Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical Issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Issues
    Posted: July-25-2012 at 4:26pm
I was hoping for some advice on the steps I should take to troubleshoot some electrical issues I've been having lately. The symptoms are minor but they are bothering me. And, I don't have any experience using the new multimeter I bought so I would appreciate some elementary guidance.

1997 Ski Nautique, 5.8 carbed.
New:
Mallory Electronic Distributor and Coil (Discount Inboard Marine)
Marine Alternator
rebuilt starter
Marine Starter relay
Ignition switch

Symptoms:
Low voltage at the dash volt meter (never over 10V)
Hot to the touch Alternator (but no burning electrical smell)
95% of the time the boat fires and starts with barely a click of the key. When it doesn't I turn the key all the way right and it cranks without firing like it's not getting any spark.
The tach recently started getting jumpy and at idle and, when I know it's closer to 800, it reads 1000 rpm.

I'm not sure if these are related or being affected by separate issues but the motor runs flawlessly otherwise. After running the boat for a few hours, I tested the battery voltage with the engine off and it read 13.17V

Where should I start? Thanks in advance.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 7:21pm
Not sure about the alternator.

For the dash, you most likely just need to add a new positive and a new ground from the engine to the dash.

On the ground side, you can tie all your grounds to a common bus.

For the positive, you have to use a stack connector to go to the incoming side of your dash ignition breaker (if you have that) otherwise your key.

The more connections that you can clean up, the better. Replacing runs of wire that look undersized or shoddy is even better.

When I added the new positive going into my ignition breaker, that finally solved by low voltage gauge reading.
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 12:58pm
Thanks Brian.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 1:51pm
One down; I tested the battery with the key off an it showed 12.9V. Started the engine and took it to 2000RPM and it read 15.72V. I got the same reading at the alternator. It appears a bad alternator right out of the box.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 4:10pm
So, was it pretty much all related to the alternator?
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 4:54pm
I doubt this would have any affect on the starting issue.    Once I get the alternator replaced, I'll check to see if the ground is causing a low voltage reading on the dash meter.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

pr0mjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pr0mjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 9:56am
it doesn't sound like an alternator problem with > 14 volts while running. consider other options first.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Jones Jones wrote:

You're chasing a bad ground. Sounds like the alternator is fine.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Don't rule out the hot feed to the dash ether! Both could be bad.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 11:13am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Don't rule out the hot feed to the dash ether! Both could be bad.

Yessir!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SN2001fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 1:36pm
could try a new harness too!

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1155
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by SN2001fan SN2001fan wrote:

could try a new harness too!

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1155

Why? You suggest just throwing wiring in without testing? do you have a VOM?

BTW, here's a correct link for the convenience of all

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 3:27pm
I doubted the bad alternator so I had it tested and it was fine. After some research I discovered the PO never had the sense terminal wired. Ive never had an alternator with an onboard VR so I didn't know what to look for. Every things fine now with 14.24v while running and it's no longer running hot but my dash volt meter is still only showing 10v. I'll double check ground and + but it might be a bad gauge. The tack is no longer jumping. I wonder if the over voltage could have had an effect on this.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 3:57pm

I'll double check ground and + but it might be a bad gauge. The tack is no longer jumping. I wonder if the over voltage could have had an effect on this.

I doubt your voltage problem had an effect on the tach. keep in mind the tach simply gets' pulses from the point set opening and closing.

Get the VOM out and check the volts under the dash. There are so many threads on undersized wiring and bad connections it confirms a common problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 6:41pm
Thanks, Pete. I'll start going through. I assume if I get less than 12v with the key on/engine off on any gauge, I've got a problem? I'd appreciate letting me know what to look for on the volt meter
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:14pm
Brad, if you run a new positive from your motor, from the protected side of the breaker, you should see some improvement on that dash voltage gauge.

There's really a lot of places to lose voltage before it gets to the gauge. It goes into the dash breaker, then over to the key, then through the purple (ignition switched positive) to the gauge. If you look at the (likely shoddy) wire ends as it junctions at all those different spots, you'll see how easy it is to lose voltage.

gjsullivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjsullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 1:02am
Start checking for bad ground, bad connections an bad power.   
I went though the entire harness on my 90 sport.
Check your voltage from the battery through each connection to see where the voltage drop is. disconnect wires past where you are checking so you see voltage from the battery to that point.

Check all terminal connectors, repair or replace any that need it.
Put dialectric compound on every connection to prevent corrosion.

I had a bad ground connector in the wiring harness block, had to cut it out rewire it, soldered it, and molded it back in.

I wired a new +12 wire to the ignition terminal at the dash
cleaned up all the connectors
Ran a new ground wire from the engine block to a bus bar under the dash. and then had 6 different grounds from different areas wired to the bus bar.
With all this my running voltage came up from about 10.5 to 13 volts.
My gauges now read correctly.
67 Mustang, 90 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic