Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1964 Interceptor engine parts?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GBarker123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 Interceptor engine parts?
    Posted: August-26-2012 at 3:55pm
Anyone-

I have a 1964 American Skier I've been restoring (replacing stringers, re-wiring, etc.). Last time I ran the engine 2 years ago, I noticed that the starter sometimes didn't engage the flywheel, so I recently removed the starter to see what I could see. I found a pretty good-sized pile of metal filings in the bell housing below where the starter fits, and it looks like the teeth on both the ring gear and the starter are pretty worn down, like the starter gear was too tight against the ring gear. I also notice that the thin metal "gasket" between the bell housing and the block looks like maybe it's not the original because it doesn't have a third "ear" where the third bolt hole in the bell housing is, and it feels like someone tried to grind the inside of the 4-inch hole into which the starter fits maybe to try to position it farther away from the ring gear.

I also noticed that there is oil al over the ring gear, so I'm thinking the rear main seal may need to be replaced.

Here's my question: how should I go about looking for the parts I'll need? The engine has "INTERCEPTOR" stamped on it, and there is a number stamped on the front of the engine (SN I think): GT1R421821 . On the top is stamped "1001250-1" .

Any thoughts?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 4:50pm
Is the starter the original Eaton? Maybe a PO tried to retrofit another starter? The starter can be rebuilt by an "auto electric" shop. Your local auto supply should be able to get the ring gear.

The rear main is a rope seal. The auto supply should be able to help you with it as well. If you want, www.yblocksforever has a seal conversion kit.

Greg,
Where are the pictures we asked for way back when you were looking for the wheel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 5:06pm
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have much to take a picture of since the boat is fully taken apart right now in my garage.

How can I figure out what parts to ask for? All I have are the numbers stamped on the engine. Won't I need some more information if I go to NAPA and start asking for a ring gear? Also, it looks to me like the metal "gasket" between the bell housing and the block is not the original, since it doesn't have the "ear" for the third bolt-hole. I could show you a photo if I knew how to do that in this forum. What is that "gasket" called? It seems like that's what is supposed to position the starter, and using the wrong one may have caused the damage to the gears.

-Greg

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 5:53pm
Greg,
Napa should be able to ID it simply from it being a ring gear off a Y block. The number of teeth and the ID (OD of flywheel) may help.

That "gasket" I believe is simply the backing to the bell housing. You say it locates the starter? I don't have my Interceptor Y block manual as it's at my second home so I can't look at the pictures! Do you have one? If not, marineengine.com has them.

Is the starter the original Eaton?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 7:19pm
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] .

That "gasket" I believe is simply the backing to the bell housing. You say it locates the starter?

QUOTE]

I think this part,on a Windsor, is called an engine plate. I would think it might be the same name on a Y.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 7:42pm
I've never done this before, but I think I've uploaded 5 images. Let me know if you're able to view them. I have two starters; the one that was installed when I bought the boat, and one that was in a box that came with the boat. I have no idea whether either is an Eaton.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 9:07pm
Greg,
I don't think ether of those starters is correct. They sure don't look like the one on my 312. That's probably why someone's been messing with that plate. It even looks like someone has taken a file to the pilot on the face of the first starter.

Get the manual, look on Ebay and take a trip to your local auto electric shop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic