Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '78 Ski Tique - Needs a little electrical help!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'78 Ski Tique - Needs a little electrical help!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SangerV237 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SangerV237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '78 Ski Tique - Needs a little electrical help!
    Posted: July-11-2012 at 4:12am
I think we know what the problem is...we just don't know how to fix it.

On the back of the key's ignition I have wire from the battery (batt), and one for the starter (ST). But, I have not idea where the wire from the ignition (IGN) connects to? We can't get power to the switch to keep the boat running. The starter will turn it over, but it dies once we stop cranking.

Thanks for your help!
Just joining the club!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 8:42am
It goes to the ballast resistor dropping the voltage going to the coil. Are you getting volts out of the I terminal at the ignition swith with it in the run position? Are you testing with a volt meter?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 10:46am
Your symptom can be caused by a bad ballast resistor. Try bypassing it temporarily (just need to move wire to other side) & see if the problem goes away. If it is indeed bad, get a new one.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 11:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It goes to the ballast resistor dropping the voltage going to the coil. Are you getting volts out of the I terminal at the ignition swith with it in the run position? Are you testing with a volt meter?

In other words, the keyed ignition is the magical switch that takes the 12v battery power (B terminal on the switch) and connects it to your ignition system (I terminal on the switch), allowing the boat to run.

The 12v on the ignition terminal doesnt "come from" anywhere else but within the key switch. Take the switch off and make sure the I and B terminals are continuous when the key is in the run/on position. If not, replace the switch.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 1:32pm
It sounds like SangerV237's ignition switch is only showing 2 connection points?!

It should have 3.

I wonder if the I screw worked it's way loose and the wire shifted out of sight?
SangerV237 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SangerV237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 3:08am
Got it fixed! Thanks for the help.

BTW: Took it for the first ski...WOW, it RIPS. What a great pull.
Just joining the club!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 9:06am
Originally posted by SangerV237 SangerV237 wrote:

Got it fixed! Thanks for the help.

What did you find was the problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic