Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 Ski Nautique 2001 Oil Change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
taz man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taz man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 Ski Nautique 2001 Oil Change
    Posted: September-08-2012 at 9:45pm
Just picked up this boat with a 351 W with 180 hours would like to change the oil,filter and the tranny fluid but not sure whats the best for it.
86 Ski Nautique
hansenindustries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansenindustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2012 at 10:26pm
any quality Dextron III ATF for the tranny. Motor should run SAE 30 but depending on your climate you may want to go with a thicker oil.
1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2012 at 11:17pm
For your engine oil use Valvoline VR1 20W50 and a good filter which means NO Fram! Your engine needs the ZDDP in VR1 oil.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2012 at 8:34am
Originally posted by cphase cphase wrote:

For your engine oil use Valvoline VR1 20W50 and a good filter which means NO Fram! Your engine needs the ZDDP in VR1 oil.

I absolutely agree. The ZDDP is important for the flat tappet engine. The straight 30 oil is fine for your lawn mower but take advantage of the modern technology of multi viscosity oils. I run the 20W50 in all my boats - even the Hercules in the 54!! Many of my fellow ACBS members with old engines have gone muti viscosity but, again, the importance of the ZDDP is key. Whan the new oils came out without it, there were several with destroyed cam shafts. I've seen several where the lobes were almost gone!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic