NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Filter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Filter
    Posted: December-28-2005 at 8:39am
I've read on this thread throughout this board, but I just want to make sure on this one.
95 Sport with 351. Carberated.
I have not ever changed the fuel filter. It's not having any troubles--ran like the usual dream yesterday--but I want to change it. It has a small cannister type filter in the fuel line between tank and pump. It says Fram on it. I've read that I can take it apart (though some have said it's not easy) and there is an element inside that is to be replaced. Some of you, it looks like, have replaced the whole thing with a fuel/water separator. I had one of those on my old Supra and liked it. What's the verdict? Should I stick with the cannister filter and just change out the element inside or go to the fuel/water separator with the spin on element?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2005 at 5:41am
most likely what you have is a fuel/water seperator already, and you should be able to replace the fuel filter with a fuel/water seperator if it is only a fuel filter but I doubt it with your boat being the year it is. Also Fram isn't the greatest of filters as pointed out a while back by a fellow fan here. I believe that the filter media is what pulls the water out of the fuel and it's not the housing the filter is mounted to that does the seperation.

Maybe some of the other fans can chime in on recommendatons for a better quality filter over the Fram.
jefmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2005 at 7:02pm
I just replaced my filter oil/water separator canister in my 89 nautique. I also pulled out and cleaned the small screen at the carb. I installed a GLM product to replace an AC Delco product. It cost only $7. I don't have experience with Fram. The canister looks like an inverted oil filter. It screws on/off just like an oil filter.

I removed/installed the canister using an adjustable plastic wrench with rubber strap. The housing remained attached to the boat. It was very easy; it took only about 5 minutes.

Good luck.
Ski Nautique 2001
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 1:12pm
'79 is right it is the filter media that separates the water not the housing. The housing just needs to have enough space at the bottom to collect the water that coalesces off the media.

'79 is also right that Fram isn't the best as far as filters go (at least for oil, I'm sure their fuel filters aren't much better). I replaced the Fram unit on my '79 with the spin-on style unit that SkiDIM sells. I'm not sure about the quality of the element but it can't be any worse than Fram and is a whole lot easier to change.

Another note on water separation. There are some synthetic media's that naturally separate water but in general most media in this type of application is a cellulose paper with a treatment to repel water. As the media ages the treatment breaks down and the media loses it's water separating ability. For this reason you should replace your fuel filter once a year whether you think it needs it or not.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 10:05pm
Dang, 79 Nautique is right again!?!? I'm glad he posts here.
I changed my filter on my "84 recently. I removed the whole assembly (which is mounted to a stringer) and unscrewed the bottom canister. (It was tough to get off because it hadn't been changed in years.) Then I popped the new filter element into the assembley, tightened the canister back on (not too tight, 1/2 turn or something after it contects with the gasket) then put it back in the boat. It would have been difficult to do this if I hadn't removed the entire assembly.
Does this sound like the type of filter you have? I think most of us have older boats and I'm not sure about the newer ones (ok, to me a 95 is pretty new).
Skidim.com has always done a great job helping me out. Check out their website and see what your boat has. If it's the canister style, just order the element and do it. Now that I know how, it's easy.
The water collects in the bottom of the canister. You can unscrew a plug in the bottom to drain it if you have to. The element should be changed once a year. Mine wasn't and it somehow kept running.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2006 at 6:04am
I removed the filter and its an old time fuel filter. No canister. Just an in-line fuel filter. Looks exactly like this one out of the skidim catalogue--
On skidim it's in the section under EFI filters. Although most 95s were EFI, mine isn't. The dealer I bought it from claimed they ordered all EFIs in 94 when they first came out, but had so many troubles with them they refused to order them again in 95. So my 351 is a Pro Boss HO w/gt-40 heads instead of a legit gt-40.
Anyway, obviously the filter I had worked. I can replace it easily, but I'm not convinced it's the best choice. I'd like to just put one of those spin on fuel/water seperators, but am not sure I have enough room. My filter right now is held in a bracket screwed to a stringer on the port side, just aft of the tranny.
I emailed skidim, but they haven't responded. I guess I'll have to call them.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2006 at 7:52am
Dude:

My recommendation is that you go ahead and install a filter/water seperator. On my '77, I made a steel bracket out of 1.5"x1/4" flat bar stock welded into a flat "L" shape. I bolted this to the front of the block just ahead of the oil pressure sending unit (there are two unused threaded bosses in this location, at least on my engine). I mounted the water seperator on this bracket. My reasoning behind my suggestion is that I have experience first hand what water in the fuel can do to carburetors...internal corrosion. Once the corrosion starts, the carburetor is basically junk as the rust particles foul the needle valve.

As an aside (and not really important), but my thougts on how the water seperator work is that the filtering media actually absorbs the water and holds it while letting the fuel pass through. So, once the media is saturated with water, and can hold no more, it will start letting it go through. Conseqeuntly, be sure to change the filter often, especially the first two times or so as your tank may have quit a bit of water in it. Just think of those blankets or pads that you can through in your bilge to soak up oil but not water...the water seperator kind of works like that except in reverse...I THINK (definately could be wrong here)!

Bottom line: Add that filter/seperator. I have seen two types. One simple has a screw on/off canister just like a oil filter. the other is similiar, but has a metal canister on the bottom of the filter which is re-used, but screws on/off (filter is open at both ends).
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2006 at 8:47pm
I agree with David. Unless someone can give you a good reason not to, or it just won't fit anywhere, put in a water separator. Trace the fuel line all the way to the tank just to be sure one isn't tucked away some where. Back to the Rose Bowl. Go Longhorns!
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2006 at 5:35am
Hmmm... I always thought that water seperators operated by gravity alone. Water is heavier than gas, so it settles to the bottom of the canister rather than passing through the filter media. The canister can then be periodically drained from the bottom to let any water out.

Remeber the old glass bowl style filters that were on 1950's cars? Water always collects in the bottom of the glass bowl and then the fuel passes through the strainer screen on top.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2006 at 7:44am
You are probably correct. I know you are correct about how the glass bowl types work, but some of the water seperator/fuel filters do not have the bowl on the bottom. So, unless the media traps and holds the water, I would think it would get pushed through.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2006 at 9:00am
See my above post about water separation, I know what I'm talking about. I've designed fuel filters for diesel engines with water separators.

The filter media does not hold the water, it allows fuel to pass but the water will not. The water then coalesces down the filter media due to gravity and collects at the bottom of the can. The purpose of the transparent bowls is so you can see the water and drain it.

You tend not to see plastic and glass bowls on marine engines though because there are regulations mandating metal filter enclosures for fire safety. Fuel filter/water separators without the glass/plastic bowl on the bottom still have empty space in them below the filter element to allow space for the water to collect without contacting the filter media.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2006 at 7:57pm
I went ahead and put in the fuel water separator that is the mercury type with the spin off filter. I put it in the same place the other filter was and didn't have to cut or replace any fuel line that way. Only problem is I'll have to unscrew housing out of stringer to spin off filter. Eventually I'm going to get more fuel line and move the filter to the front of the engine compartment and secure it with a home made bracket. But I needed to get this done fast so I can get out and ski tomorrow.
This forum rocks and you guys all give excellent and trustworthy advice. I'm thinking about making up a whole lot of other questions just to read your answers. Thanks!
p.s. my 5th&6th grade girls basketball team was shut out tonight. SHUT OUT! ZERO! I guess I need to pay more attention to getting my team ready and less time on the boat.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2006 at 12:16pm
do not use a spin on filter in an inboard bilge , that fram is made for inboards , napa sells new filters for it
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2006 at 1:04pm
Ok why not???? the factory does!!! are they stupid I guess?????????
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2006 at 2:18pm
the metal on spin on filters is very thin , they can rust out from the inside and leak , the fram will rust inside the bottom where the water sits , but is thick and has a drain plug , spin on filters are made for outboards
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2006 at 5:23pm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AVIATION-MARINE-NEW-FRAM-FUEL-FILTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26439QQitemZ4603403365QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 9:20am
Awhite is correct about the way a fuel/water separators work. The spin-on is the BEST way to do this on a gas marine engine. If the filter is serviced (replaced) as a regular maintenance item, like at least once a year, rust will not be a issue. Mercruiser has used them for years & Look at any newer inboard boats. If you have the amount of water in your fuel to do what john33617 states above, you've got more problems than replacing the fuel filter will solve. I would not ever use the inline automotive type that is pictured above. They don't filter fuel before the pump & Thats 2 more areas close to the dist. & carb that can leak. I would rather have a one piece metal tube from the pump to the carb. Try this e-bay find instead.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARINE-FUEL-WATER-SEPERATOR-FILTER-ASSEMBLY-20901A_W0QQitemZ4604625377QQcategoryZ26451QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
NO LONGER A MEMBER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic