Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Johnny Black View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring Question
    Posted: November-20-2012 at 6:18pm
Hi Gents

I recently replaced my floor and in the process some wires pulled out. I think the previous owner already had non standard wiring. on the portside close to the dipstick there is a loose wire (could be oil pressure) and on starboard opposite the gear selector.

The thermostat wire is also loose. all the wires if the harness have a spot.

The boat is a '83SN2001 chev350

Where does the wires in the pictures go?
Does the thermostat wire connect directly to the temp gauge (if yes which terminal?
Thanks for the help

83 Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2012 at 7:37pm
In the second picture, it looks like you are pointing to the Neutral Safety Switch. This is part of the engine starter circuit. The engine should not crank unless the transmission is in neutral... and it won't crank if this is not hooked up right.

The first pic is a little tough to decipher. Also, the wire is the same color as the NSS... and shouldn't be if it is for the temp gauge.

This might help also:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 2:23am
thanks for the diagram, I will try decipher it. the first picture is not of the thermostat, it is close to the dipstick, at what i think could be the oilpump (oilressure sender?) see its seperate on the diagram.should it run directly to the guage then. The guage does have a blue wire running through harness, should this maybe end up on the sensor?

I thought the 2nd one could be the neutral switch, think its disabled though sine the engine starts. how does this hook up to work?
83 Ski Nautique
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 10:21am
Zander,
here is another diagram that might be helpful.

83Ski
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Johnny Black Johnny Black wrote:

thanks for the diagram, I will try decipher it. the first picture is not of the thermostat, it is close to the dipstick, at what i think could be the oilpump (oilressure sender?) see its seperate on the diagram.should it run directly to the guage then. The guage does have a blue wire running through harness, should this maybe end up on the sensor?

I thought the 2nd one could be the neutral switch, think its disabled though sine the engine starts. how does this hook up to work?

That most likely is the oil pressure sender then. Does it look kinda like this: ?

Yup, usually all the engine stuff goes to that harness connection. So, the blue wire should come from the dash, to the harness connector, then to the engine. The Previous owner maybe went around the harness? Not sure.

On the NSS, it has two connections, but both connections are the same wire, you know what I mean? Then, the NSS just opens and closes the switch. So, it only allows current to flow to the starter solenoid when the tranny is in neutral.

Don, nice diagram from Skidim, never saw that one before.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 7:14pm
from the diagrams and some visual inspection, it seems like the first photo above are that of the optional oil pressure switch and the second indeed that of the NSS. The other loose wire is connected to the optional audio warning water temperature heat switch. These 2 are connected to each other with the tan/blu wire. Both these are connect to the instrument panel to a buzzer which I do not have. The oil switch is just above the oil pump and the water temp switch just below the water temp sender

The attached diagram also helped.

Since there is not buzzer, I suppose I can leave the warning switches?
The actual oil and temp senders are connected the the instrument panel gauges. The NSS does not seem to be working which is probably why it is disconnected. Would like to get it working in the long run though.
83 Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 2:21pm
I'm a little fuzzy on the warning buzzer stuff.

But, it is fairly common for people to disable them, or for them to not be installed at all. So, it makes sense.

As long as your dash gauges are connected, it sounds like you are in good shape.

I'm guessing someone took the key starter wire from the input side of the NSS, and went right to the starter solenoid with it. They must have been having trouble with the NSS.

You could test your NSS for continuity while shifting in and out of gear (with the engine off of course). If it's not working, you could replace it before wiring to it again. You can get them at Skidim, Nautiqueparts etc.
Charkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Johnny Black Johnny Black wrote:

from the diagrams and some visual inspection, it seems like the first photo above are that of the optional oil pressure switch and the second indeed that of the NSS. The other loose wire is connected to the optional audio warning water temperature heat switch. These 2 are connected to each other with the tan/blu wire. Both these are connect to the instrument panel to a buzzer which I do not have. The oil switch is just above the oil pump and the water temp switch just below the water temp sender

The attached diagram also helped.

Since there is not buzzer, I suppose I can leave the warning switches?
The actual oil and temp senders are connected the the instrument panel gauges. The NSS does not seem to be working which is probably why it is disconnected. Would like to get it working in the long run though.

I was looking for the diagram you have shared it. Thanks it is very useful
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic