Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Price Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price Questions
    Posted: March-18-2012 at 8:01pm
Hey guys, new to the forum but not the boating world. I've been looking into getting my own boat now for about a year, mainly open bow but couldn't seem to find one thats reasonably priced (in my are they are all 30-40k or a POS) Then i stumbled upon this.. http://slo.craigslist.org/boa/2897474318.html ...high hours, is it worth the price? Thanks.
Dws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 8:02pm
The link works if you copy and paste it, sorry about that
quik225 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quik225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 8:07pm
Dws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 8:16pm
Thank you!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 8:48pm
In general, a '99 Ski with GT-40 for under $10,000 would be a great deal, but that really is a ton of hours. If the engine has gone 3,500 hours without a rebuild then it's going to need one shortly. Having said that, is it close enough for you to take a look? Is there brackish water in ski locations around San Luis Obispo or would it have definitely run in all fresh?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:00pm
+1   price $8800-
+1   99 no wood / all composite construction
+1   Tower
-1   engine hours 3500 is up there
Is it exactly what you want?
Are you mechanically inclined? Can you do a compression test?(engine wear)                          
At least to do little things oil , plugs,
remove and replace little things?

It's a buyers market

Look around the web site (search) lots of tips on buying
a used Correct Craft. Maybe a CCFan near you.

This is a good place to ask questions.   Good luck !

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Dws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:04pm
It's close, well 45 minutes and with gas prices here in california thats a ways! No way it could have been run in anything but fresh, and between me and a few buddies we are pretty mechanically inclined, how much do you think the upholstery would run me? Thanks!
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Dws Dws wrote:

how much do you think the upholstery would run me? Thanks!

To get the whole boat done.$1200 If you find a good local guy, close to 3k for the exact replacement best from Kristine's

The GT-40 efi 310hp is considered one of the best ski boat engines of all time.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:15pm
That would be a good to great buy depending on hull condition if your are mechanically inclined. I also bought a boat from a Lake Tahoe Ski school with high engine hours. Most Ski Schools maintain the engine and trans very well as time off the water costs them money. They interiors are normally beat up with all that extra use. Worth having a look at and checking out the hull and gel condition.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:24pm
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are worried about the gas cost to go look at a boat you'll drop 8 grand on, wait until you start running the boat! Not that these boats are pigs on gas, but any ski boat with a V8 is going to chomp down some serious amounts of fuel.

You know, if you can see it and run it, and the interior can get you through a few seasons, I'd go for it. It's a great ski boat for the money.
Dws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:26pm
Thanks a lot guys, like I said I was looking for ore of a sport style, but around here they are few and far between for a reasonable price, and this boat sounds well cared for.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:03am
Don't know if it sounds well cared for. Look closely at the pic from the front, the observer seat looks shredded. Looks like a younger guy owned it and probably beat on it pretty good. Over 3k hours??? Whoa, that has to be one of the most I've seen on here.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:16am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Don't know if it sounds well cared for. Look closely at the pic from the front, the observer seat looks shredded. Looks like a younger guy owned it and probably beat on it pretty good. Over 3k hours??? Whoa, that has to be one of the most I've seen on here.

Agreed, but of course the seat is coming apart with those kind of hours on it. I think it's pretty hard for anyone to put those kind of hours on a boat and not have seams separating.

The owner writes in the ad "Please Please Please Make me an offer. I am asking $8000 but I will consider less if I have to. So let me know what you think it's worth."

So, it's listed at $8,000, I'd show up with $6,500 in my pocket and see what happens. Certainly they will take $7,000 with an ad like that. For that money you can put an interior in plus an engine refresh and have an under $12,000 '99 Ski with GT-40, or just run it as is for a few years.

I don't know, I realize finding a lower hours well cared for Ski for $14,000 or so might be an easier path, but it comes down to what someone can afford to spend on their boat.
Dws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 4:25am
The gas was just a little joke, but ya I'm hoping to get up there this week and see how it actually looks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:33pm
Ha, based on those pictures, I would say that boat was anything but "well cared for". But the price somewhat reflects that, so thats ok.

Andy is right that the original skins will run close to $3k on that boat. Add another $1k for install... maybe more. I disagree that you would be able to replace the entire thing locally for $1200. That may be the case in NC, but it sure isnt true here in the northeast (it'd run at least double that). I bet it would cost even more in CA!

So figure $3500-4000 for the interior alone. That means you'll have $11.5-12k in the boat just to get it looking decent. You still have a boat with 3500 hrs on it, and all the mechanical wear associated with that much use.

Ive noticed that relatively new used boats, especially closed bows, dont command much money in CA. I think you can do better unless you can grab this one for <$5k. Just MHO!

Also consider the use- a TSC (97+) Ski Nautique will NOT throw a very good boarding wake, even with a lot of extra ballast. Very round, undefined wake... which is why its such a great slalom boat. If thats what youre looking to do, then Id look at other models. Sport Nautiques, 2001's, or even NWZ SN's will be better boarding boats. Dont be tempted on this one just because of the pricetag!
Dws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:13pm
I'm thinking about with his ad, just telling him that I'm not looking to spend that kind of money for a boat that will obviously need some work, however if he has to lower the price because of the move to give me a call.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 12:18pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] Ha, based on those pictures, I would say that boat was anything but "well cared for". But the price somewhat reflects that, so thats ok. <$5k. Just MHO!

Poster child for the acronym "BOAT" Bust out another Thousand!
Unless you can steal this boat I would stay away and run as far as you can.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 1:24pm
Jody, this has you written all over it. Frankenboat with your caddy engine stuffed into it.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 2:25pm
That's a steal.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Jody, this has you written all over it. Frankenboat with your caddy engine stuffed into it.

Caddy Motor Went out west and is going back into a big MC v-drive. Sticking with PCM stuff, from now on LS and BBC Motors and dabble in SBC. Indmar stuff for re-power just is tough to make work in boats not designed for them.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 2:39pm
Hmmm, guys that know a lot more than me are saying stay away, you probably ought to listen to them, not me ......

First, to Tim's point, I don't think you mentioned what you plan to do with the boat. Do you ski, wakeboard? I look at it that you'd be getting into a really great ski boat at a low price, but if you wakeboard this probably isn't the boat for you regardless of price.

Jody, you say he should stay away unless he can steal it. Would you consider $6,500 a steal? I think I would, depending on just how beat up it is in person.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see what the seller tells you when you call or go take a look.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic