NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First oil change ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 1:12pm
You may end up needing this:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK024056C
Just be careful with the threads on the oil pan itself.

When I look at mine, someone before me must have had a helluva time at some point, whatever they did to it, I've got only two good flats left on one of the nuts, and it winds up taking a 16mm and a 9/16ths to get it off.

If you arrange the two wrenches, so that they are close enough together, that you can just squeeze them together with your hands, it makes it a lot easier. If you arrange them all spread out so that you're doing some kind of weirdo chest exercise, your headed for trouble.

The only trick I can give now is get a friend (or a vice) to secure one of the wrenches firmly against a bench of table and you use the other one. Or, you may put a socket in a vice, and use that for one of the nuts.
CCWalds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCWalds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 2:11pm
Thanks for the extra hints, hopefully I will not need to get the extra tube, but good reference for if I do. I think ill try vicing it today. I was definately doing the weird chest exercise yesterday. It was quite the show, almost gave my self a black eye when the wrench slipped.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 2:22pm
One more thing:
Flare Nut Wrenches are good to have when you're working with brass. They're commonly used on fuel lines and fittings, such as around the carb.

Not normally needed for the oil drain, but they'll give you that extra grip, and keep the brass nuts from deforming.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 3:48pm
I've always used boxed end wrenches to loosen the plug. I did have to put the wrenches on and gently step on the whole assembly using the floor as back up to break it loose once one year. Musta put the Gorilla torque on it the previous year when I was working out
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
CCWalds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCWalds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:14pm
well- The vice ended up working great, now I have the assembly hand tight for the end of the season when I change the oil again. However the tube is not as snug as I would have liked over the male piece, so I am just going to go get one of those sinch clamps that are at the end of every tube in the engine. Hopefully that solves the problem.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:24pm
Cool, that worked.

Yup, I have a small radiator hose clamp on mine as well, for added security. The only thing is, I have to take the clamp off before it will fit through the hull drain plug hole.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:26pm
yes make sure it is clampled well, if that comes off and you lose your oil while running that will be all she wrote for your engine. Its a cheap part protecting an expensive one.
CCWalds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCWalds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 2:33pm
welp... The radiator clamp worked very well on the hose, however I am having the hardest time getting the stupid oil filter off. Honestly if feels like it was tightened by Hurcules... Any one else have this problem and how am I suppose to get the stupid thing off.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 2:50pm
Yup, common problem with the filters. They sort of tighten over time oddly enough. You need to get yourself an oil filter pliers. The strap kind works good. Your local sears, or auto parts store should have it. Don't go too far without getting the proper tool. Or, you'll wind up just making things worse.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 2:52pm
They make a couple variations, so get one of the bigger ones, because this is a big filter.

Another option is the filter "socket" that you put on the end of a ratchet. These are ok, but you have to have the exact right size, and the won't work at all once the filter has been deformed in any way.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 2:58pm
Use the clamp near the end of the filter where it is stonger. If you use it in the middle it might collapse, or so I have heard .
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

CCWalds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCWalds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 3:11pm
Thanks for showing me those pliers, I was about to grab my budy's giant pipe wrench and just rip on the filter with it. Probably would have ended up being a distaster. I'll pick up the filter wrench today. Thanks everyone. Hopefully this will be the last hic-up until the oil change is completely done... I feel like it took forever
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 3:41pm
The first time for anything always takes more time than you think.
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 7:56am
I did my first service a few months back and hit all the same issues as you, definitely get the tools for the job as they turn a real pain of a job into a simple task, pretty sure my next service will take half the time of the first one now that I've done it once and have everything I need.
selwoc2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote selwoc2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 12:59am
I have an equally simple question, I have a Air Nautique SV211 and I am changing the engine oil. I found the Quick Drain Kit but I don't know how to position the drain hose out the drain plug in the bottom of the hull. I don't know if the hose is too short or am i suppose to run it under the engine. I can't see to place it and I don't want to lose the hose and not be able hang it where it is stored.
Can someone help?
Thanks
Ted
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:23am
Mine runs under the engine. The hose is about 4-5 feet long and I just run it through the hole where the plug goes and then zip tie the end to a container to catch the oil. It takes a lot longer then one would think. It also helps if you buy the new oil in a large 5 quart container and keep the empty container for the old oil next time.
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
selwoc2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote selwoc2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 4:04pm
Thanks, so you run the oil drain hose under the engine to the hull drain hole which is under the tranny? Where is the drain hose attached to the engine? at the stern, mid engine or forward? Knowing this might help me decide how to place the hose and how to get it back to store.
Thanks again.
Ted
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 4:15pm
One thing to mention, on the filters:

Above, I mentioned using an oil filter pliers to remove the old filter.

It is not necessary to use the pliers when installing the new filter. Just get it good and snug by hand.

They don't tend to work themselves loose. If anything, they seem to get tighter. Not sure why.
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 6:00pm

This is what mine looks like. The arrow is where it connects to the motor and you can see the hose in the back ground under the engine. My hull drain is right under the motor you cant miss it but I am not sure where yours is, look under the boat while on a trailer you should be able to see it.
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 4:49pm
Hey all!

I have been running the M1 20W50 for a few season and my oil pressure has always been on the high side. During maintenance startup just prior to hitting the lake, I noticed that the pressure gauge was right around 80 but holding steady. Looks like i need to move to VR1 for the ZDDP.

I have a 89' SN with the original low pressure pump.

SHould I be concerned? Is it the oil that is raising the pressure readings or do i have another issue I should consider?

running pressures over last few seasons has been around 60-70

Can anyone comment on the fram ultra-synthetic filter?    
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 4:56pm
The easy answer on the filter is just don't ever use a Fram filter. They may have some higher end filters that are OK, but they have enough marginal filters that just staying away from the brand is the best path. There are many other better options.

If, after no changes on the engine, you run the same oil you've always run and get 15-20 psi higher oil pressure readings, I'd suspect the gauge first. Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and install it on the engine, it will give you an accurate reading to compare your dash gauge to. I doubt you have any issues running M1 20W50 oil.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 4:57pm
Hey all!

I have been running the M1 20W50 for a few season and my oil pressure has always been on the high side. During maintenance startup just prior to hitting the lake, I noticed that the pressure gauge was right around 80 but holding steady. Looks like i need to move to VR1 for the ZDDP.

SHould I be concerned? Is it the oil that is raising the pressure readings or do i have another issue I should consider?

running pressures over last few seasons has been around 60-70

Can anyone comment on the fram ultra-synthetic filter?    
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 5:18pm
Thanks. I will take a look. Any comment on what standard oil pressure would be running the 20W50?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Russman Russman wrote:

Hey all!

. Looks like i need to move to VR1 for the ZDDP.

The 15w50 M1 has plenty of ZDDP in it for your old engine and you must mean low volume standard oil pump not low pressure.

You could check your pressure with a good well dampened mechanical gauge tee'd in where the oil pressure sending unit is. If you don't use one that has good dampening, the needle will be fluctuating over a wide range and give you some fairly useless readings

So are you just now getting to worrying about high pressure readings after a few seasons of 60 to 70 psi?

A lot of people would kill for those numbers.

Must be thinking of a thinner lighter weight VR1 or something?
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 5:36pm
Mobil1 15W-50 has the ZDDP.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Mobil1 15W-50 has the ZDDP.

For Russman, me and desertskier are both figuring you mean M1 15w50 since the 20w50 is sold as a motorcycle oil
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You could check your pressure with a good well dampened mechanical gauge tee'd in where the oil pressure sending unit is. If you don't use one that has good dampening, the needle will be fluctuating over a wide range and give you some fairly useless readings

I thought all automotive type oil pressure gauges were dampened. I must have just been lucky on the ones I've bought, have read reasonably steady.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 6:15pm
If you get an automotive mechanical gauge the dampening is good, but if you rummage around and take that cheap 100 psi gauge off your air compressor tee it in and try to use it to check oil pressure, you'll get quite a fluctuation
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you get an automotive mechanical gauge the dampening is good, but if you rummage around and take that cheap 100 psi gauge off your air compressor tee it in and try to use it to check oil pressure, you'll get quite a fluctuation

The other problem with that method is it leaves a loud leak in the compressor!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic