Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to Run your Boat out of Water, Bucket Method
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to Run your Boat out of Water, Bucket Method

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Run your Boat out of Water, Bucket Method
    Posted: February-01-2012 at 10:18pm
Bucket Method

Here is how it works. First, there is an intake hose that sucks water from the lake. If you disconnect it at the water filter, you can attach a garden hose to it. Second, you can put that garden hose into a bucket or an ice chest that is full of water. It now sucks up water from the bucket. Then your replenish that bucket that is full of water with a hose coming from your house.

Here are the parts you need to make it work:
Home Depot
048643071766: 1" x 3/4" Nylon Barb, $2.97
(Fitting on the Left)

Home Depot
046878533639: 3/4" x FHT Swivel PVC Fitting, $1.57
(Fitting on the Right)

Walmart
WaterWorks: 7 ft Leader Hose ~$5.00

Here is a picture of the parts

Here is a picture of the hose you disconnect from your water filter

Here is a picture of how much water should be coming out at idle

Somethings to note:
-Watch the water level in your bucket because you could potentially run the cooling system dry or over flow the bucket into your boat.

-Keep a close eye on engine temps

-You just saved a lot of money by visiting CCF.

I hope this is helpful. I know a write up like this would have been helpful to me when I first did it.

-00cls1camaross

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 12:22am
Thanks for contributing. Simple. But, a frequent question.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 2:08am
Nice write up.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 10:56am
Nice but I still like Tim's method better since you don't need to remove the hose every time you need to run it off the garden hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 9:10pm
+1 on Tim's design. Best $12 I have spent on the boat.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 11:36pm
Does this forum have stickies? There is a ton of good information on this site but it is hard to find stuff because it isn't organized well
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 12:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Nice but I still like Tim's method better since you don't need to remove the hose every time you need to run it off the garden hose.

on the other hand... There is something to be said for the bucket method since it will truly show how much water is being drawn up by the cooling system.

That being said, I installed a Flush-pro and later added a shut-off valve and a quick-connect fitting. It works great but I still can't really tell how much water is being sucked up.

+1 on 00cls1camaross (wish I knew his real name...) contribution to the site. It would be a good sticky. This is the kind of stuff that folks come to CCfan looking for when they are newbie inboard owners.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:31pm
I didn't want to put a T there with a back flow preventer because I thought it could potentially create a positive pressure on system that (I would imagine) generally runs at a negative pressure. The guys at Skidim advised me to not do the method you are talking about. I see the convenience of the system you all are talking about, but pulling those hose off takes all of 2 seconds and ensures the motor is only taking whatever water it needs, even when it is off.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 00cls1camaross 00cls1camaross wrote:

I didn't want to put a T there with a back flow preventer because I thought it could potentially create a positive pressure on system that (I would imagine) generally runs at a negative pressure. The guys at Skidim advised me to not do the method you are talking about. I see the convenience of the system you all are talking about, but pulling those hose off takes all of 2 seconds and ensures the motor is only taking whatever water it needs, even when it is off.

What method did Skidim say not to use?

Tim's simple T method does not pressurize the suction side of the RWP since it does not have any valving nor check valve.

People have had problems with the Flush Pro - they break!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 3:28pm
Petes right- no valve is needed to stop the water flow out the intake grate.

I will say that the bucket method is great if you need to troubleshoot the cooling system... no better way to do it. If you just need to run the motor on the hose though, I find that method to be very "clunky". Im more apt to stick the garden hose up the intake hose and tighten the hose clamp... but I guess I might be lazy! The tee is the quickest and most effective method that I can think of.

Nice writeup though!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 4:06pm
The only problem i see with the water hose method is there is a chance the pressure from the water supply would "mask" a borderline impeller .
While the bucket method is a possitive indicater of fluid flow thru the cooling sysmem, a little more trouble but, to me, well worth the added effort.   Boat dr
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 4:21pm
I run the engine out of the water mostly for other reasons than testing the RWP.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 9:44pm
Hope I'm not stepping on any toes........
I have been using the "Fake-A-Lake" method for four years now without a problem. All the methods mentioned seem to do the job, but I don't have to disconnect anything. I simply put a small board under the boat (because of gravel) and shove the "plunger" under the intake almost to the point to where it should collapse. I can jump in and out of the boat and it will stay there for me. Water exits the exhaust just as it should. As far as knowing if the impeller in the raw water pump is showing signs of wear, I remove it after I winterize the engine anyway. This way I can visually inspect it. My two cents worth.
Can't wait for spring, Wisconsin winters are toooo long.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 10:34pm
Egon.
You are not "stepping on any toes" I have a home made "fake-a-lake" made from a toilet plunger years ago. It still works fantastic. Yes, I too have a chuck of ply I lay down on the gravel drive too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

Can't wait for spring, Wisconsin winters are toooo long.

Just a couple more months and Laurel Lake will be open again Egon!
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic