NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Michigan Ballot Proposals 2012

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michigan Ballot Proposals 2012
    Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:15pm
Not sure about other states, but it seems collective bargaining is a big issue this November. Here are the six issues coming up for us in MI and my .02 on each. Note: No offense to those in unions. I know we have a bunch here that are.

Prop 1 - A REFERENDUM ON PUBLIC ACT 4 OF 2011 – THE EMERGENCY MANAGER LAW
   Basically gives state the power to run local governments when they fail (Detroit). Not really much new here, seems logical.

Prop 2 - A PROPOSAL TO AMEND THE STATE CONSTITUTION REGARDING COLLECTIVE BARGAINING
    Lots of tricky wording in this one, but basically overturns some recent laws limiting collective bargaining. Admittedly, I am not from a union family or company, so I don't understand the mentality, but in my job, I have no grantees. If I do poorly, I will get fired and that is the way I think it should be. IMO, unions are outdated. Something that was necessary years ago, but not anymore and are more about money and power than anything.

Prop 3 - A PROPOSAL TO AMEND THE STATE CONSTITUTION TO ESTABLISH A STANDARD FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY
    Says that 25% of energy (electricity mostly I think) comes from renewable sources by 2025. It also states that energy prices can not go up by more than 1%/yr to cover cost of renewable infrastructure. It also requires the state enact laws to use Michigan companies to build the infrastructure. Seems like a decent plan. I will pay the 1%.

Prop 4 - A PROPOSAL TO AMEND THE STATE CONSTITUTION TO ESTABLISH THE MICHIGAN QUALITY HOME CARE COUNCIL AND PROVIDE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING
FOR IN-HOME CARE WORKERS
     Pretty mush the same as Prop 2...

Prop 5 - A PROPOSAL TO AMEND THE STATE CONSTITUTION TO LIMIT THE ENACTMENT OF NEW TAXES BY STATE GOVERNMENT
     This prop requires a super majority to raise any taxes in MI (2/3 both houses), or a statewide vote in a Nov election. Kind of wish washy on this one. Would be interested to hear what other think. I am against raising any taxes, but also realize that if we want more fire fighters, police, etc, someone has to pay for them.

Prop 6 - A PROPOSAL TO AMEND THE STATE CONSTITUTION REGARDING CONSTRUCTION OF INTERNATIONAL BRIDGES AND TUNNELS
     This one requires a statewide vote before any bridge or tunnel project (international) can even be considered. This is the biggest scam of all the props. This made it on the ballot because of one family and all TV commercials supporting this prop are funded by one family. This family just so happens to own the only bridge currently connecting Detroit and Windsor. Canada has agreed to pay for 100% of the construction of a new bridge. Everything is in place and ready to go for it. The federal government is even paying for the customs and toll booths. The state of MI literally pays zero dollars. We can still hire the same number of teachers and police and fire fighters we could without the bridge (ad claims we would be wasting money on the bridge).

What are you other MI guys thoughts on these? Election is coming up soon!

Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 10:46pm
#4 I have no specific information about Michigan but if it is the same as Minnesota tried they are trying to unionize private day care owners, most of whom are against it. Here they tried to require anyone providing daycare that was assisted by the government to be union. The door to door campaign to get cards signed involved a hugh amount of misrepresentation. Many of the people canvasing the neighborhoods had east coast accents.(Not local). Finally our union owned governor tried to go Obama and implement it by executive order. He got bitch slapped by the Minnesota courts.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic