NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on this 85 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thats not right Dave,water boils at 212,and these are open systems.A closed system like your car has the coolant under pressure raising the boiling temp.It should run at what the thermostat is,160 is for fuel injection,140 for carb.
Get her home change all the fluids,pull the raw water pump change the impeller and go from there.An infrared thermometer like these are nice to trouble shoot with.

Gary...you're right. Don't know why I was thinking 240. I have had a bad case of cabin fever the past few weeks you know . Its been too long since I have had a run down the Fox .

Now that you have jogged my memory, I do remember my thermostat usually runs right at 160. It may go above that (170-180) after I stop and sit after a hard run, but usually doesn't stay there long.   

I usually replace my impeller every year, but, I didn't this year. I pulled the water pump out to work on it over the winter, and the impeller is pretty well beat up. I don't think it would go another season.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 12:50pm
Gary's right- Dave, you must be thinking of 140, not 240.

Anything above 200 and I shut the engine down for fear of damage.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 1:48pm
Tim - I would think that by 240F the engine would shut itself down, from pistons seizing!

They must have the wrong range sensor installed.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 2:10pm
Or perhaps more simply the engine did reach 220.
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 6:33pm
I doubt an engine would seize at 240 degrees. Automotive GM engines run at 210. I am planning on buy thing this boat next weekend. What fluids are there besides trans and motor? Does anyone have a how to manual about how to change oil/trans fluid?

Thanks everyone
2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 7:06pm
I use a Turkey Baster to pull the Trans Fluid from the Trans. There is not a drain on the trans as such. Use Dexron II Trans Fluid to refill. Mine takes 2/3's of a quart to fill.

To change the Oil, you must remove the plug in the bottom of the boat. Have the motor hot so the oil moves freely. My boat has a rubber hose that is about 24" long with a bolt and hose clamp used as a plug. This hose attached one end to the bottom of the oil pan. I then run the hose out of the bottom of the boat's plug hole into a bucket. Gravity will drain the oil out of the engine. Those without the hose are dropping the oil into the bilge and letting it go out of the plug hole. Also, you can use a pump to pump the oil out of the top of the engine.

When you order an impeler for the water pump, please use a OEM impeller. Parts can be ordered from My Correct Craft Parts.com, or Discount Inboard Marine ( AKA Skidim). Also, use lube with Zink for the flat tappet cam. I use Valvoline ZR1 Racing 20-50 Oil. Shell also makes a Rotella that will work. Do not use a Fram Oil Filter or you will get a hard time from this site. Just trust me on the Fram deal.

I hope this helps,

Donald   
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Do not use a Fram Oil Filter or you will get a hard time from this site. Just trust me on the Fram deal.

I know that Fram Filters get a bad rap on this site, but, what is wrong with them? Don't they have to make as good as filter as anybody else out there to compete in the marketplace? I have used them before with no issues, nor have I heard of engines blowing up when they use a Fram filter.

Is this urban legend or is there really something to it?
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 10:22pm
I have used the Fram extended guard on my truck and car and everything was fine.

I generally buy the Napa Gold filters because they are made by wix. Wix has a great reputation for making top notch filers.

I doubt it really matters.
2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 10:27pm
There was an internal memo posted on the net, from someone that worked at Fram, that said that as long as they don't leak externally, they are considered a good filter.

The filter paper on a Fram is not even glued at the seam, it is just folded over. They also use cardboard at the end of the media. Google 'Bob the oil guy' to read all about filters.

I recently cut apart a Motorcraft filter & thought it was well built internally.

Wix & NAPA are even better quality.

The price difference between a bad filter & a good one is only a couple bucks.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 10:39pm
I had a '67 Camaro, I used nothing but AC filters.

But now with a 351 and two 5.0 HO nothing but Motorcraft FL-1A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic