Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1953 Aqua Skier-In Australia

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Aussie Aqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1953 Aqua Skier-In Australia
    Posted: October-04-2012 at 12:43am
Hi Guys

I purchased a 1953 Aua Skier from the states almost a year ago. It has taken a while to get here...long way to get down under.

We started and ran the old girl up, I have a 112 Gray marine engine, it has a badly leaking exhaust manifold, and a few stuck valve guides.
My biggest problem is the exhaust manifold...does anyone know where i could get a new one (thats if they make them)

Thanks for your help
Aussie Aqua
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 1:13am
Welcome Dan.Engine picture looks nice,how about some of the boat. Not to step on our experts ie Pete, toes here is a place I remember him saying has parts. Not sure they have what you want but it's a start. If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone will know,good luck
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 3:39am
Thanks Gary
I will get some photo's, she is in bits at the moment as i am making sure it is up to scratch, just got the generator re wired to 12 volt, going to re do the trailer and do paint over gal.
Aussie Aqua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 3:43am
Hi Gary

just checked out that link, i email this web site about 3 weeks ago, i recieved no responce. I sent in all my details and photos.

Maybe he may see my post and help me out, I believe this is the only one of it's kind in Australia, i really want to get it up and running for our Summer...which is on our door step.

cheers Gary

Regards
Daniel
Aussie Aqua
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 8:07am
Daniel,
Welcome to CCfan and congratulations on picking up that Aqua. From the picture, it looks like a very nice restoration.

Where is the exhaust manifold leaking?

Gray Marine Parts is notorious for not responding. It's even hard to get him on the phone. The owner bought up all the inventory when the Gray plant finally shut the doors. He has a whole warehouse full of boxes of parts and to my knowledge hasn't even opened them all up and done an inventory!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 8:32pm
Cheers Mate,
It has been repaired about 6 times, it's pretty stuffed, if i cannot locate one soon, i will make one, i just wanted to keep it in orginal spec, but it is no good sitting in the shed collecting dust, i want to use it.

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers
Daniel
Aussie Aqua
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 9:05pm
Very sweet lookin boat and to think its almost 60 years old. You have yourself a treasure
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 9:25pm
Hi Guys

just wanted to touch base and let you know that i have been in contact with Kim from Gray Marine, I cannot praise him enough, he has been extremly helpful. I have a new (old) complete motor and other parts heading my way, should leave the states in the next two weeks.

Once i get this all sorted i will keep you updated and post some pics.

cheers
Daniel
Aussie Aqua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 1:35am
Hello again

i need to do some trailer mods to get it registered, does anyone know the approx weight of trailer and boat, if it is over 1650 LBS which i think it is, i need to put brakes on it....any help would be great

cheers
Daniel
Aussie Aqua
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 2:31am
Dan there was just a thread one of your fellow countryman had posted-

first link

2nd link this is the one that has the trailer question.

I would be real surprised if your boat would weigh as much as a 2001 series. What would be wrong figuring it weighs about 1599 lbs?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I would be real surprised if your boat would weigh as much as a 2001 series. What would be wrong figuring it weighs about 1599 lbs?

The 16' glass boats are 1600 lbs, add 450 lbs for the #2 trailer and youre over 2,000... I would think a similarly sized wood boat would be a few lbs heavier, if anything. A 2001 is ~2200 lbs, not including the trailer (which is probably in the 900-1000lb range). How big is a '53 Aqua?

Either way, I would have no problem towing a rig that size without brakes with a half way capable tow vehicle- Ive towed much larger (north of 3500 lbs) without issue with a midsize SUV.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 12:46pm
His problem Tim is not if his vehicle can handle the weight,it's his countries laws. I don't know what the consequences would be if he fudged on the weight. Almost sounds like they don't check and rely on the owner telling them what it is. If it was not for CCF where would he find the weight on a 59 year old rig in another country
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

His problem Tim is not if his vehicle can handle the weight,it's his countries laws. I don't know what the consequences would be if he fudged on the weight.

Oh I realize that. But it seems a little reckless to recommend whether or not to fudge the numbers without knowing the local conventions and consequences. I know what Id do in my state though!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

But it seems a little reckless to recommend whether or not to fudge the numbers without knowing the local conventions and consequences.

I agree thats why I refered him to those other posts.It seems others there might be doing it already, but that would be his call. Lewey and him need to get together!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 8:09pm
Thanks Gents
I am strippiing the trailer now and have to put an Austrlian hitch (50mm) on it, i am just going to put a new axel and brakes on it just to be on the safe side, they way will not have any hassels with the Law...would reck a good day out.
If i do it now at the begining i know everything will be Legal and Safe.

Thank you all for your input, really appreciate it.

will keep you posted as i kick things along.

Cheers
Daniel

Picture of my & year old Son helping me out

Aussie Aqua
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 8:36pm
Dan would love to get a look at that Aqua one day.

Are you the Nautique owner JBWake mentioned in the Owners Reunion thread on Wake.com?

For our US friends the trailer laws in Australia are very different than yours. If the GVM (trailer plus boat) exceeds 750Kgs (1653 lbs) the trailer must have brakes.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 11:44pm
Yep that's me...
Small world
if you could keep this under your Hat, will be a suprise for owners reunion.
Aussie Aqua
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2012 at 9:12am
tell us more about that super air in the back! is it yours?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2012 at 8:19pm
Ha Ha nice one Kapla

i was waiting how long that would take.
It is a one off Custom Byerly Icon Edition.

Cheers
Aussie Aqua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 2:37am
hello Gents

I got the Aua out on the water over the weekend
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.553040701393153.1073741825.151511744879386&type=1

all went really well.
1 problem but, it will not stay in gear, low rpm is ok, any things i should try? i have taken of inspection plate, ontop of gear box... help

thanks in advance

Daniel
Aussie Aqua
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 8:13am
Daniel,
The drum holding the forward clutch plates needs to be tightened (not the reverse band around the drum). The outer drum is threaded onto the inner drum and you will find a retaining pin. Remove the pin and tighten the drum one turn. The shift should now "knuckle" over into gear. Since the trans shares engine oil, DO NOT use any synthetics or any additives. Straight 30 was used back then but multi is fine. I as well as many I know with the mechanical trans run it. I run 20-50.

Here's a proper link with your pictures.

PLEASE DO NOT BEACH THAT AQUA. I don't even like to see a glass boat beached. I take it this is your first wood boat? Does it take on any water?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Aqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 9:20pm
Thank you very much, will get onto that and see how i go.
That is the oil I picked as well.

I never beach my boats, i always drop weights in and hitch up to them.
I am always amazed why people beach there boats even brand new ones!

Yes this is my first woody... yes it leakes, it has a small drip coming though the driveshaft knuckle, but i am not worried about that one, I will have to go looking for the other ones, i was thinking of putting in a electric bilge pump.

thanks for doing the correct link...

Thank you again for helping me out, i really appreciate it.

cheers
Daniel
Aussie Aqua
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 10:37pm
Daniel,
I made a mistake with saying the drum needs to be tightened "one turn". What I meant to say is tighten the drum one notch of the retaining pin.

The boat looks great but it's a ply boat and it should not leak except for the shaft stuffing box. If it is leaking at seams, then it only got a "cosmetic" restoration. When you find the leaks, fill me in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic