Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

66 Skylark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 66 Skylark
    Posted: September-19-2005 at 12:46pm
I posted a picture of my family's 66 Skylark on planetnautique, but I think I'd have better luck here... (Planetnautique is a great site, but it is geared more toward owners of the newer boats...)

I've included a link to the plantnautique post...

My grandparents were the original owners. When they passed away they left it to my Uncle. My uncle just surprised me this summer and gave me the boat.

As I’m sure you can tell, this boat is in need of restoration. The usual cosmetic stuff – the gel coat is dull and faded, there are some scrapes on the bow from a bump on the retaining wall, The bottom of the hull suffers from 'crazing', the seats need to be redone, etc…

At the end of the season I’d like to start looking into refurbishing the boat.

My question is where to begin...?

I’ve been thinking I’d start with the hull and deck.
Then pull the motor and have that worked on. (Of course I’d pull the motor if the hull had to be inverted to be worked on.)
While the motor is being worked on I thought I’d double check the stringers. They seem fine, but it can’t hurt to double check.
Right now on a real choppy day you really feel the waves slap the hull. If it is possible, I’d love to line the inside of the hull with Novidamp (spelling?), the sound-deadening material CC uses on the new boats. I think it would make a big difference in ride.
I’m also leaning toward installing mufflers on this… (Though I would miss the roar when this thing takes off!)
This boat doesn’t have it, but I’d also like to find and install the bar that mounts to the stern to guide the tow rope over the stern light. (If I get that, maybe I’ll look for the stern light at the bottom of the lake too…)
Then I figured the interior would be the last thing to be done.
I’m hoping to embroider the old Correct Craft logo onto the backseat backrest.

Has anyone redone the hull on their boat? From reading posts I believe I have two options - redoing the gelcoat or painting the hull. I'm curious if anyone has done either on their boat, wheater you did it yourself or had someone do it, what kind of costs I'd be looking at...

I REALLY appreciate any advice...

Thanks!

66 Skylark
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2005 at 10:15pm
Thats a cool boat. I keep telling myself "anyone can go buy something new, but it takes a real man to try to keep some old school toy running" At least thats what I tell myself when Im about to give up on the thing and smash it all to pieces with a BFH. This goes for all my toys, not just the boat. LOL

Oh, and yes, this board is really slow with alot of lurkers. I felt pretty frustrated at first, but then again when you do get some feedback its generally good advice, so dont sweat it. If your boat runs good, leave it be until you get it cosmetically done. For gel-coat dings, gouges, etc. I have been using evercoat gel-paste, pretty good stuff, but in my haste I used some craft paint that the wife had to tint it (it comes clear) so it seems to take a LOOONG time to harden. I had the same bow keel worn out baloney, but after a weekend, I got it all filled in and sanded pretty smooth, but I am no perfectionist when it comes to body work. I dont have the patience for it, besides, we can always go back on a rainy day and sand, sand sand, as long as its watertite, Im going skiing!!!
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2005 at 11:21pm
Go ahead and post your boat in the diaries section of this site. We'd all like to see it there!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic