Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Pump fail

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Pump fail
    Posted: August-04-2012 at 12:49am

Fuel pump started clacking on the way back from family day on the rez yesterday... we were about a mile from the launch when she gave up... towed again... I went to several parts places and ended up with a puny-lookin’ pump. Anyone know where to get the correct pump for a ’73 ford 351? Can/should I use this one until I find the right one? Boat-time runnin' short.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 1:22am
Call Karen at 'My Correct Parts'. They will have the correct pump - it must be a marine unit for safety.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 7:16am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

it must be a marine unit for safety.

Paul,
I'd like to second Chris's comment and say it again that it must be marine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 10:08pm
Thanks. I ordered one from mycorrectcraftparts this morning...not surprising but I saved almost $100 over Smith Marine - only local marine parts place around Jackson, MS. They're proud of their stuff.
Just have to wait 'til it's shipped. Wanted to hit the water today and tomorrow and pondered using the $15 auto pump until I got the new one.
Decided to wait.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 11:45pm
Gold Star for you!

There is plenty of summer left.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 5:53am
Originally posted by 73SN 73SN wrote:

pondered using the $15 auto pump until I got the new one.
Decided to wait.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:17pm
The new fuel pump got here today.
I'm a bit concerned about the return?/vent?/whatever?-line outta the top-side. The old pump had it capped with a screw and a hose clamp. Where is it supposed to go and is it safe?/smart?/whatever? to do the same with the new pump?

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:06am
I think that line is supposted to be routed to the Arestor so that if fuel pump failure occurs, it floods out the motor. Make sure the tube you use is for fuel.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:10am

I'm a bit concerned about the return?/vent?/whatever?-line outta the top-side. The old pump had it capped with a screw and a hose clamp. Where is it supposed to go and is it safe?/smart?/whatever? to do the same with the new pump?

That is the site tube port, it should have clear tubing attached and routed back to the flame arrestor.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:10am
That is the difference between a auto pump and a marine one. That vent gets a clear hose on it and connects to the flame arrester.Does you flame arrester have a small hose fitting on it? If you ever see fuel in that hose it means that the pump is leaking and needs to be replaced. You need to hook that up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:32am
my arrestor doesn't have anything to connect a hose to, sure its why it was plugged before. 7 years that way.
I'll handle it. Wish I'd've not worried about the car pump now.
Safety be damned. We gotta play.

cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:37am
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:44am
Thanks Jeff.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:00am
Don't do nothing yet- I'll go get a picture of mine,I had to make a port for mine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:52am
My flame arrester is all brass so I used the same to
make my connection. I went to a hobby shop and got some
brass sheet and 1/4" tube.I cut out the brass,drilled
the hole to the od of the tube. I then bent the sheet
stock into a U shape to match the thickness of the
arrester and silver soldered the tube to the U. My
arrester top was glued to the screen but came apart
easily and snaps back together with no problems.
Here are some pictures to see how I did it.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 2:28am

Thanks Jeff.

No problem, but Gary's way is MUCH cheaper and does the job just as well I believe.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 2:33am
Gary...Man! I like it. Simple, I can make that tomorrow, thanks.
No hole in mesh wall of arrestor tho, right? guessing it just sits flat against.
smart
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 3:21am
Yea no hole but looking back there would be no reason why you could not drill a hole in the mesh and maybe extend the tube. I guess I was thinking that if it was running and the pump diaphram leaked the vacumme would draw the overflow in anyway. I have never seen one that already had a tube so I don't know how they are made. It's not so much that I can be cheap,I just like the look of the old ones
here are a couple of pictures,the first one is my original pump
after I rebuilt it. I added a vent fitting after looking over
a new marine pump,which is the last picture.I was always told
a marine pump had 2 diaphrams and the vent. But other than
the vent,my old pump has the same internals as the new one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 3:24am

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic