NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lift winch help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lift winch help
    Posted: May-07-2012 at 4:44pm
I need a little help from the engineering folks out there. Actually, I just need you to tell me if I am right or wrong with my thinking.

I need to buy a new electric winch for the lift. The specs on my current winch say it is rated at 3000 lb dead weight vertical lift. My boat is about 3500ish lbs loaded. I have a cantilever style lift that routes the line down from the winch, to a pulley on the front corner of the cradle to a pulley on the other side, and then back up to the other front leg of the lift. By my calculation, that means there is a mechanical advantage of 2. The two moveable pulleys, because they are traveling in the same direction, function as if they were one pulley. So with this set up, my winch rated at 3000 lbs dead lift, would be theoretically capable of 6000 lbs. Does that all sound right?

The reason I ask is because the current old winch struggles to raise the boat. I want to make sure if I replace with the same unit, new, it should preform better. Also, I have the opportunity to switch to a 110v AC unit rated at 2700 lbs. It is GFI protected, and I could eliminate the battery, solar panel charger (do not have one yet), etc and I could add canopy lights, etc, but with the lighter rating, wanted to make sure it would be able to lift the load.

Let me know if I am way off or missing something.

Thanks guys.
Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 4:52pm
What is the lift itself rated for? Some are limited by the winch, others the cable, others the frame. It will vary by manufacturer.

A pulley itself will not multiply force- it can only redirect it. When used in a system that acts like a gear reduction (ie, you crank the primary cable a further distance than the secondary cable moves, which moves the boat up and down), you can generate more force. These systems are a little more complex, and are easier to crank... and it does not sound like your lift has one of these.

Edit: I missed that some of the pulleys move... which would in fact give you a mechanical advantage.

That makes it even more important to understand what the limiting factor is on your load rating... if the lift is rated for 3k lbs but the winch is capable of 6,000 lbs, then that may not be the weakest link.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 4:59pm
Adam,
Your thinking is correct. A cable down and then back up cuts the load on the winch in half. Same principle as a block and tackle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What is the lift itself rated for? Some are limited by the winch, others the cable, others the frame. It will vary by manufacturer.

The lift itself is rated for 4000 lbs, so I am safe there, even if my estimate for boat weight is a little off with my gear.
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 5:14pm
Can anyone point out any disadvantages of going to the AC unit, besides the obvious electricity and water deal? GFI should protect us there (it is working, I tested it when we moved in). I am thinking it would be really nice to eliminate that battery...one less thing to think about maintaining. I already have power down by the dock, and it is only 60 ft out to the lift. I can just zip tie the cord to the underside of the dock.
Boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Can anyone point out any disadvantages of going to the AC unit.

You'll need to calculate the voltage drop using the full load amps of the winch and the total wire length from the breaker panel. There are on line sites that have the calculator- just fill in the blamks and it will tell you what you'll get for voltage at the winch. A typical induction motor doesn't like anything past + or - 10% however the winch may have a universal motor on it. If it has brushes, then it's a AC/DC universal (just like a corded power tool). They can handle more voltage drop - they just run slower.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 5:35pm
Adam,
I forgot, you'll also need to know the wire size in the run from the panel to the winch too.

The only other thing I can think of that's bad with an AC system is if you by chance get caught out on the lake during a power outage. When I electrified my winch, I maintained the hand wheel just in case!

voltage drop calculator

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 7:31pm
Decided to replace my old winch with this unit. Sales guy said it only draws 2.7 amps and it can raise, up to 4000 lbs, 4ft in 1 minute. Has a 2 year 100% satisfaction guarantee and you can add a wireless remote if we want in the future (not really needed, but it is kinda cool). A little more pricey that a direct replacement of what I got, but the 2 year warranty and the performance claims sold it for me.

http://www.boatliftaccessories.com/winch.html
Boats:
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 8:48pm
FWIW- I have a 24volt winch which requires two batteries. I have a solar panel to charge them. I use the boat at least one or two times per day (unless raining) and go full up on each session. The batteries last the season without having to charge them. Other that lifting them up and down twice a season to install and remove before storage they are always at the ready. Boat goes up to full lift height in less than one minute.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 12:03am
Curious how much they want for it? Does the motor work as fast on 12v?
Not a big fan of removing the wheel, or can you keep it on?
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 9:36am
My lhe lift has a big screw jack that does the lifting. Quick, quiet, but the motor mounts differently than a conventional model and may not fit. The lift is made by Floe.

Floe
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Curious how much they want for it? Does the motor work as fast on 12v?
Not a big fan of removing the wheel, or can you keep it on?

I paid $795 direct from the manufacturer. He said they retail for $1295 from dealers, but who knows. I have seen similar units going for around that price (with remotes...no remotes included at this price).

The claim is the same for AC or DC drive...4000 lbs 4 ft in 1 minute. I can get back to you on that sometime next week after I install mine.

I also was a little worried about AC and loss of power. There is a back up, manual, way to raise or lower with a socket wrench I was told.
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

FWIW- I have a 24volt winch which requires two batteries. I have a solar panel to charge them. I use the boat at least one or two times per day (unless raining) and go full up on each session. The batteries last the season without having to charge them. Other that lifting them up and down twice a season to install and remove before storage they are always at the ready. Boat goes up to full lift height in less than one minute.

Floe is a nice lift. A little pricey for me though. My decision to switch to AC was because of a couple reasons.
1. My current battery is shot for the lift - $100
2. I do not have a solar panel to keep it charged - $150ish with stand, etc
3. I can add canopy lights
4. I have power near the dock already

All that added up and the manufacturers 2 year satisfaction guarantee and performance claim (same for his DC unit) pointed me to his AC unit.
Boats:
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 1:23pm
My dockis too far my house to use AC, The solar charger keeps both batteries charged. I can have a light and a remote too. Just offering the info for those that don't want or can't have AC powered lift. Yes the Floe is expensive, I bought mine used and the screw jack leveling legs and other features were a big plus. I especially the way the canopy fastens to the lift and how quiet it is.

I have had or sold Shoremaster, Nyman, and Harbormaster lifts. I have had straight up and cantilever models. Manual, DC and water powered. I have no connection with Floe, just like the features better.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

The claim is the same for AC or DC drive...4000 lbs 4 ft in 1 minute. I can get back to you on that sometime next week after I install mine.

Then it should take abour 2 minutes to raise the boat/lift.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kenowja View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenowja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 3:09pm
what could you do if you want to upgrade a lift without a Electric winch, you know, the hand crank style... its getting annoying having to crank up the boat every time i take it out. can i get a winch that would just bolt on or what?
Jake
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 3:17pm
Look at the site posted above...they produce a winch that can replace your manual winch for just about any lift. Give them a call. Mike was great to work with.

Mine arrived Monday, btw, and I hope to install tonight. I will post my results.
Boats:
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 4:45pm
What kind of lift do you have Jake? Besides what Adam just bought Shorestation offers an Electric motor that works with the wheel in AC or DC.

Adam, really curious to see how this one works out, do you need to remove the wheel to install it?

Have another Shorestation that has a Hewitt motor on it and no wheel, only been using it for a week and I already hate it other then it is quite. Prefer having the wheel w/motor, lowering manually takes only a few seconds, your not totally dependent on power and you can assist the motor going up to speed things up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by kenowja kenowja wrote:

what could you do if you want to upgrade a lift without a Electric winch, you know, the hand crank style... its getting annoying having to crank up the boat every time i take it out. can i get a winch that would just bolt on or what?

Jake,
I'm confused here with your question. Without going electric, it will still require the manual effort to crank it up. About the only thing you can do to reduce the effort is to double the winch ratio but that will also double the time it takes to raise the boat. I'd say you would still be burning up roughly the same amount of calories!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kenowja View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenowja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 1:36pm
no what i mean is the lift dosnt have a electric winch... i was wondering what one that i could use for it
Jake
kenowja View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenowja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 1:37pm
i have a shore station, dont know what model, but it has the wheel
Jake
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by kenowja kenowja wrote:

i have a shore station, dont know what model, but it has the wheel

Give your Shore Station dealer a call and see what they have to offer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kenowja View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenowja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 2:37pm
ok thanks, well i hope to get something pretty soon
Jake
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 5:22pm

Have had good luck with this type, shorepower is faster but battery power works fine.

More Info here:

Link to SS Info
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Adam, really curious to see how this one works out, do you need to remove the wheel to install it?

No wheel on mine. I have a DC winch on there now that is burned out. Was going to install yesterday, but got held up at the tire shop. Tonight is not looking good either as the wife signed us up for dinner at the neighbors. Tomorrow is my first "flex friday" of the season, so I should get to it then.
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2012 at 8:14pm
I got the new AC winch installed yesterday. So far it is great. Took about 45 minutes to remove the old winch and install the new one. Most of the time was removing the old one and getting the cable out of it. A very unscientific count in my head took less than 40 seconds to raise the lift all the way up. Very quiet and no struggle. Looks to be well made. So far so good...
Boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic