NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ZR6 adding Supercharger

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lvnspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lvnspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZR6 adding Supercharger
    Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:35pm
I have a 2003 ZR6 PCM motor. Isnt that the same as the 6.0 GM motors that come in the trucks like a H2 or 2500 pickup? If so, couldnt I take the superchager for one of these trucks and put it on my zr6? Are the PCM/ECus the same or simluar? might take a little fab work but that no big deal to me. I wonder if a prop could be made to hold the addition 100 HP. I know Mercury has tons of SC motors in boats so why not a ski boat? They seem to start to make power/boost around 1700- 1800 RPMs. Has anyone ever done this? I know some of the truck kits come with air to air Intercoolers but no big deal there I know of some awesome water to air intercoolers.
2003 226LE
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:48pm
There is a super charged engine option available now from CC. I know they offer it on the G23 and G25, not sure about the ski boats. I believe it is 550 HP. I don't think the prop is going to be your problem.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Lvnspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lvnspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:53pm
Yes I saw that but there is nothing wrong with my zr6 motor it only has 150 hours on it. Plus I know of a complete SC system that I could get for little money but it from a truck not a boat. Thanks I figured the prop would be the easyest thing.
2003 226LE
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 2:17pm
Rumor out there is the 550 will be available in the 200's for 2013.

Speed, what feedback has PCM given you on this??
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 3:05pm
To put in a 226, why bother?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 3:19pm
You're biggest issue will be that you can't reprogram the computer. This issue has been discused and attempted, but that's where it ended last time on PN.

The XS 550 has the cool factor, but it's more than a $20000 upgrade and I haven't seen any numbers that suggest it will have a positive effect on fuel usage like the BBC Python's. I guess we'll find out as more boats get out and people get a better idea about what should be expected.
Lvnspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lvnspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 5:11pm
Yep ECU seems to the road block.
2003 226LE
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 7:46pm
go to vortec forms for this and they will hook you up instantly. it all depends on the motor combination. such as what type of ls heads they used and what ls motor it is. there is so much to know about chevy motors its not even funny. but there are many choices for superchargers out there. and many of the name brand one come with tuners to tune the engine. plus tuning the computer is not a big deal. just take it to a shop or get a tuner.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Lvnspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lvnspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 7:58pm
89 the rumor is that PCM has some how locked down the ECU so you cant use a regular tuner on it.
2003 226LE
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 8:20pm
Probably the easiest way to get around the ecu issue is to just run an aftermarket ecu, ie megasquirt. Most car guys do this anyways just for the sake of tunability. From what I've heard trying to reprogram the stock PCM box is a lost cause, but being an ex-programmer I can tell you there is no such thing as a locked ecu, however this doesn't mean it isn't a holy royal pita to do. I very fondly recall the days GM used to solder in their chips just to be bastards and when Mazda changed their hex coding so you couldn't match values. That, however, isn't your only problem. For starters you're going to need bigger injectors, I'd also be willing to bet the stock fuel pump will be at the very edge of its volume/pressure limits for the increased airflow. Next on your list is going to be the internals. While I'm not positive on the Chevys in question, most compensate for the increase in pressures by either forging the internals and/or changing the compression ratios. The final hurdle is going to be how you plan on cooling the SC and the charged air. You can run it without an air cooler, but you'll lose around 30% of the hp to thermal temps, while increasing your chance of detonation 10 fold, meaning you'd need to retard timing losing even more hp.   

What I'm tryin to point out here is while its always possible, its a lot more than simply slapping it on the intake and fabbing it to fit. I'm not sure its really worth it when all is said and done. Even if you got the SC for free I'd wager you spend another $3K easy to do it properly and reliably. That being said I always applaud and support unique modifications, especially when they involved an increase in gas consumption.
1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 8:21pm
*cough*megasquirt*cough*
Lvnspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lvnspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2012 at 8:29pm
Well the zr6 is the same motor as the 6.0 turck motor for the most part. It can handle why more power than I will throw at it with a 5-8 lbs SC. The intercooler can be over come with a water to air IC no big deal there. ANd your right on the injecotrs again no big there either. the Stand a lone ECU is an option I am looking into now. Yea the Stock PCM ECU is a lost cause from what i have been told too.
2003 226LE
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 2:57am
the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and 6.2 are all the exact same block. they make them in aluminum and iron blocks. the difference is bore, stroke, and heads. they are used on suv's, trucks, cars, sports cars, vans, etc. they are very easy to modify motors. but when you want to supercharge them it can get tricky in applications where tuning is limited. you can pick a complete SC kit (every thing you possibly need) easily for less than $6K. But since PCM messed with the ECU you are best off grabbing an ecu from the wrecker yard for the same gen motor(there are 4 gens) and taking it to a tuning shop and it will be purring like a kitten.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 11:20am
Why are you messing with it ? Is the boat not preforming well?
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Why are you messing with it ? Is the boat not preforming well?

Come on! Thats like asking Tim why he put dual exhaust tips on his SN...because it is freakin bad a$$.

I hope you can get it done and I can get a ride one day!
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Lvnspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lvnspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 5:28pm
I hope so too. It looks like its 50/50 right now.
2003 226LE
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 6:08pm
So the artwork in using a non-pcm computer is not trival. Primarily because they haven't usually used a fully closed loop control setup. Under some running conditions... i would be guessing hard accelleration and/or WOT if I was wanting to talk out my arse they are running open loop (with the probable exception of faults) and are relying on mapped values determined by testing (trail and error for you or me). So rather than just changing variables and being able to trust the sensors to keep the thing running fat dumb and happy and then watching for codes, detonation, lean running etc... you would be doing a lot of trial and error mapping. Or you could try and work out getting a fully closed loop feedback system up and running... but again talking out my arse.. I don't think pcm was ever able to work that out pre cantanium and be fully happy with the product.

That being said I do believe that the new 550 does indeed run a fully closed control loop... if you got its computer, exhaust, wiring harness, injectors, and sensors.. .you might get a passable product.

There are a few ways this could be done and pretty darn well.. certainly better than a non computer controlled carbed application would ever work... but I would want to be spending someone elses money, and they should realize it might take an engine or two to get it right.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 10:02pm
If you were in SoCal, there are plenty of people who could make that work for what would probably be a large chunk of money. Hot Rod boats and motors are fairly common out there.   Unfortunately you're very far away from them. The simplest thing may be to find a mercury powered inboard and use one of their bolt on kits so all the tuning has already been done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic