NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attn: Dave (overmyhead)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attn: Dave (overmyhead)
    Posted: November-24-2011 at 11:29am
Dave,
I tried to send a PM to you but without luck.

Here it is:

Hey Dave, whats up??
I've got a question and since you are the expert on wood flooring, I thought about you.

My home up north will be going through a remodel and expansion in a couple years. I've been looking at 3/4 Red pine in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 inches wide. I'm getting mixed reviews on the stuff. I've looked at the Janka hardness and was quite surprised on it's rating. If I remember correctly, it's rated higher than some Oaks. I will ether go to one of the mills in Michigan or my other choice is a local mill where I would get RS and do the finish milling myself. It will be going down on a radiant floor (Warmboard). The suggested method is to glue and nail.

My selection of the Red Pine is based on it being and appropriate choice for a rustic north woods home. BTW, it would be a "cottage" grade.

Any comments?

Have a great Thanksgiving as well as Christmas.

Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2011 at 11:32am
will you be flooding that area often?" lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 2:51am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dave,
I tried to send a PM to you but without luck.

Here it is:

Hey Dave, whats up??
I've got a question and since you are the expert on wood flooring, I thought about you.

My home up north will be going through a remodel and expansion in a couple years. I've been looking at 3/4 Red pine in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 inches wide. I'm getting mixed reviews on the stuff. I've looked at the Janka hardness and was quite surprised on it's rating. If I remember correctly, it's rated higher than some Oaks. I will ether go to one of the mills in Michigan or my other choice is a local mill where I would get RS and do the finish milling myself. It will be going down on a radiant floor (Warmboard). The suggested method is to glue and nail.

My selection of the Red Pine is based on it being and appropriate choice for a rustic north woods home. BTW, it would be a "cottage" grade.

Any comments?

Have a great Thanksgiving as well as Christmas.

Pete

Hey Pete, I dont know whats up with the PM. We dont do a large percentage of pine floors, but I have done several, The red pine would look great in a cabin. I like the look of a mixed 3,4 5" widths, either in a pattern or random in that application, I am not convinced that Janka is everything. My experience is that the red pine will ding easier than the oak, but that is not a bad thing for a cabin. You can expect it to get a petina, and that is a nice look over time. I have even left it rough (cicle) sawn and finished it without sanding. Another option is Australion cyprus. I put 2400 feet of the stuff in a massive log cabin and it looked spectacular. It has lots of color variation and character and is very hard. Visually it reminds me of cedar but less red. It has a high oil content that makes finishing a little finicky. I dont do much on the finishing end but I could consult and get you the proper process. I know it does not stain well at all.

If it is a tongue and grove product nailing or glue down alone should be adequate. Things get messy when you try to do both, I refuse to use trowel glue and a flooring stapler, I always end up with my nailers and hoses full of glue. On wider boards (Over 5") I have run construction adhesive on the backs and used the nailers which is not to bad. I believe the trowelable latex adhesives used today would be a minor insulator and slow heat transfer. I am not familiar with "warm board", is that electric or hot water? I recently laid walnut directly over an electric mat in a master bath. We could nail through everthing but the feed wires. Otherwise you want 3/4 inch ply to "nail" into, actually a 1.5" staple or cleat (as opposed to the usual 2") at a 45 degree through the tongue stops just short of the bottom of the ply.   If you mill yourself without the tongue and groove you do not have a choice, you will have to trowel glue down, and with cottage grade you can throw in a few pin nails as necesary to hold it down until the glue sets. Old school cut nails throught the face look cool to, but are probably not an option with the heat. In either application you want to have the heat up and running, with surface temps not exceeding 84 degrees with your nifty infrared scanner. Sub floor should be below 12% moisture content, Then "rack out" or spread the boards over the floor and let them acclimate for several days. In most circumstances acclimation is old school and over rated. Having the ability to stick floors with a pin meter and ensure adequate conditions is better than stacking the wood in a room for a week and hoping. That said I advocate acclimating over in-floor-heat, you are asking a lot of a wood floor in this circumstance, and pre-shrinking the boards over the heat will give you a tighter floor long term.

When you are ready to go I can give you a few tricks of the trade for your choice of installation along with my phone number.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 3:31am
I got curious and went to warm boards web site. I have installed over very similar if not the same product, In one case it was 2 1/4 material and nailed only, and the other was 3 1/4 and trowel glued and pin nailed through the tonge (again very messy doing both and I will not use the flooring stapler) You do not need an extra 3/4 ply over the top you can install to that directly with 2" fasteners. You want the tubing running paralel to the floor joists and perpendicular to the flooring direction. I am paranoid of nailing into the tubes. I hit one once and that was one to many. I probably had 1500 staples in 600 square feet of floor, 1499 were right on but everyone remembers the one that wasnt. I skip the usual paper under the floor so I can see what I am doing, although I have used clear poly as a vapro barrier over an unconditioned crawl space. I have gone as far as putting blue tape over the tubes just to make a stronger visual reminder. When you nail floors everyday you can get up a good head of steam and you develop a habitual nailing pattern that is hard to break. As I lay flooring over the loops I transfer their location onto the top of the wood in pencil or with tape as insurance.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 11:02am
Dave,
Thanks for your input. I did look at the Australian Cypress way back when I was looking at the typical commercially available wood floors. I was at that time looking at engineered to keep a better heat transfer from the radiant. I leaned away from it just because of it's wide color variations. Then I talked with the Midwest Warmboard rep and he said a 3/4" floor is not a problem. This was when I really started looking at what local woods would have been used and decided the cottage Red Pine would be perfect.

Ok, I will suggest construction adhesive and pin nail to the contractor laying the flooring,

Thanks again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 11:27am
Pete, I probably gave you to much information, I would trowel glue and pin or construction adhesive with the flooring stapler/cleat nailer.
1987 Ski Nautique

bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 12:17pm
dogs,high heels and pine floors dont mix.some call it patina
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

Brian,
No need to worry as high heels up north are not the norm unless you're into something on the "kinky" side and I'm way past that point in my life!!

Dog yes but we keep there nails trimmed.

The Red pine is surprisingly tough stuff and with it in a "cottage" grade and a penetrating oil finish will as you mentioned develop plenty of patina.

Dave,
You didn't give me too much info!! You did give me some inside tips and exactly what I was looking for. It will be very interesting to find out what my local flooring contractor has to say. I'll keep you informed. BTW, I'm sure he's hit a couple pex tubes through the year too - that has got to be a disaster!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 8:07pm
Australian Cypress is a great product for flooring. The first house I built had t&g Cypress flooring it looked awesome with the exposed Oregon timber beams. It can split easy when nailing so it needs to be pre drilled especially when you butt join two planks over a floor joist.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 1:40am
Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

Every Caribu coffie has pine floors with exposed cut nails, a month after thay open they look to have been there for 100 years. Some people love the patina, for you I can recommend a good linolium guy!
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 1:46am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

When nailing it needs to be pre drilled especially when you butt join.
Thats sick!

The Austrailian cypress is a brittle wood, cleats work better than staples, I shim the plate on the stapler with a few pennys to increase the angle of the fasteners going through the wood, otherwise you just split the tongue off the board.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 1:53am
Pete,I am a little dissapointed to hear you are not installing this yourself, but then I sometimes forget that you are a lot smarter than I am. It is one of those jobs like roofing or laying sod, if you dont do it every day, you end up with sore muscles that you never even knew you had.
1987 Ski Nautique

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 5:31am

Being a contractor doing a job for Pete Brainard......THE JOB FROM HELL!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 10:09am
Dave,
I'll be busy with other work. I plan on doing both set of stairs and all the balusters also from the Red Pine. This will defiantly be from local RS so there's lots of time involved.

Adam,
I pick my contractors well so when I did the shop, I did not need to follow their every move! I really didn't have one complaint. Of course a good set of detailed plans helps too. The, there's no "I thought you wanted it this way" Also, I worked "hand in hand" with my general and subs when I installed the dust ducting and some minor millwork. I was apprehensive the first couple of hours since you really do not know how they would like the owner working with them. Some do not. My fears were totally unfounded. They even invited me to have breakfast with them several times.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 10:59am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

[QUOTE=bbishop1974] for you I can recommend a good linolium guy!

I've been out of the flooring business since 1988 but even back then it was called vinyl flooring. Do they even still make linolium, or are yo just not being politically correct? I do remember linolium, my father installed miles of it.

Pete, it's your cabin and if it calls for red pine, then red pine it is. You want to keep it original
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 1:06am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

[QUOTE=bbishop1974] for you I can recommend a good linolium guy!

I've been out of the flooring business since 1988 but even back then it was called vinyl flooring. Do they even still make linolium, or are yo just not being politically correct? I do remember linolium, my father installed miles of it.

Pete, it's your cabin and if it calls for red pine, then red pine it is. You want to keep it original

Kevin,
These wood floor guys are so out of it, it takes several years if not many, for them to catch up on the proper non wood flooring terms!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 1:27am
I believe linoleum is linseed oil based and was layered on top of asbestos in the old days, it is still around but has widely been replaced by vinyl. When I am being sarcastic linoleum sounds better, imagine a nasal tone and the vowels stretched out.

I would not mind working with Pete, the worst are the customers that have no clue and no involvement in the process, then they come in the end and complain about a few boards just to let you know they have some power because they are holding your final payment check. Pete would understand the project. I would expect to be grilled about the process, and that is a great opportunity to build credibility while setting expectations. After that is done I rarely have problems. Better yet is to let a particularly demanding customer work with me, laying out boards and making decisions. Like me, they might look back and say "I wish hadn't stuck that board in", but they rarely reject a final product that they are invested in.   
1987 Ski Nautique

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 2:50am

I would not mind working with Pete

Working with Pete would be an honor....working for Pete, maybe not so pleasant!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 3:07am
"For" was the original wording, on proof reading I changed it. Nice pick up on that. With somene with Petes likely expectations it has to be that way if you want to come out of it and still be in business. If I where in his market I would still take on the job, No one would fault me much if I failed and if I made him a happy customer (which I believe I could) I would have a solid gold reference!
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic