NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vr1 oil on sale FYI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vr1 oil on sale FYI
    Posted: April-05-2012 at 11:55am
Sucks you missed that...but thanks for the heads up Hollywood!

Just ordered 32 qts. to hit the $100
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 11:43am
Thanks for the tip! I bought 2 cases at the local store. It ends up being cheaper than the cheapest regular price oil on the shelf with this deal!

On another note, I saw this: Synthetic VR1

Waste of money or legitmately better oil? My money is on waste of money for ski boat applications. Anyone? Bueller?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 11:34am
Well *************** I just ordred 2 cases for ~$85 and then see the link on top for a $15 gift card on all orders shipped to home over $100...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 4:06am
I thought when I looked today it said the sale was good until May 30th?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 2:20am
Bought more today and even though the sale is supposed to be over it still rang up at the register $2 off.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 12:46am
Awesome, just ordered up my summer supply on Autozone.com. Free shipping...Thanks for the heads up guys!
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 12:24am
Dang. I just bought a case of VR1 straight 40 for $75! Is the 20w 50 better?
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:54am
Hehe well glad I can start to contribute after my slew of newbie questions I've asked lately.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

Its on sale until May 31.

You can go on AutoZone.com and put in VALRAC20W50, click on the "accessories" and it will come up.

$75 or more and you get free shipping to your house.

Tim

Good call Tim! It shows $5.29/qt until you click on the "save now" link. Good deal right there, Im going to stock up.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 6:09am
Its on sale until May 31.

You can go on AutoZone.com and put in VALRAC20W50, click on the "accessories" and it will come up.

$75 or more and you get free shipping to your house.

Tim
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 4:17pm
Thanks, sometimes. It takes a couple times before I get it. Sorry!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

but it is a roller rocker engine.

John, just so its clear, it doesnt matter if you have roller rockers or not. The concern is that none of our older engines had roller cams (or lifters). Thats the wear point that we're concerned about.

M1 is a great oil, but only the heavy weight has the ZDDP we need (15w50 has 1300/1400 ppm of zinc/phos, if I remember correctly).

TIM, I don't understand your reply. I was just saying that unlike the old Ford Ws my old 89 OHC has roller rockers that run directly on the cam

Ahh, OHC being the key detail there.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 3:21pm
John, I didnt realize the other motor in question was an OHC.

I wanted it to be clear to anyone reading this thread, that one could not add roller rockers to the OHV engine in their older boat, and alleviate any concerns due to lack of ZDDP in their oil. The rockers are not the issue... it is the contact patch between the cam and lifters that is of concern. A flat tappet cam and lifter set needs the extra stickiness that the heavy metals provide, in order to keep that contact patch lubricated. A newer engine (or one that has been retrofitted $$$) with a roller cam and lifters does not have the same concern.

For those who arent familiar with how an OHV engine is put together, its easy to confuse roller rockers with roller lifters.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

John, just so its clear, it doesnt matter if you have roller rockers or not. The concern is that none of our older engines had roller cams (or lifters). Thats the wear point that we're concerned about.

M1 is a great oil, but only the heavy weight has the ZDDP we need (15w50 has 1300/1400 ppm of zinc/phos, if I remember correctly).

TIM, I don't understand your reply. I was just saying that unlike the old Ford Ws my old 89 OHC has roller rockers that run directly on the cam, so I don't believe ZDDP has much if any benefit on that engine. That is why I use Mobil 1 10W30 in it. Due to the extreme heat of running a turbocharger at 24 pounds of boost I believe the synthetic is much better for the engine, especially the center section bearing and seals. Running that much boost and heat there is always some oil consumption, and I run a big honking cat converter on it to burn off some of the HCs it beaches due to the big overlap cam. I don't want to damage it as it is expensive. I use M1 in my other cars mainly for the cold start ups. What am I missing?

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:40pm
Called another Autozone. Still on sale. Wife's picking up the last case.
I think I'll keep her around a while longer.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:25pm
Just called my local Autozone. Sale ended yesterday. Damn!
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Slupe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:25pm
Maybe this is just personal preference, but I picked up some Shell Rotella 30W based on another post.   Is that a good choice too or should I be getting some VR1.   I am planning on changing the oil in a PCM 351 this weekend.   Thx.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:04pm

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 11:59am
Pete, I have been using Redline 20W50 in my Willys. It reportedly has 1600 PPM ZDDP and they can get away with it since it doesn't have an API rating. It is pricey at about $12+ a quart though. That VR1 sounds like a real deal at around $3.00. I am glad this thread came up. I didn't give much thought to the issue as it applied to the Ford W motor in the Mustang. I use Mobil 1 in all of my "modern" cars including a modified 1989 2.2 turbo running 24 pounds of boost, but it is a roller rocker engine. Maybe it isn't right for the Mustang. I have no idea what the po ran in it, but it had a Fram filter on it so I don't hold out much hope for his choice of oil. The good news is it hasn't been ruined yet. For something as seemingly simple as an old boat, there sure is a lot to learn.
Thanks much for the input.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 11:54am
John, youre correct- nothing special about the H-M when it comes to oil. The reason for this thread is that the VR1 20w50 is largely considered the "go-to" oil for all of us flat tappet guys. Ive run it in everything I own... though if I see Mobil1 15w50 in Walmart, I buy out the stock and use that instead. Both are good choices due to their high ZDDP content.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 9:02am
John,
The VR1 is labled as "off road".

I run the 20-50 in my 302, the 312 Y block and my old flat head 4. Yes, the ZDDP is needed on all flat tapet engines. I've seen what happens when someone runs a "modern" oil on old flat heads. Cams for old Hercules engines are a tough find!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 4:32am
I am a little surprised they sell it at the box auto parts stores at all. The ZDDP can damage cat converters and it appears it is not legal by EPA regs for use in cars with cat converters, since it has more than 1000 ppm. of ZDDP. That is probably why they discontinued it at most stores. Not a problem for most boats, racing applications, and antiques.
I am curious as to what oil you guys run in the old Ford W 260/289/302s out there, both brand and weight.
I wouldn't think it would make any difference if it is a H/M or not, even though it is 10.5:1 and a little bigger bumpstick. Maybe the VR1 is a good choice since it still has ZDDP. I believe my Mercruiser used 10W30, but it only ran at 140*. I don't know what temp the old Fords run in these boats.
Help me out, please.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 1:02pm
Same thing from 2010

All the AutoZones around me sold off their 20W-50 VR1 two summers ago. I accumulated over 50 quarts, they don't stock it anymore but you can probably order a case. They do have the straight weights on the shelves still.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:15am
If you get a case, just make sure the clerk scans the UPC code off the cardboard box and not the quart container!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 1:14am
Thanks John!!
83Ski
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 1:04am
Tell them that Pete sent ya!

Great price, better stock up. I doubt if it will ever be any cheaper.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
reftech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reftech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 12:38am
thats cheap! guess i need to visit auto zone tomorrow!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 12:36am
Auto zone has 20w50 VR1 oil $2 off a quart. Gets it down to bout 3 bucks each
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic