NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red Bull Stratos-Space Jump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Bull Stratos-Space Jump
    Posted: October-09-2012 at 4:55pm
Any of you guys been following this ?

LIVE FEED

23 miles up-- and jump-- FreeFall at maybe 700 miles an hour

Aborted the Mission today at 1:45 pm.   Maybe Thursday a Go now.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 5:04pm
Funny I was just reading about this jump and scientific objectives. I think I hope it happens on Thursday.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 5:22pm
Been following Tullfooters updates on fbook
Brian
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 7:06pm
This has been done before. Joe Kittinger broke the sound barrier in free fall on Aug. 16, 1960 jumping from a height of 102,800 feet. It was part of the testing for high altitude bail outs in the early days of the space program. I've seen some of the old footage. It's a wicked looking jump where he just bails out head first. And they thought Yeager had balls.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 10:41pm
Kittingers 1960 jump

It's a long way down
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 10:51pm
Coolest thing ever (except for Kittinger's fall)

Edit;
Sorry, I did not view the video of Kittinger before calling Baugartner's feat the coolest. I used to think Aron Ralston, the guy, who cut off his arm after being pinned under a rock, the baddest dude walking the earth. Kittinger moved to the top of my list.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

rogier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 7:44am
Damn! I've met the team that is organizing this in an apres-ski bar in Austria. I thought they were bull***************ting, guess they were not!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 10:18am
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

This has been done before. Joe Kittinger broke the sound barrier in free fall on Aug. 16, 1960 jumping from a height of 102,800 feet. It was part of the testing for high altitude bail outs in the early days of the space program. I've seen some of the old footage. It's a wicked looking jump where he just bails out head first. And they thought Yeager had balls.

Kittinger did jump from 102,800' but did not break the sound barrier. I think he got up about 615mph, but with the atmosphere, supersonic was not possible. But you would think, in 1960, with the technology they had at that time, I'm surmising that those big brass balls of Kittinger fell to earth rather quickly in that glorified snowmobile suit.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Kittingers 1960 jump

It's a long way down

Gave me goose bumps.
And we think we've got balls doing 45mph on our bare feet?
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 5:31am
Some sites say Kittinger did go super sonic reaching 702 but 615 sounds more accurate. At that altitude the speed of sound is only around 660 mph on a standard day. Mach numbers change with atmospheric conditions. The higher the altitude the slower the speed of sound. High performance aircraft use mach number because the aerodynamics change when the sound barrier is broken. It's also important to know when they are entering the Mach buffer. From about .97 to 1.02 the control surfaces go through buffeting and feel unstable because of disturbance from the sound pressure cone. I can only imagine what it must feel like to go through mach buffer without any vehicle around you.

We do have balls going 45 on our bare feet. Some things are just plain insanity though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 11:25am
TX

Thanks for the information. One of the things I've read is that, because of the lack of atmosphere, Felix will feel very little, if anything, if/when he reaches Mach 1.00. When Kittinger jumped from his perch at 102,000', he said he thought he was floating (possibly forever), until he flipped over and saw his balloon rushing away. Then he realized how fast he was going.
In my opinion, these two guys have/will experience one of the most unique sensations any man has ever faced.

Agreed, jumping out of a perfectly good set of water skis at 45mph is a pretty ballsy move.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 11:36am
This is an updated video of what happened Tuesday to delay the launch. As of right now, they are shooting for Sunday morning.

Red Bull Stratos update
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 2:47pm
Granted the air is thin but I'm curious to know what the pressure cone and mach buffet are going to do to him. Remember....aerodynamics change at mach speed...That's why the delta wing was developed. And....he has to control his flight. One wrong move could mean a missing appendage.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 3:34pm
From what I've read, he has no aerodynamics while he accelerates to mach speed. It is important for him to get into position right off the porch, because he has no way to manipulate his body as in a regular jump. The other interesting aspect is that as he enters more of earth's atmosphere, it will decelerate him slowly, if you call 700 to 200mph in a couple of minutes slowly.   

Did anyone see this Kittinger jump video? He gets out of his suit, and lights up a smoke. One Bad Motha!

Kittinger Jump
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 4:09pm
Well...he has them...but I think they are extremely small. Kittinger said himself that it was an eerie jump because it didn't even ripple his suit so maybe that's not a problem. Interestingly, he claims to have surpassed the speed of sound even though the speed indications would say that he didn't. So I'm assuming he had some sort of sensation that would have told him that?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 3:29pm
Felix Baumgartner launched at 11:25 EDT this morning and is at 60,000 feet at the moment. Its being televised live on the Discovery channel. He has some kind of a failure in his faceplate heating system at the moment and his visor is beginning to fog up on him. Its also up on youtube as a live feed.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 5:22pm
He's down, 128K feet, unoffically 729 MPh, and 4:29 seconds of free fall.
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 5:32pm
AWESOME!!!
Highest manned balloon flight
Highest skydive
Fastest freefall
But freefall duration still belongs to Kittinger

Congrats Felix (and team)
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

But freefall duration still belongs to Kittinger

I would say Obama holds that record!!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 9:53pm
Careful Chris, you will get a Joe lecture on injecting politics into non-political threads. Well, at least I would. Cool Achievement on the jump.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 12:18pm
I watched it on Discovery.

At first he was tumbling. They say due to little air resistance.

Did he go over the speed of sound?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 12:32pm
Yep, Officially jumped from 128097 feet, reached 833 mph (mach 1.24)about 1 minute into the freefall.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 12:35pm
Watched it both on youtube and fox. Fox cut away as soon as he jumped because they didnt want to show anything ugly. I was a little nervous for him twice. When he was on the porch getting final instruction from Kittinger, he seemed unresponsive. And 2, when he started tumbling, that was creepy. Fortunately he got it smoothed out pretty quickly.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:48pm
Looking down from that height, standing on something the size of a skateboard I don't think I would be hearing much coming over the radio either. Probably couldn't pry my hands off those railings with dynomite.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic