Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission shop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission shop
    Posted: September-07-2005 at 6:46pm
Can anyone recommend, in the Houston area, a good, fair and not outrageously expensive shop to fix my trans? I have a SN 2001 with velvet drive and it has failed to proceed.
Bob Ed
83 2001
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2005 at 2:52pm
Sorry, I cannot. But, can you turn a wrench with a bit of confidence? If so, your garage is the perfect shop for rebuilding the tranny. As trannies go, you will not find one simpler.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 3:43am
I have turned a lot of wrenches on lots of stuff over the years, just never in a transmission. I'm going to pull it out and see what's what. It can't get any worse than broke.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 1:43pm
Bob's. Get you a cleaning pan and a stiff brissle brush. Put a small amount of mineral spirits in the pan to use for cleaning. I may be stating the obvious to you (and I apoligize if I am) but I have seen people assemble dirty parts and it drives me nuts. Also, a little compressed air will help a lot when it comes to parts cleaning. If your budget does not allow a small air compressor get a few cans of "canned air" and use those.

It works well to set up a small "dirty parts" area where parts get placed during disassembly and a "clean parts" area where parts are placed after cleaning and prior to assembly. I stress this because dirt is the enemy during a rebuild. (One spec of dirt in the wrong place can kill your trans.) (But then again my girlfriend tells me I am just like the Monk character she watches on TV.)

I have not yet read the Velvet Drive repair manual but I suspect new clutch plates should be soaked in trans fluid (just to give them a good coating) prior to assembly. Someone tell me if I am wrong but even if the manual does not say to soak the new clutch plates I would do so anyway.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 3:23pm
Bob:

Glad to hear are going to give it a shot. Just make sure you mark the position of the pump (prior to removal) so that you do not reinstall 180 degrees out.
guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 6:14pm
We always soaked the clutch plates in ATF. The rebuild is fairly easy. A muffin tin is a good way to separate and keep track of parts and bolts. Of course, drain the tranny and crack it open over a pan to manage the rest of the mess.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2005 at 2:51am
I'll pull all the fluid out i can with my little pump before I pull the trans. Pans and solvent I have plenty of. I've been into lots of motors, just no trans, so cleaning and blowing out and cleaning again goes without saying. The last big disassembly and rebuild was 5.0 Mustang engine. Now if I can only find my round tuit.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2005 at 3:12am
Thank you Mr. Guest - whoever you are.

Hey Bob. Rebuilding the trans could make for an excellent step-by-step post with pics for us who have not yet tackled it but are about to.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2005 at 11:39am
I second that request. I would like to see what is in these transmissions as well as your thoughts when you take it apart. Will it come apart like a watch Or is it going to be like an engine or carb and go right back together. Good luck!
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 8:28pm
Well I started trying to get it out today, and now I have to go buy a couple of new tools The bottom studs are so close to the bottom and stingers it takes a stubby open end, and I'll need a hoist to get it out of the boat. As far a pics, well I bought the wife a digital camera for anniversary (29) so when she opens it I'll try my hand at posting.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2005 at 9:01pm
Now that Rita is gone and we have the plants running maybe I'll get a chance to continue.
Bob Ed
83 2001
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2005 at 9:16pm
I found some cotton gloves at harbor freight for 6 for five dollars that keep your hands soft and young looking. It is nice to not have the grease in my cuticles for days after I work on the boat. House looks better too and I dont have to walk around and clean off my fingerprints from outside to inside.

I would think you could just lift that transmission out by hand once you get it off. How much is it weigh? Looking foreward to seeing the pictures and you thoughts.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2005 at 11:48am
Paul:

The latex or vinyl gloves work great as well. They are sold in boxes of 100 at Home Depot or similiar stores. FWIW, my hands sweat less using the vinyl gloves (in lieu of latex).
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2005 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by pswann pswann wrote:

I would think you could just lift that transmission out by hand once you get it off. How much is it weigh? Looking foreward to seeing the pictures and you thoughts.

I have read that it weighs around 100 lb.With a helper I'm sure it could be lifted but coming up from the bilge and over the side is more than my old back wants to think about alone. I have a hoist I'm going to use to get it out of the boat.
Bob Ed
83 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic