Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gelcoat Vs. Paint

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jared Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gelcoat Vs. Paint
    Posted: September-08-2005 at 4:15pm
Hello everyone! I'm in the process of gutting and restoring a 78 SN. I've decided to go Red White n Blue and forgo the original paint scheme, all though I want to keep the original lettering "ski nautique, correct craft competition ski boat". I intend to do this with vinyl decals that everyone talks about here. In order to get the red white n blue though, I'm thinking the work of doing it in gelcoat will pay off later. So my question is
1.)Have any of you guys (or gals) done any gelcoat work.
2.) Do any of ya know where to find a deal on the vinly lettering?
3.) Will metal-flake clear gelcoat work to seal in the letters to prevent pealing?

Any help and/or input would be great! :)

A boat is just a hole in the water to toss your money into. Here is mine! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=865&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2005 at 1:20am
Good question! I had that discussion with a real expert...this guy is an auto body painter and pin striper...does fiberglass repairs,gel work and builds boat hulls...even builds the molds!

His opinion is...sure if you want to restore closer to ogininal cond. ...go with spraying gel...but it is harder to work with and not a do it your self job unless you know what your doing.

He thinks that because auto paints are so good these days...that's the way for most to go!

In some cases , if the fade is not too bad and the hull looks good...clear coating can make the boat look darn good.

I have a 72 that I want to shoot just the under side to the chines...He tells me he can match the color and teach me how to do spray gelcoat! So that is the plan for me!

Let us know how it turns out and post the finished project...good luck!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2005 at 1:57pm
Well, unfortutly I don't know what I'm doing, and I am going to do it my self. All though I did find a great local guy with 50 years experience building and working with fiberglass, boats, gelcoats, and everything marine minus the mechaical stuff. He quoted me 2800 to do the job himself, but he's been more than generous with his time and information to assist me in doing it my self. I may just pay him a "consulting" fee of some kind when it's time to spray the boat. Just to have him on hand and do it right. Cant afford 2800 though so the worst case scenerio may include a lot of extra sanding.

Fortunatly I've got 3 siblings, 1 brother in law, and a couple of friends who I plan to invite to the hull finishing party when it's time to sand the gelcoat down to a finish! :)

I'll post some pictures when I get some more done. In the meantime, try to imagine this..

78 Nautique with a Navy Blue Hull, Red from the rubrail down to the blue. The divide will be where the current stripe under the Ski Nautique is. I'm currently looking for white a graphics source to get replications of the stripe and "Ski Nautique" on the sides of the Hull. When the boat is done with the Red/Blue Gecloat, I'll put the decal over the "seam" (hopefully hiding any blemishes there). Then after that I plan to use clear, metal flake gelcoat to go over the decals and seal them in to prevent pealing.

Any body know where I can get those graphics???
A boat is just a hole in the water to toss your money into. Here is mine! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=865&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2005 at 3:03pm
Jared:

To your original post:

Item #1: I have been there and done that...see my '93 SN in the diaries section. Although I restored a badly damaged boat, it required extensive gelcoat work. I had never touched gelcoat prior to repairing the boat. I just research the heck out of it and (not trying to toot my own horn) and fairly talented in doing most hands on things, so I was not scared to try. I can tell you first hand that it is a hell of a lot of hard work. you will absolutely hate the sanding part. If you decide to go this route, I can give you advice so you do not have to learn the hard way like I did. There are issues wiht spraing gelcoat that can be overcome if you know what you are doing.

Item #2: Check a sign/graphics shop in your area. CC will have factory vinyl logos.

Item #3: Do not even think about it.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2005 at 3:12pm
Spray the graphics on, because that vinyl crap will not last. I used 3M's "the edge" tape and frisket to mask off my designs.
Tim D
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2005 at 5:40pm
I purchased my 1970 Mustang eight years ago and the hull had been repainted the original red of that year. The paint was automotive with a clearcoat applied over it. WOW is all I can say about the hull. The finished has never faded or anything. It still looks like a new hull! I just wax it once a season.

The paint method might save a lot of time and $ while still giving your boat head turning looks.
Barry, South Carolina

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2005 at 1:12pm
I may look further into paint, but my instincts tell me gelcoat will last much longer. Since I plan to keep the boat for a really long time, I want to go with what I think will give the most long lasting good looks, and easy maintence. The only problem is that I've got so many mixed reviews about how to get the original "ski nautique" and other original text back on the boat. Since some of you say vinyl letters/stickers, and others say sprayed on graphics.. that actually may dictate the final direction. If I have to spray on the graphics, paint would probably be easiest. But If I gelcoat the new colors on the boat, vinyl graphics may be a must to get the text/font right. Only time will tell I guess, the boat is still in the midst of having the stringers and floor fixed so I've got some time.
Any otheres with input are appreciated. :)

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 4:05pm
I'll bite...
Whats wrong with the finish the way it is? It looks great! Fill voids, wetsand, buff heavy then light cut with a 9" var speed sander and wool pad and lean on it(not those silly car buffers), wax then ride! Perhaps add a blue vinyl stripe if you want RWB; but before you wax.

Regelling that boat in that good a condition is a no-value-added ordeal, and after the cost and stress when the boat nears a dock or someone steps on it will make you no fun to be around...its not a paragon. I suggest get it functional, safe and practical, then ski.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 6:39pm
JJ; I have to agree with Gotta. Only way I'd go that route is if you had damage. You just need to get it to where it looks good and SKI with it. My .02 worth...jbear
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2005 at 12:02am
A large autobody shop in our town that does it all said that no matter what kind of paint used, it will eventually bubble at from the waterline down. He said gelcoat is the way to go even though its a pain! And I certainly agree with Tim D 110%! Rub up against a dock and the vinyl is gone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 5:17pm
Yeah, well it may not be a paragon, but it's my intent to make this boat a true one of a kind. Not to mention, I do not plan to sell it, I plan to keep it. I know I'll get urked with new marks and mars on the new gelcoat, but I'm sure the result would be equal or worse wtih just paint/vinyl. I plan to paint on the white lettering when I'm done also, not use decals. I have found some good recources for that part using transparent acetate with adhesive. As for the gelcoat deal, I am pretty bent on doing it now. I dont want to deal with bubbles, or other issues down the road. Nor do I want an all white boat because they'll show more marks than any other color. Finally, I have all winter to do this. The sanding will be the hard part, but I'll just rent 3-5 palm sanders from THD and enlist my family and friends to take a section and work it down with me. They'll all be using the boat when it's done anyhow :)... The bottom line is, I want this boat to shine, better than new, until my kids (that do not yet exist) are grown up. The only way that's gona happen is with an extensive restoration using the right stuff. The bottom line though is I want a lot of RED White n Blue, not just accents.

It's not going to be "fun", but hey at least I'll be getting my workout on the days I get a lot of sanding done! :)
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 5:26pm
The pharmacy called and your meds are ready.

I think there is a 70% chance of bubbles occuring within the first four years if you spray gel.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 7:05pm
While this thread is still going... anybody have a remedy for spider cracks? My Never refinshed, orginal Champange color '65 is loaded with them, Several Paint and body people have told my it MUST be regelcoated, if painted the spider cracks will return.... anybody done this? I have them everywhere including above the water line. I would like to fill them in with something and paint it.
NO LONGER A MEMBER
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I think there is a 70% chance of bubbles occuring within the first four years if you spray gel.

I do not believe this to be true. I had my '77 re-gelcoated (sprayed) in '89 and so far there has never been one bubble (maybe I am the 30%). The boat is trailered after each use. If sprayed properly, gelcoat will give excellent results and durability. With any surface treatment, proper surface preparation is the key to a long lasting finish.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

The boat is trailered after each use.

That just may be the key.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 7:53pm
My solution, as borrowed from professionals, is to grind out the cracks with a dremel tool to a width of no less than 1/8" and full depth of gelcoat to fiberglass. The "V" shaped trough is then patched with gelcoat and sanded smooth/flush with surrounding gelcoat (If properly color matched, then this is the final repair) prior to painting.

The crack will reappear IF:
1. The original crack is not ground out to fiberglass.
2. Wax and other contaminants are not removed, from the surface, prior to grinding.
3. The ground out crack is not cleaned with Acetone (or similiar) prior to infilling with gelcoat.
4. You do not have a clue
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 8:54pm
I don't think I'll live long enough to grind out all the fine spider cracks my hull has! I was more hoping I could spread body filler (or something) all over it, sand and then prim & paint.....
I guess I am in catorgy 4 above!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2005 at 11:51am
Yeh, I can understand your concerns. Unfortunately I do not think covering the cracks with bondo will work. Mainly because when you sand the Bondo to feather with the surrounding surface, you just removed most if not all the bondo. The spider cracks are weak spot in the surface of the finish and will eventually telegraph right on through whatever is covering them up.

In the construction industry, we use elastomeric crack fillers to bridge across cracks in plaster prior to painting. This works, but the technique is not suitable for boats.

When I restored my '93SN, the 1/4 of the port side of the boat was a solid mass of stress cracks due to the impact of the collision with the rock jetty. My solution was to grind ALL of the gelcoat off the hull down to bare fiberglass. I then brushed on thinned epoxy resin and immediately heated the resin with a heat gun to help the resin flow into the micro cracks within the fiberglass. My theory was that this would help close the stress cracks in the fiberglass. Since grinding is a imprecise operation, I then had to smooth the surface with bondo to eliminate the highs and low caused by grinding. Finally, I sprayed gelcoat to a thickness of about 1/32" to 1/16". Finishing required many hours of sanding by hand...not a fun process at all. If I were doing an entire boat, I would paint just to eliminate the sanding (or most of it). The end product so far has proven durable and not one single crack has appeared.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2005 at 12:30pm
Thanks for the notice, but my meds are delivered to my house. The pharmacy must be calling to let you know about your meds!

Care to make a wager on the 4 year lifespan you're quoting??

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2005 at 12:44pm
I am confused

Did you post to the wrong topic?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2005 at 7:23pm
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2005 at 11:45am
Actually, I have a lot of those spyder cracks too, and I've all ready begun removing the gelcoat to expose the glass that is cracked under it. I'm going to re-apply some glass over the bad stuff with cracks. After that, I'll resurface it and sand it down. Fill in any gaps with heavy filler. Then sand it smooth and level before spraying new gelcoat. This is the only way to prevent the cracks from re-appearing.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2005 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Jared Johnston Jared Johnston wrote:

Nor do I want an all white boat because they'll show more marks than any other color.

My experience has been the opposite. I find that deep marks, such as scratches show less in white. Black marks from trailers, etc. are also easier to buff off.

Personally, I do think your project will be "fun." Sure it will be hard work, but if you enjoy projects, and if you've never done something like this, and if you have the time, I think it would be a blast.

Good luck with it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2005 at 5:49pm
JJ,

Who is going to ride in your boat after your family leaves you? My vote is you take up a collection from them (hold the boat hostage)and pay to get it done. It's way cheaper than a lawyer. I had a job once that required I sand things. I quit.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2005 at 9:32pm
I sure am glad J_I_H is back on this site; posting with his special brand of humor...john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2005 at 7:29pm
I laugh more reading these posts than watching any tv show...keep um coming
Scott
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2005 at 8:00pm
We just restored our '78 last winter and repainted it with AwlGrip, the paint looks great and the white has the "depth" to the color that no gel coat will ever have, even new. As to the "all paints will bubble" theory, this is true if u leave your boat in the water for long periods of time (weeks/months) but untrue if you have a lift and hoist your boat out of the water after each use.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 3:49pm
Yeah, J_I_H I appreciate your humor and did laugh a bit my self. The flip side though is that my GF recently commented that I'm getting "buff" spending all this time working on the boat. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having done the work my self, and getting even MORE buff. Still yet another person (besides you Nate) recomended Awlgrip on the boat hull. I would do that if I had the lift for the boat all ready. Since I dont have it though, I have to assume I might not get one by next summer just in case. Fortunatly though, I dont think I need to hold the boat hostage to get the work done. I have a lot of help when the boat is ready for the "sanding party". We'll see though, I may still change my mind and go for Awl grip. I don't have to make that decision until I fix all the cracks in the glass though. Since it's now Dec, and aprox 16 degrees outside, I'm not working on the glass repair until I have a safe way to heat the garage while I address those cracks. That's my "big fish"
to fry at the moment. I don't care to run the wood burner while crossing my fingers as I pull the trigger on some catalized resin in my garage. I think that might be testing my luck a bit more than I'd like to, and I generally dont mind to test it. I'm probably going to rig up a duct to pipe in heat from a forced air heater on the other end of the garage behind a wall. That's a project in it self! :P

thanks for the awl grip idea again, btw does anyone know if you really need a full faced closed mask with that stuff? I was told by someone that you could not even use a resparator, it had to be a "closed air system".
87sn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 9:15pm
look into the awl grip.. I'am doing the same project to my 87..a buddys dad has been biulding boats for 20 or more years..he said he would paint it for $1000..and he wants to sand the boat himself because thats the part that screws up the paint work...guys sand the wax we all cake on are boats right into the gelcoat and the new paint/gel will never bond properly...I know he painted his boat years ago and it sits in the ocean for months..do the prep work right and you'll be fine..ask the person who sells the paint what mask to use..
wrollema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrollema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2005 at 5:23pm
Most of the less expensive run-abouts are painted and unless they are stored inside after use and kept out of the sun as much as possible they will begin to show their age after 3 or 4 years.
There is a reason why high quality boat manufactures use Gel-Kote it is durable, easy to maintain and over the long haul will maintain its appearance. I have witnessed a Ski Nautique that was painted, looked good at first but after the second year it looked terrible. The boat looked scruffy and the owner admitted it was a mistake to use paint. To summarize short term paint may work over the long term it will not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic