old contacts and see if there is anything around.
woodyelc
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2004 at 2:54pm
I would try Blue Ridge Marine in Washington 800 621-2215 Sak for Paul He had alot of older 318 parts laying around.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2004 at 3:03pm
just talked to chrysler dealer was told nothing new from chrysler.
woodyelc
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2004 at 10:41am
I know where to buy the heat exchanger itsself. I would love to know where it's located in other boats and see a picture.I was hoping someone else had made this conversion and could give some Quick tips.I think that I will have to add another water pump to the engine. The parts aren't the problem , it's the direction of flow and how to stuff it all into the boat.Thanks.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2004 at 1:24pm
you should research your project. cooling is dependant on flow rates and the size of the exchanger. look at the mercruiser and offshore forums for routing diagrams.

your raw water pump will pump the salty brine through the exchanger and then out the risers (and manifolds if you plumb it that way).

your engine recirculating pump will handle the chore of pumping the coolant through the exchanger.

your engine will run hotter with the conversion
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2004 at 2:24am
I have a schematic of the freshwater cooling from my 66 316M manual No pictures of the setup though sorry i am emailing them to Jeff to add to the refernece link
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic