Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 525354
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 10:56am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

[QUOTE=john b]
If you bought the 17261 gasket set, that has valve cover gaskets for cast aluminum valve covers that stay straighter and these gaskets seal well with them.

Thank you.
I have the 17261 set so they are the wrong ones for my stamped metal covers. The set was ordered by the machine shop. I didn't give them the valve covers with the engine. I was curious why they didn't have the retainer tabs to hold them in position like those I'm accustomed to. Not looking for anything fancy, just want to avoid leaks and seepage.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I’m using the Neanderthal cable brackets on my 71. Simple and effective. .

Crude, but efficient. Why change them after all these years. They still work.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 11:33am
For the Fords, I really like the cork PCM valve cover gaskets from SkiDIM. They have metal inserts in the bolt holes that prevent over tightening.

Some spray adhesive (3m or similar) really helps with the install.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

[QUOTE=john b]
If you bought the 17261 gasket set, that has valve cover gaskets for cast aluminum valve covers that stay straighter and these gaskets seal well with them.

Thank you.
I have the 17261 set so they are the wrong ones for my stamped metal covers. The set was ordered by the machine shop. I didn't give them the valve covers with the engine. I was curious why they didn't have the retainer tabs to hold them in position like those I'm accustomed to. Not looking for anything fancy, just want to avoid leaks and seepage.

The ones you just bought cost a lot more ,..................so they must be better material and construction

You can tie the gasket to the valve cover with some skinny little fishing line (or steal some thread from your wife) tied through the holes to make installation easier without the tabs.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 1:35am
Another distraction followed me home.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 9:25am
What did Jan say?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 2:26pm
Jan is ok wth it PROVIDED it doesn't significantly impact the progress on the Mustang. Jan and my daughters think the Mustang is the coolest boat ever. They have been waiting years for it and I'm finally back on it. They don't want this to be a distraction, but they enjoy having a ski boat at the cottage.
This is my nephew's Supra. I had it up north for the summer of 2017. It had been in storage for about 10 years. He bought a new Mastercraft last week and knows I like the Supra. I have maintained it for him so he appointed me the guardian to keep it up north and enjoy The Supra was his 16th birthday present. He wants it to stay in the family. I hope my daughters and grandkids can make it up during the summer but it's not certain. My one daughter, her husband and my grandsons are Canadians now and the border is closed until at least July. The oldest is 6 and I want to start him skiing. He is a good athlete and did well when I took him snow skiing last year in Vancouver. The Alumitoon isn't the ideal water skiing platform.
I'm still making progress on the Mustang but it's slow, and with summer upon us I want to get up north and tha will stop the progress temporarily.
. We would love to have breakfast with you again sometime when we get up north. Stay well and keep that Atom safe..

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 4:28pm
That Supra will be much better for slalom than the Mustang. Mustang is much better suited for trick, kneeboarding, barefoot and tubing. Supra actually has a decent slalom wake, keep the bow up unless you want a bath.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 4:30pm
Tubing? Smh.

Sounds like someone’s never barefooted behind a mustang... or a supra.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 5:00pm

Tubing? Smh.

Just another amateur.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 5:08pm

Jan is ok wth it PROVIDED it doesn't significantly impact the progress on the Mustang.

Given the fact that this thread started on Dec 12, 2011, I am trying to picture what would be considered an impact to progress on the Mustang.   

I had an 89 Supra from 1996 to 2008. I really enjoyed it. When shopping, I was targeting a late 80s 2001, because, you know, Correct Craft. Couldnt find quite what I wanted at my price point, so opted on the Supra which was at a CC dealer in new york (Adirondack marine) Much better deal for condition than I was finding otherwise. I ended up really liking the Supra. Despite being set on the boxy no nonsense look of the 2001, and not in love with the swirly lines of the supra at first, it quickly grew on me. And after involvement with CCF and seeing a number of 2001's, I came to appreciate the supra was ahead of its time in styling and performance and, in my opinion, fit and finish were comparable to CC. Very good slalom boat in terms of wake, the only downside, which might have been able to be improved with propeller or fiddling with the plate, there was a bit of a rooster tail at 22 off. Not that that mattered a whole lot, as I was not a 22 off course skier, but when I wanted to dabble there, it was a factor.   Good choice.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

That Supra will be much better for slalom than the Mustang. Mustang is much better suited for trick, kneeboarding, barefoot and tubing. Supra actually has a decent slalom wake, keep the bow up unless you want a bath.

There's good reason the Supra has 2 bilge pumps as standasrd equipment.

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 7:26pm

Tubing? Smh.

Hey Tim I quit barefooting about 15 years ago. Never behind any boat only on the boom. As for the tubing I never pull tubers but others do, especially if they have kids. A waste of time in my opinion. My former neighbor footed long line behind a 89 Supra and had no complaints, he did tumble turns ok though.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tubing? Smh.

Just another amateur.

Hey Pete, I am an AWSA member and ski the course several times a week. Would you like to place a wager on who can ski the most buoys? I know you’re the tubing chMp but I don’t own one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Hey Pete, I am an AWSA member and ski the course several times a week. Would you like to place a wager on who can ski the most buoys? I know you’re the tubing chMp but I don’t own one.

David,
I'm not even going to try to out ski you. I gave it up years ago. Fantastic that you're still out there.

Hey, keep in mind you were the one who brought up that "T" word.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Jan is ok wth it PROVIDED it doesn't significantly impact the progress on the Mustang.

Given the fact that this thread started on Dec 12, 2011, I am trying to picture what would be considered an impact to progress on the Mustang.   

I had an 89 Supra from 1996 to 2008. I really enjoyed it. When shopping, I was targeting a late 80s 2001, because, you know, Correct Craft. Couldnt find quite what I wanted at my price point, so opted on the Supra which was at a CC dealer in new york (Adirondack marine) Much better deal for condition than I was finding otherwise. I ended up really liking the Supra. Despite being set on the boxy no nonsense look of the 2001, and not in love with the swirly lines of the supra at first, it quickly grew on me. And after involvement with CCF and seeing a number of 2001's, I came to appreciate the supra was ahead of its time in styling and performance and, in my opinion, fit and finish were comparable to CC. Very good slalom boat in terms of wake, the only downside, which might have been able to be improved with propeller or fiddling with the plate, there was a bit of a rooster tail at 22 off. Not that that mattered a whole lot, as I was not a 22 off course skier, but when I wanted to dabble there, it was a factor.   Good choice.

II am obviously on no schedule to finish the Mustang. It's a dream I have and this pandemic has afforded me some time to work on it. I'm just an old retired guy with far to many hobbies, interests, and projects keeping me busy and active while I enjoy family and friends.
I was not in the market for a ski boal, My nephew offered it to me to keep and enjoy.. He is very kind and knew my kids and grandkids would have nothing to ski behind. This boat has pulled me many times over the years. I have also pulled my nephew through the course many times with it. I'm a hack on skis and don't know much about wakes. I love the classic look of the 2001 and would have chosen one if I had been in the market for a bridge boat until I finish the Mustang. I can honestly say that with this in the mix the Mustang will prbably see less water sport service than I anticipated. Maybe that's a good thing. Time will tell if I ever finish the Mustang.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 11:26pm
John. Hope you don’t think I was picking on you. I wasn’t. I was just messin’ with you. There’s a difference
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2020 at 12:02am

John. Hope you don’t think I was picking on you. I wasn’t. I was just messin’ with you. There’s a difference

Def not. Just covering for my embarrassment at being close to my second decade of this epic project.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2020 at 12:21am
But you've been making alot of progress lately it seems. I think that's light at the end of the tunnel we are seeing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2020 at 8:58am

Def not. Just covering for my embarrassment at being close to my second decade of this epic project.

John
I consider myself in good company as my Chris Craft was a 17 year restoration. The schedule is yours (or perhaps the Mrs.). Keep at it and it will happen.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 12:04pm
I picked up two more sheets of 3/4 Coosa Board. Does that qualigy as progress?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 12:10pm

I picked up two more sheets of 3/4 Coosa Board. Does that qualigy as progress?

Clap Clap Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 5:13pm
Rome wasn't built in a day.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm on the one decade plan here.
It's hard to get started after most of the year off. Trying to pick up where I left off.Ispent last night unpacking and organizing my engine parts and fitting a few accessories. I have few distractions this winter..

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 3:13pm
The more and more I read these threads, the more I am convinced I need another garage!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 525354
  Share Topic