NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decent Air Pressure Regulator for Compressor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decent Air Pressure Regulator for Compressor
    Posted: May-07-2012 at 6:51pm
Some of you may recall my air compressor post a while back which I posted while shopping for an air compressor for the garage. I ended up with a nice twin cylinder, belt driven, oiled unit (30 gal) made by CH. Well, not too long after I got it the air pressure regulator crapped out on it, leaking continuously. I replaced it with a much better built regulator from Amazon.com shortly thereafter. The only problem is that this regulator doesn't seem to "replenish" air fast enough for my air tools. My tools will start for a second at full power and quickly die down to about 3/4-power as the regulator tries to refill the line from the tank. Very, very annoying. I know it's not the compressor- it can and has handled these air loads easily (1/2 inch impact, etc.) and this is all "tank" load- the pump is not having to kick on during these shortages and tank pressure is solid.

Might be a longshot but does anyone know of a decent regulator I could use that's reasonably priced? I believe I have 1/4" NPT fittings on the compressor output side.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 7:18pm
I would buy from mcmaster, they have good quality components.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 7:45pm
Hmm, never ordered from there before but I've heard so much! I just placed an order for this High Flow Regulator

#4959K21

Thanks!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Might be a longshot but does anyone know of a decent regulator I could use that's reasonably priced? I believe I have 1/4" NPT fittings on the compressor output side.

I think the 1/4 is your problem Joel,it's like breathing thru a straw.Don't know what you could do with that unless it has a reducer in it that you could take out. Mine has a 3/4" outlet and from that I ran 3/4" pipe the length of the garage and 1/2" drops off of that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 11:01pm
Joel,
When you got the new regulator, did you look at the CFM rating and match that to your needs? You can get a general idea by pipe size but go by the CFM.

From what you describe, the pressure may be creeping up due to a low quality regulator. Look at your pressure gauge on the load side. Set the desired pressure and then see if the pressure increases by itself. This may be causing "My tools will start for a second at full power and quickly die down to about 3/4-power"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:05pm
I don't think the 1/4 inch pipe is the problem- the feed from the tank is even smaller than that and you've gotta figure the regulator internals have smaller corridors as well, otherwise there wouldn't be much regulation going on at all! It's a super short run of pipe too, and coming off the regulator I'm using 3/8 hose.

Clearly the first regulator I bought was the wrong kind and/or crappy quality. Hoping the one from McMaster is far better as it seems to have quite a high CFM rating.

Here's the best part- Shipping is next day From McMaster! Yet another reason to love Chicago!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:31pm
I like to run the heavy air tools unregulated, then plug in an inline regulator only when i need it.

Yes, i concur
The 1/4 pipe on the 3/8 hose is not the major restriction there.

I had good sucess enlarging the compressor outlet to 3/8 pipe then stepped up to all 3/8 quick disconnects instead of 1/4", the flow they maintain is like you are running the tool right off the tank.

You can get 3/8 QD's that have 1/4" npt ins and outs, and these maintain great flow, for instancs two 50" hoses together with three QD's have virtually no drop under high cfm.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:10pm
The McMaster regulator worked wonders. It's like my air tools are super-powered now. Of course, in draining my tank to do the swap my old drain valve bit the dust, but I took the opportunity to swap it with a street elbow, 6" nipple, and ball valve. So, top and bottom makeover for the compressor!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic