Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing
    Posted: November-01-2005 at 11:59am
I agree with the stabil in the gas always, but I made the mistake one year of filling to the very top and when my tank contracted from the cold weather/warm weather the gas started to come out the overfill vent in my garage causing quite a stinky mess.... ugg.....

I think leaving either water in your block (non freezing climates such as warm cali) or antifreeze mix in your block is good for over the winter months. The "corrosion protection" item i think its better to have the block in a fluid then dry as a bone.

I fog the carb for about a minute on and off.. then I pump as much as I can in until it chokes itself out.

I take each spark plug out and fog each cylinder, then I turn it over once to make sure the fogging oil is lined through the cylinder. This keeps the piston from seizing or any chance of it against the wall.

Of course, change the oil, filter and tranny.

1. run the boat to get it warm and the oil will come out better
2. change the oil, filter and tranny
3. run the boat to get everything flowing through
4. stabile in the gas tank
5. fog the carb down the throat
6. fog the cylinders pulling each plug
7. if you are in cold climates of course, drain your block and antifreeze it.

In the spring, dump some a can of carb cleaner in the tank or after one tank has gone through
change your points, plugs if needed. Fogging oil can sometimes crap out your plugs or have them fire odd in the spring. I like to change them after that first burn off.

hope this helps!   And boys.... play nice in the forums. I know we are all not ASE wrench heads.
79nautque View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 1:21pm
That's simular to what I do but I do worry about the engine block corrosion so that's why I pull the t-stat and fill the block only with RV/antifreeze, which I'm using the purple stuff (med) from west marine this year. They sell three different grades (temp ratings) pink, purple and blue I think is what I recall. I don't believe running the engine for a short period of time gets the oil hot enough to drain thoroughly so I do that ahead of time after a good long run.
JoelH View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2005 at 5:45pm
Guys, forget the antifreeze. It is a total waste of time and leaves the process wide open for error. Drain the block and manis. Empty the strainer. Pull the lower hose off the RW pump. If your trans cooler is on an angle like mine, that should drain everything. If not, drain the cooler as well. Put the plugs in a baggie and be done with it. Throw a new impeller in as well as fuel filter in the spring. The only argument for AF I've seen is "corrosion protection" and that doesn't justify it for me.
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 9:00pm
I normally throw in fuel stab in the fuel tank when I go out for the last run of the season. After the sets, I fill the tank almost full of fuel ( full enough for condensation consideration but not completely full to compensate for full expansion) and more fuel stabil. Then I am sure the carb has treated fuel. Once home, I'll pull the oil drain plug and engine drain plugs. Then I can come back later and finish the things that don't require starting the engine.

Noone mentioned it yet but don't overlook the trailer. I normally try to pull the wheels, check the brakes and bearings. Also flush the brakes lines with new brake fluid in case water has gotten in. (my atwood system has a bad design flaw and water has gotten in the master cylinder before) Frozen water in the block is bad, but so is an accident due to a neglected trailer while on the way to the lake.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 3:05pm
Well back to the pouring 50/50 mix into the motor. I take two gallons of antifreeze and let the raw pump suck it out of a bucket. The thermostat is out and the warm up/oil change already done and stabil in gas tank. I catch this mixture in two large buckets at the exhausts. I recycle this a couple of times. I then check the mixture (antifreeze and the water that was in the block) to see what the freezing point is. I also pour some antifreeze in the hose leading back to the trans coooler and blow air into it until I hear it come out the pick-up screen.
Tim D
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 12:09pm
I suggest pulling the T-stat housing and pouring water in. I did it this way when I first bought my boat without any trouble. And like stated earlier, the engine doesn't really get hot enough to experience any damage that would normally result from dumping cold water into an overheated engine. I no longer do this part of the procedure because I installed a heat exchanger and converted to a closed cooling system. I just left this out because I know the majority of the people reading this don't have closed cooling systems. If pouring water into a warm engine is a concern for anyone, you can always wait a while until the engine cools and then pour in your mix of anti-freeze/water.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 11:13am
DavidF.
When I layup for the winter in November I run the boat on the lake to warm it up. The water temp is down in the 50's, so the engine never gets that warm to begin with. The oil certainly gets good a hot, but the block doesn't get nearly as hot as in the summer when I'm running hard in 85 degree plus water temps. This is just my method that works for me, because I don't have time to dilly dally pulling plugs because of our busy flight schedule. I do the entire boat in 90 minutes, park it in my garage and cover it until spring. (I'll stop here DavidF) It's a pretty stupid way of doing things huh 79nautique? That's why I came to this board, so I can hear suggestions. But instead all I hear day after day is some knucklehead who's out in left field slamming people, and I'm a little sick of my posts getting slammed all the time by some know it all with an ASE cert, who got it from some company on the internet for $19.99 + shipping after taking a multiple question test that has all the answers in a 10 page pamphlet that they give you to study. I like reading posts that get slammed all the time. I think it's pretty funny when you post some idiotic information, and make some claim to your vast depth of knowledge. And don't forget, I remember you slamming my jetting posts way back when. You think I'm some stupid kid. Let me tell you jack@ss I'm through with your slamming people. Ya, I'm mad. I'm waiting for your next post dumbass.

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 10:31am
The only thing to be worried about is introducing cold/cool water to a warm and now EMPTY block. When the engine starts cold, the termostate is closed until the engine warms the water already in the block. Then, the cold/cool water is mixed with warm water to maintain engine temperatures. If you drain the block of the warm water and the thermostat is open, then the cold/cool water from the bucket hits the warm block all at onces and will impart a bit of thermal shock. Again, I doubt it would be enough to cause damage, but I THINK this is where 79N... is coming from.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2005 at 5:45pm
Thanks David F!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2005 at 5:11pm
Not sure, but I doubt an engine that runs at 160 degrees is suseptible to damaging thermal shock from a bucket of water (I might be a bit worried if I had a Chevy engine with 2.02 heads, but that is another story). But, it would seem that draining the block first is an unnecessary step as the "anti-freeze" mix from the bucket will displace/replace the water (only) from the block.
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2005 at 11:20pm
It takes me about 20 minutes to winterrize mine and I remove all of the sparkplugs and reinstall them as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2005 at 4:00pm
I think he meant you better pull that plug too!

I don't go through that monkey motion of filling the block with antifreeze through the thermostat, thats too much work.

I modified my boat. I cut the fresh water inlet line about 12" from the strainer (between the strainer and water pump) and installed a pvc nipple with 2 stainless steel clamps. I also puchased 3 additional feet of water hose that fits onto the nipple.

What I do is run the boat in the water, get it good and warmed up, and then put it on the trailer. Drain all the water through the drain plugs, then reinstall the plugs. I mix up a 5 gallon bucket of antifreeze and set it in the boat. I Seperate the hose at the nipple and attach the 3 foot section to the engine side of the rubber hose, and stick it into the bucket of antifreeze. I remove the flame arrestor and have 2 cans (yes 2 cans!!!!) of fogging oil standing by. I start the engine and stand clear of the belts. The engine is warm and immediately sucks the antifreeze into the block and exhaust. As the engine is sucking the antifreeze down I grab the 2 cans of fogging oil. When the bucket is 1/2 empty I start spraying both cans into the carburator. As the bucket gets empty I turn the key off.
Reinstall the flame arrestor with a plastic bag over the carburator after spraying with wd-40.
reconnect the water inlet hose at the nipple, removing the 3' section, store for next years use.
Drain oil, change filter, service with fresh oil.
remove battery. Done
For my boat, I need 2 cans of fogging oil because 1 just doesn't cut it. When they are both sprayed at the same time it's just enough so that the engine just barely runs, but not too much to liquid lock the cylinders. I've been using this method for about 10 yrs with no problems. Takes me about 90 minutes from start to finish.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 2:38pm
The transmission cooler can have water in it also.
Tim D
Corey View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 1:30pm
Thanks alot. This will help tremendously.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 2:40am
Click on the Reference link of this website and scroll down to the section containing Engine/Transmission manuals. Open the "PCM Engine Manual for all Ford and Chevys (1989)". Go to page 43 "Lay Up Instructions". This is a good guide but here's what I do:

1) Fill fuel tank with fresh fuel and add appropriate amount of Sta-bil for the size of your tank.
2) Run engine until it reaches operating temp w/fake-a-lake or whatever you use to run your engine out of the water. This is to warm the engine oil to allow it to drain easily as well as flush the engine block.
3) Drain old oil and change oil and filter.
4) Run engine again allowing oil to circulate all throughout engine for about 10 mins or so. Then, using a can of engine fogging oil, fog the engine. Directions to do this are on the can.
5) Locate all water drain plugs and remove them. They are located in the engine block (2 - 1 on each side just above the top of the oil pan. There's also one in the trans oil cooler. Also remove the plugs on the rear side of each exhaust manifold. Check the manual for any more that I might have missed.
6) Remove the rubber impeller from the raw water pump. Spray w/silicon spray lube and place in the zip-lock bag for storage.
7) Replace all drain plugs.
8) Remove thermostat housing from intake manifold and fill block with 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze/water. Replace housing.
9) Remove the cooling hoses the go to each exhaust manifold. Remove only the end that attaches to the thermostat housing. Fill the exhaust manifolds with same mixture of anti-freeze and water.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 1:04pm
DO A SEARCH!!! There are tons of posts with this info already.
Corey Moody View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 12:00pm
I just purchased a 1995 Ski Nautique and was wondering how hard it is to winterize it and change the oil. I change the oil and do light maintenance on my cars, but i'm not sure about my boat. She has a PCM V8 with about 448hrs. The previous owner replaced belts, hoses alternator, water pump etc. at 390hrs. I live near Raleigh, NC. Any tips would be helpful.
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic