NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive Prop Rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive Prop Rotation
    Posted: December-31-2005 at 12:07am
Hi All
    I have a 1968 Ski Nautique which I have just completed a 5 year restoration on.

Stats
Engine Chrysler 383 V8
Gear box: Velvet Drive AS11-72C with a R stamped below near Warner Gear Div.

My problem:
Boat only goes in forward direction when Reverse is selected.

I have read the borg Warner Manuels and it seems so far that I have the wrong direction prop.

Can anyone out there with a Chrysler 383 with AS11-72CR borg warner gearbox tell me the following things

What Direction does your fly wheel spin, when viewing it from the back of the motor
CW clock wise
CCW counter clockwise

When you engage the gearbox in Forward does the shaft spin in the same direction as the fly wheel.

What Direction is you prop. Left hand or Right viewed from the rear of the boat.

Any help is much apreciated.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2005 at 6:15am
I would say that you have the pump reversed in the tranny and that it should be a reverse rotation engine with a right hand prop. The transmission can rotate in either direction depending which way the pump is instaled
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2005 at 1:33pm
I agree with 79. I just finished a rebuild on my Velvet Drive and there are arrows on the pump to indicate rotation. You can see the arrows on the bottom left and top right in the picture. Mine is RH. Put the arrow that corresponds to your rotation at the top.
Bob Ed
83 2001
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2005 at 8:57pm
Hi Chris & Bob
Thanks for the replies.
   I was hoping that you were going to say that.

I was unsure if that would work as I read in the Manuel that changing the pump rotation does not influence the output shaft direction.

I had the gear box rebuilt prior to install. The guy who did the rebuild did not check with me the engine rotation so I am hoping that that is all that is wrong.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2005 at 11:51pm
G
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 1:50am
Hi rmcdonald
I hate to tell you this, but if your pump is oriented wrong your transmission won't turn with the engine.

You can't change the direction of prop rotation by changing the pump orientation.In other words you can't make a RH rotation engine turn the prop in the LH direction. If the prop turns then the pump is oriented right and your prop is wrong.

Do a search on here for a post t*tled "BW velvet drive installed backwards" and you'll see some info.
I'm much more familiar with a 71C but this also pertains to a 72C.

Some transmissions can change the direction of rotation but not a 71C or 72C that has a 1:1 ratio.

Keno
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic