NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Billy made me.......

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Billy made me.......
    Posted: December-18-2011 at 7:09pm
..do it! The other day Billy called me with a problem with a sticking door he had on his house and needed to plane down the door edge. He had his late father's Stanley #5 hand plane and needed some tips on how it worked. Well, quite frankly, I needed to turn on the "way back" machine and do some thinking as well. We got it figured out and Billy no longer has a sticking door. In the mean time, it got me thinking that maybe I should check out my long forgotten and very lonely Stanley #5. Sure enough, it was still hanging on the wall where I hung it 26 years ago. Pulling it down, reviled plenty of rust. An hour later it was all cleaned up and oiled. It even still makes shavings out of solid wood!

The Stanley #5 was probably the best and well used hand plane out there. Yes, the good old days when it didn't come from Chiwaneze.

BTW, I have a hand power plane and the reason the Stanley has been hanging on the wall all these years! Oh, the amazing things electricity can do for us!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 8:10pm
I was going to say,how do you plug it in? But I guess it is one of those cordless models.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 9:01pm
Thats even better than a cordless,it's a "Green" model
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I was going to say,how do you plug it in? But I guess it is one of those cordless models.

Great one Dave!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 10:47pm
there is still nothing like the feel of catching that curl and the sound it makes
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 12:46pm
I used one of those many times with meaningless projects as a kid. Hopefully didn't bang it up too bad, I'm sure the old man was cringing.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

there is still nothing like the feel of catching that curl and the sound it makes

I'll second that. I dug mine out of the dust for the Hurricane project. Not that I have anything against power tools but sculpting with hand tools is an amazing feeling. There's a place for everything but sometimes you have to slow down and do it old school.

My forearms are burning this morning from using a long board for 8 hours saturday.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 1:25pm
I don't really see how anyone could properly fit a plank without a hand plane.
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I'll second that. I dug mine out of the dust for the Hurricane project. Not that I have anything against power tools but sculpting with hand tools is an amazing feeling. There's a place for everything but sometimes you have to slow down and do it old school.

My forearms are burning this morning from using a long board for 8 hours saturday.

I have to agree with you, some times the 'old' kit works best, I don't think that there is a better feeling than slowly with an old plane, add in not ear defenders etc.
I'm in the lucky situation of a full set of electric and a full set of manual. Some electric are always used and never the manual, some items it's the reverse.
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 1:30pm
I went to a vocational school for woodworking and my dad was a builder at the time. We had to learn how to sharpen tools so I practiced on my dads. After a while he started bringing home more and more tools and I learned that they were from his whole crew. LOL. They couldn't believe how nice they came out.   To this day Dad will bring that up any time we talk about the wood boat and I'm sure he will again this weekend when we visit.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 7:49pm
Sharpening, one more Artform.
The thing about is, a person has to like to do it.
I never did.
I worked with a guy who loved to sharpen pretty much anything that needed sharpening.

I've only recently within the last few years gained an interest in learning the art of hand filing a chainsaw chain.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 8:21pm
Glad to see my call to Pete sparked an interest in old and wood. I grew up in my Dad's wookworking shop, with little desire to learn or particapate in my fathers hobby,big time loss for me.Good side was I was gifted with all my Dads tools, and most have not been used in 20 years.
I call Pete to ask sometimes what a certain tool or gadget I found in Dads stuff and what do you use it for, great group of guys here..
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 8:35pm
Great post, I have my great grandfathers tool chest. He worked at building railrode cars. Some very cool old molding planes,large hand made planes. For anyone who wants to sharpen the book "Ultimate Edge" will send you down the right path.

Cya Bob
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I've only recently within the last few years gained an interest in learning the art of hand filing a chainsaw chain.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 3:01am
It's really cool to see the interest in old tools here, be it Pete's restored planer and jointer or hand tools. I too have a wooden carpenters box that was my Grandfathers. He was a machinist by trade but had this box of carpenter hand tools. I still will go to that box to find a tool I need at times. I have nearly a dozen hand planes that belonged to my other Grandfather. Most are Stanley planes similar to Pete's in various shapes and sizes. The wooden bodied planes are proudly displayed on my desk.

I have a friend who had a boat building/restoration business for several years here in the Finger Lakes. He had many tools that belonged to his Grandfather and Great Grandfather who were also boat builders. The coolest tools to work with were the 3 in 1 and the 5 in 1 that he had. Tablesaw, jointer, planer, bandsaw and sander all in 1 tool.

David
86 Martinique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 3:21am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

glad to see you on here Mike...been awhile since I seen ya here. Hope all is well...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 4:47pm
I have one sitting in a tool bin that was my grandfather's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic