Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Graphics update

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graphics update
    Posted: November-22-2011 at 9:30am
I am sure a bucket full of patience is needed with paint or vinyl
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2011 at 5:29pm
I am looking for a stencil for painting, or even a vinyl decal to replace the injection molded plastic 70's style "Correct Craft" script on the rear sides of my '76 Southwind. The dimensions are 21" long x 1"-4" tall depending on the letter.

I have decided not to replace the plastic as they may get broken off again when it rubs against my loading racks on the back of the trailer. Paint or vinyl is the way I want to go.

Let me know if anybody has ever done this.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2011 at 5:11pm
Has anyone priced? having a stensil made?

For the retentively analitical types:
There were slight variations of the lettering stensil and the stripes between the years of 1974 and 1979. And not talking about the obvious variations like, pinstripes, stripes continuing around the transom corners, inverted stripes, etc...

For example: My '74 was re-stensiled with the stensil that was available from CC.   The letters (Ski Nautique) were not an exact presise reproduction. Even the other Al's vinyl re-pops are not presisely exact. But, other than the bottom line on the "S" being too short, they are probably so close that no judge on this earth could tell the difference. As long as you can make your arrow stripe line look straight on a curved surface.

When I re-do my stripes and letters to Kelly Green Metal Flake they will be vinyl.

I do have 1 set of single letter cut-outs for the starboard side. I might be able to assist in the making of a new stencil.

Re-stripeing/lettering does take a certain degree of having an artistic hand and a bucket full of patience.

More important than the paint/vinyl debate (to me) would be the straightness and proper location of the stripe arrow.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 4:20pm
Pete, I haven't tried to sell this guy anything. Are you turning into the next Chris B. ?
Tim D
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 2:46pm
TRBJ, Technically, you don't inverse the graphics. Decal or stencil, you cut the same thing, you just peel out different parts, either the background for a decal or just the letters for a stencil.
Tim D
doubleup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 2:39pm
Finally someone thinking with their brain, instead of being brain-dead.
Just wanting to insult like a child doesn't serve any purpose. You are on to something here, .... if i print out the graphics on the roll and don't weed out the snk name and stripes, then weed out the reverse, you have your stencil. Do you understand my term " weed " ? You may have something here. You "perfect people" do the spellcheck.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Mike888 Mike888 wrote:

I agree that paint IS the ONLY medium our vessels should sport. However; life does not always provide what we purists want. I would love to have a gerber mask of my letters and stripes. Are you able to provide them??????? Please share your source with the rest of the interested parties on ccf.com, because I am not the only owner looking for these graphics.

If Al has the files to cut out the graphics, wouldnt it be a simple thing to cut out the inverse in a gerbermask to use as a paint template? Tracing the original graphics is the other option, as Pete pointed out. If yours are still intact (even if just ghosting remains) you can mask them off by hand using painters tape. Jeff Toro did that with his '77 Nautique and documented it here, the graphics came out awesome.

Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Pete, "70's/80's boats DO NOT get vinyl graphics." ?????? I guess you have never been close to a '85-'89 Ski Nautique 2001 or a Silver Nautique. They have vinyl over gel stripes. But hell, you know everything, wait, you know more than Correct Craft.

Pete should have been more specific on his year range. The last year for painted stripes/graphics on the Ski Nautique was 1984. The Barefoot Nautique was painted through '85. After that, the stripes are in the gel and the graphics are vinyl. I think the original poster has a boat older than '84 though.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 2:02am
TimD;

Can you email me at dgwinn111@gmail.com. I have a question for you about a couple of vinyl decals I am interested in purchasing. They would very similar to some decals I purchased from you on ebay a while back. I tried to email you, but, your email is private.    
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 12:37am

Covering a mistake with sarcasm again, go to it Pete.

Sorry Tim but I do not understand your comment?? Aren't you the best at vinyl decals?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 10:31pm
Covering a mistake with sarcasm again, go to it Pete.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 10:20pm

Pete, "70's/80's boats DO NOT get vinyl graphics." ?????? I guess you have never been close to a '85-'89 Ski Nautique 2001 or a Silver Nautique. They have vinyl over gel stripes. But hell, you know everything, wait, you know more than Correct Craft.

Tim,
I really apologize. I really should have looked at the year of his boat and left the "grand master of selling decals" handle the situation. go to it and sell your product!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 9:52pm
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 9:50pm
Michael,
The most common method of reproducing the graphics is to trace the existing (hopefully they are still there - if not, one of our members may be able to help) with the tracing, your local vinyl shop will scan it into their computer. They will "clean up" the tracing and then from there can cut ether a positive vinyl or a negative mask. Hopefully you do the later.

There are some absolutely fantastic threads on re-painting graphics. Check out the on site search feature (advanced).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mike888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 9:35pm
8122pbbrainard. After I posted my reply to your very critical response, I sat and thought about this for a while. I believe our web master Keith introduced Al Thomas to the ccf.com family back in 2009. Al, has been off the radar for his own personal reasons. I only joined this forum recently because I am an owner. I have been searching this site for some way of reproducing my graphics. I and my family have been owners of correct craft vessels for 65 years or more. Thank you for pointing out the purist view of what any owner of an early 70s should have or do. I agree that paint IS the ONLY medium our vessels should sport. However;
life does not always provide what we purists want. I would love to have a gerber mask of my letters and stripes. Are you able to provide them??????? Please share your source with the rest of the interested parties on ccf.com, because I am not the only owner looking for these graphics. mike888. Pull Hard Y'all
Michael
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2011 at 9:36am
Thanks Pete, I am purchasing a 1978 Nautique that I will pick up in about 10 days. I will post photos then, I believe it is pretty original. This subject is of interest to me as the graphics need restoration and involve red, green, yellow, and blue that transition into each other.      Steve.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2011 at 9:11am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

How about an experienced painter describing the gerber mask or equal process in some detail, thanks.

Some would call the mask a "stencil". It's applied like a vinyl decal, paint is applied and the mask is removed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2011 at 9:03am
How about an experienced painter describing the gerber mask or equal process in some detail, thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2011 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Mike888 Mike888 wrote:

Hey charger496 and all who have been frustrated by the lack of reproducible graphics for our 1970s 1980s graphics. I have just been in touch with Al Thomas who after a long absence is back and is back with the correct size and style for our vintage vessels. He can be reached through ccf.com. or contact me and I will hook you up. I am ordering my new vinyl graphics from him and will let you all know how they go on and look as soon as I am done. Pull hard y'all.....   mike888

So, you have decided to go non original vinyl? Not the normal for this site!What about paint and a Gerbermask or equal? It sounds like this Al Thomas guy still doesn't know his business?? Please, tell me more - 70's/80's boats DO NOT get vinyl graphics. Your post is verging on a advertising SPAM post. Hopefully it's not but as requested, prove it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mike888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2011 at 10:51pm
Hey charger496 and all who have been frustrated by the lack of reproducible graphics for our 1970s 1980s graphics. I have just been in touch with Al Thomas who after a long absence is back and is back with the correct size and style for our vintage vessels. He can be reached through ccf.com. or contact me and I will hook you up. I am ordering my new vinyl graphics from him and will let you all know how they go on and look as soon as I am done. Pull hard y'all.....   mike888
Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic