Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop shaft seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop shaft seal
    Posted: November-05-2011 at 8:16pm
I replaced my prop shaft seal with the Gortex seal. I just tightened it barely one hand tight. This works good and I have no drips. The brass housing and nut get very warm however. Is this normal?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Roym Roym wrote:

I replaced my prop shaft seal with the Gortex seal. I just tightened it barely one hand tight. This works good and I have no drips. The brass housing and nut get very warm however. Is this normal?

Even with the Gortex, you need some water running though the packing. Loosen!! You have not been following our instructions!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 8:51pm
Pete,

Is it ok to have it less than snug. I wanted it to drip a little but it didn't. What about the heat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Roym Roym wrote:

Pete,

Is it ok to have it less than snug. I wanted it to drip a little but it didn't. What about the heat?

Roy,
It will take some time and experimenting until the goxtex seats itself on the shaft. Warm is OK but hot isn't. The oyher problem that comes to play is shaft run out. Fill me in as I can'nt remember if you fif a full alignment as well as a shaft straightness check with a dial indicator?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 10:06pm
I recently did the alignment, but never checked the shaft straightness. It's probably going to be ok. It's new Gortex and only had 10 minutes of run time. I loosened it up and ran it for about another 20 minutes, but had kids in the boat, so I didn't want to mess with it. I'll play with it tomorrow.

I repacked it 6 months ago but had it out of the water until the other day. I think I put in 5 pieces of packing, does that sound about right. I believe it only had three pieces before.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 10:26pm
Roy,
When I went to my last "Gortex" job, I too had a problem. I had always used 1/4" (old wax/graphite) but the Gortex was over sized' I ended up getting another batch of 3/16.

Just give it some time any play with it. keep in mind the Gortex still needs some water running through it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic