Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 SN engine temp?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
theath846 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theath846 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 SN engine temp?
    Posted: May-03-2012 at 4:12pm
took dads old 79 Sn out for the first time in 20yrs. Has a 351 PCM engine (rebuilt about 3 years ago). It ran like a dream but the temperture gauge was a bit concerning. Once it got warm, the temp stayed between 180-200 and would rise a little above 200 when pulling. The impeller looks great, and engine behaves the same when when hooked directly to the water hose. My temp gauge ranges from 150-220 so this just seemed a little hot to me. Does any one know what temp. is common or reccommended in these engines????
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 4:44pm
That sounds a little hot. Mine never goes over 180.
Are you sure the water strainer is clear and is on tightly? You may need a new seal back there if it is sucking air it could cause things to be a little hot.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 4:52pm
The cost of the IR thermometers has gone down to the point where they really are cheap. Get one or borrow one so you can "shoot" different parts of the block. This will really confirm the actual temp making sure it's not a gauge issue. It will also tell you if the T stat is opening by shooting the temp before and after the stat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic